Almost Cut My Hair

Wooden Ships

Teach Your Children

http://bit.ly/tBm3xg

A little more CSN

http://bit.ly/sqwuSp

tumblr_ltmkrbMkfj1qjoyjs.jpg

Crosby, Stills & Nash - The Acoustic Concert (1991) DVD AudioRip

The soaring, unmistakable harmonies of Crosby, Stills & Nash bring to life one classic song after another in Acoustic, the unique concert DVD of their greatest hits. This footage was captured live at San Francisco’s Warfield Theater in November, 1991, and the intimate feeling of their pure acoustic music is simply magic. The New York Times music critic Robert Palmer once observed that CSN were “acoustic folkies at heart.†Entertainment as pure as this will always be in style. CSN - artists for whom the word supergroup was invented. They brought together strands of distinctly different pop groups - David Crosby from the Byrds, Steven Stills from Buffalo Springfield, and Graham Nash from the Hollies - and wove a completely original sound. Ever since Crosby, Stills & Nash were catapulted into the spotlight at Woodstock, they’ve continued to charm millions of fans. Through two decades of incredible changes, their appeal has endured. As Graham Nash explained, “One reason why people love this band is that there’s an emotional connection between us and our audience. We’ve just tried to be true to ourselves.â€

mp3@320

Track List:

01. Deja Vu

02. Helplessly Hoping

03. Just A Song Before I Go

04. Guinnevere

05. Marrakesh Express

06. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

07. Long Time Gone

08. To The Last Whale A) Critical Mass B) Wind On The Water

09. Try to Find Me

10. 1000 Roads

11. For What It’s Worth

12. Taken At All

13. Wooden Ships

14. Our House

15. Daylight Again

16. Find The Cost of Freedom

17. Teach Your Children

http://bit.ly/sqwuSp

http://bit.ly/sCeeZn

tumblr_ltogay6xcA1qjoyjs.jpg

Pure Jerry 08 - Marin Veterans Memorial Auditorium 2-28-86

The eighth in the Pure Jerry series offers the first official full release of acoustic music from Jerry Garcia and John Kahn. Soundboard copies of this show have not been in circulation, so it’s a special treat to hear the complete two-set show. Garcia and Kahn deliver a solid performance with a nice blend of old folk songs, a Dylan tune and Hunter-Garcia classics.

This line from the back cover sums it all up nicely, “Aside from its main purpose - celebrating Jerry Garcia’s and John Kahn’s wonderfully sweet performance of February 28, 1986 - this recording clearly proves the value of vision, hard work and modern science. Enjoy it with our best wishes and in good health.â€

mp3@320

Track List

1. Deep Elem Blues

2. Little Sadie

3. Friend Of The Devil

4. When I Paint My Masterpiece

5. Spike Driver Blues

6. Run For The Roses

7. Dire Wolf

8. Jack-A-Roe

9. Oh Babe, It Ain’t No Lie

10. Bird Song >

11. Ripple >

12. Goodnight Irene

http://bit.ly/sCeeZn

http://bit.ly/tAwfDP

tumblr_ltoiq12uIH1qjoyjs.jpg

John Prine - The Singing Mailman Delivers

The Singing Mailman Delivers, the first true archival release from John Prine, is a collection of early takes of the songs that would largely make up his self-titled debut. One half of the double-disc set is a collection of demos recorded at a radio station, the other a performance at Chicago’s Fifth-Peg. Many of the staples on John Prine: “Angel From Montgomery,†“Hello In There,†“Sam Stone†(or its working title here, a bit more telling: “Great Society Conflict Veteran’s Bluesâ€), still make up the heart of Prine’s oeuvre as a songwriter and performer today, four decades later.

“Twenty-four years old and writes like he’s two-hundred and twenty,†wrote Kris Kristofferson in the liner notes to John Prine. Prine’s narrators too, the men and women singing his songs: the middle-aged housewife, the old couple whose kids have grown up and left, the kid whose heart’s just been broken, all feel older than they should.

The songs themselves feel ancient. Prine’s singing on “Blue Umbrella,†“Angel From Montgomery,†and “Paradise†sounds as weary and weathered as his disillusioned characters. It’s even more apparent in the live set, where many of the songs result, almost bizarrely, in crowd-pleasing sing-alongs, as if at twenty-four Prine is already the well-traveled veteran troubadour he is today. His songs, to anyone whose ever heard them, are like creation myths, part of our shared vocabulary, holding more weight than they can sometimes bear, from their very moment of inception.

“He starts slow,†said Roger Ebert, in his now-famous review “Singing Mailman Who Delivers A Powerful Message In A Few Words,†after hearing Prine for the first time, “but after a song or two, even the drunks in the room begin to listen to his lyrics. And then he has you.â€

One night in November 1970 in Chicago, it took four songs to win over the drunks. Prine is so very young: self-conscious, goofy, and arrogant enough to introduce his next song like this: “This is a song me and Francis Scott Key wrote not too long ago, he writes political songs and I write love songs…it’s a hate song to a woman I love.†He may be suggesting he’s written his own version of our creation myth, a song we can all sing out loud, because it’s 1970, and stars and stripes and bombs bursting in air isn’t going to cut it anymore, or more precisely: “Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymoreâ€. The audience laughs at all this—the previous song, after all, was a comic, absurdist anti-war song— and though Prine may not yet have the drunks listening, he’s already won these people over.

He introduces the next song further, and things don’t seem as funny anymore: “It’s about a kid that went out looking for America and he found her in a bar room, drinking, she was feeling bad.†And then he starts.

“The Great Compromise†is still very new and Prine treats it carefully, gives it special attention. His singing is tremendous, but he’s also careful, he knows this is a delicate setting, this folk club, so he interrupts the sad singer’s story and tries to keep the mood light, a wisecrack here or there, so as to keep his distance from whoever’s singing this song, because maybe he’s a little afraid of what’s being said.

Josh Ritter, one of Prine’s finest disciples, on his album The Animal Years: “I wrote a record, which I meant to write about this country, and it all came out sounding like a love song.†In the “The Great Compromise,†a girl named America breaks the singer’s heart. She hops into another man’s foreign sports car (“a Hanoi Hudson,†Prine adds, not insignificantly) when he’s not looking, but there will be no warfare, not even a fight, just a lot of bad dreams. By the last verse she’s become a sick woman, and it’s no fun not-believing in her anymore: “but sometimes I get awful lonesome, and I wish she was my girl instead, but she won’t let me live with her, and she makes me live in my head.†If all lasting relationships, as they say, are about compromise, then this lady, full of “blossom and beauty, born on the 4th of July,†hasn’t kept up her end of the bargain.

If America really is a woman, then Prine’s earliest songs are tales of her cruelest endeavors: she robs men of their childhood paradises and turns them into little souvenirs that make them cry, and then she leaves them standing in the rain, feet cold and wet, trying to think this whole thing over. They may all just be hate songs to a woman Prine loves. - Jonathan Bernstein

mp3@320

Track List

CD1:

01 – Hello in There

02 – Souvenirs

03 – Great Society Conflict Veteran’s Blues

04 – Paradise

05 – Blue Umbrella

06 – Aw Heck

07 – Illegal Smile

08 – Flashback Blues

09 – Frying Pan

10 – Sour Grapes

11 – A Star, a Jewel and a Hoax

CD2:

01 – Flashback Blues

02 – Hello in There

03 – Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore

04 – The Great Compromise

05 – Blue Umbrella

06 – Illegal Smile

07 – Angel From Montgomery

08 – A Good Time

09 – Hey Good Lookin’Jambalaya (On the Bayou)

10 – Quiet Man

11 – Paradise

12 – Great Society Conflict Veteran’s Blues

13 – Spanish Pipedream

http://bit.ly/tAwfDP

http://bit.ly/uYNK2L

tumblr_ltqrrzEbks1qjoyjs.jpg

Umphrey’s McGee

2011-10-24

Death by Stereo In Studio Webcast, Chicago, IL

This rare in studio live performance was recorded at IV Lab studios in Chicago, IL for the Death By Stereo pre-order webcast. Hear this unique side of UM complete with acoustic, electric and solo performances alongside hilarious banter.

mp3@256

Track List

Set I:

Domino Theory

FF* >

Booth Love

Puppet String

Deeper >

“Jimmy Stewart†>

#Glory

Miami Virtue

Set II:

Search 4^

Orfeo^^

The Weight Around@

Susanah@@

The Pequod@@ >

Dim Sun@@ >

The Pequod@@

August@@** >

Keefer@@ >

August

End of the Road@@

Hajimemashite >

The Floor

* with The Fussy Dutchman teases

# with All In Time tease

^ just Jake on acoustic; “demo†version

^^ just Joel on piano

@ just Brendan on acoustic

@@ with Brendan and Jake on acoustics

** with Head Over Heels (Tears for Fears) teases

http://bit.ly/uYNK2L

http://bit.ly/tzxraE

tumblr_ltxqcvBlJt1qjoyjs.jpg

Rush - ABC 1974: The First American Broadcast

The history of the ever mighty Rush goes back to 1968 when the group first got together, but it was not until 1974 that the band proper -with Neil Peart joining Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson to make for the line-up we have known and loved ever since - came to the fore. Peart joined just two weeks before Rush’s first US tour and it was during this American jaunt that the guys played the infamous Agora Ballroom, Cleveland - a venue at which the group would go onto play numerous more shows during their formative years. At their 1974 booking however, radio station WMMS radio was on hand to broadcast the whole event across the airwaves and thus make this particular gig a somewhat notorious event as well as being Rush’s very first radio broadcast. The set played by the group that hot August evening in America’s dark industrial underbelly includes songs from their debut album, Rush, and features two early versions of cuts from their sophomore record, Fly by Night. The show also contained a cover of Larry Williams ‘Bad Boy’ - a 1950s rocker and no mistake - plus incredibly, two excellent tracks that have never been released on any previous Rush release; the super-rare ‘Fancy Dancer’ and ‘Garden Road’, both composed in their very earliest incarnation before Neil Peart was on board. The package is completed by three bonus tracks from their second US broadcast, back at the ABC a year later, and again courtesy of their by then long time champions, WMMR Cleveland. All three songs from the 75 set originated on Fly By Night. This rare recording, now available legitimately for the first time and with de-luxe packaging, designed with the collector in mind, will prove a must have item for Rush’s enormous army of fans still fighting the cause well over 40 years into a quite marvellous career.

mp3@320

Track List

Agora Ballroom, Cleveland, Ohio, 1974 WMMS FM Broadcast:

1. Finding My Way

2. The Best I Can

3. Need Some Love

4. In The End

5. Fancy Dancer

6. In The Mood

7. Bad Boy

8. Here Again

9. Working Man