Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/M45G3j

tumblr_m5klylK3cy1qjoyjs.jpg

It's hard not to read the name of Chris Robinson's second post-Black Crowes venture as a jab at his brother Rich: the brothers brawled through two incarnations of the Crowes in the '90s and 2000s, and only now has Chris found his Brotherhood, now that he has once again parted ways with Rich. Of course, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood also strikes up a communal hippie vibe on their 2012 debut Big Moon Ritual, an album they recorded after touring for nearly a year, so it bears all the scars of the road along with a healthy disregard of clock and calendar. It is, as they say, how these things used to be made: bands used to tour forever, then roll themselves into the studio, knock out a session, then head back out on the never-ending road. It also happens to be how the Crowes closed out their career, cutting the exceptional 2009 LP Before the Frost…Until the Freeze live in front of an audience at Levon Helm's upstate New York barn, and Robinson picks up that thread here, channeling that loose live spirit within the studio. Perhaps the Brotherhood is a shade too loose -- "Tulsa Yesterday" opens with its sprawling 12 minutes and no song dips below the seven-minute mark -- but the time passes smoothly as the music ebbs and flows, never diving into a grimy, gritty murk but rolling across a pretty, hazy sunset. Surely, it's steeped in the '70s -- so much so there are analog synthesizers straight out of A Clockwork Orange -- but there isn’t a self-conscious retro-revival here; the Chris Robinson Brotherhood spends their time doing what comes naturally, and the music flows easily, even alluringly, as they jam with no care of when they began or where they will end. - allmusic.com

mp3@320

Track List:

01. Tulsa Yesterday

02. Rosalee

03. Star Or Stone

04. Tomorrow Blues

05. Reflections On A Broken Mirror

06. Beware, Oh Take Care

07. One Hundred Days Of Rain

http://bit.ly/M45G3j

http://bit.ly/M16dXj

tumblr_m5o99nNOkV1qjoyjs.jpg

John Butler – Tin Shed Tales

Recorded in a few intimate venues around rural Australia, Tin Shed Tales really brings out the authenticity in John Butler’s music. In all fairness, John Butler’s not exactly an artist you’d ever describe as ‘commercial’ but with his latest release he really hones in on the rawness of each performance. And by performance, I mean performance. Each track isn’t just a song, it’s a snippet from a live show and is often preceded with an introduction detailing the songs importance.

The tracks themselves are a mixed bunch. An old favourite Zebra fails to disappoint whilst newbie Kimberley really strikes a chord with the listener. Ever the campaigner, John Butler has been a strong voice for the Indigenous communities in the Kimberley region of Western Australia and this track pays homage to the land that’s being fought over by a mining company. “Tell you a story about a girl named Kimberley/Who all the cowboys want because she was wild and freeâ€. The lyrics personify the land to truly emote how much this land means to Butler and the many, many others who support the Save the Kimberley campaign.

The likes of Better Than and Used To Get High from Butler’s 2007 album ‘Grand National’ seem even more personal in the recordings on Tin Shed Tales. Pinjarra isn’t a song, but a lovely story explaining why LA born Butler is so passionate about Australia (his Dad was Australian and they moved to Fremantle when Butler was young). Butler’s family ties are also examined in My Grandfather’s Guitar whilst Mystery Man gets straight into the music with Butler’s heart wrenching melodies.

Over all, it’s a raw album of over twenty tracks with many instrumentals and spoken stories that highlight the unmanufactured nature of Butler’s song-crafting. It teeters on the edge of getting too political, but ultimately that’s what Butler’s fans know and love. A great reminder of how straying from the mainstream can still result in great success. - Catherine May

mp3@320

Track List:

01 – Acknowledging Ancestors

02 – Johnny’s Gone

03 – Grass In Greener

04 – Better Than

05 – We Drove Out To Kalgoorlie

06 – Gonna Be A Long Time

07 – Joseph & Paddy Roe

08 – Kimberley

09 – My Grandfather’s Guitar

10 – Danny Boy

11 – Pickapart

12 – Koprivshtitsa

12 – Mystery Man

13 – Revolution

14 – Guy On My Shoulder

15 – Used To Get High

16 – Pinjarra

17 – Treat Yo Mama

18 – Losing You

19 – Yogurt & Football

20 – Zebra

21 – A Good Friend

22 – Ocean

http://bit.ly/M16dXj

Any fans of The Frames or the movie/musical "Once" will dig this. Hansard is an incredible perfomer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/rs-live/glen-hansard-plays-new-solo-tunes-performs-cuts-from-rhythm-and-repose-20120611#ooid=NhZGswNTp3CzJih_3RHSvvFtGcqigVEO,ViY2swNTrZyDiNSQmfMR0utT52lYnbo3

http://bit.ly/NfadCV

tumblr_m5vlx4PQYe1qjoyjs.jpg

Glen Hansard – Rhythm and Repose

Glen Hansard dropped out of school nearly three decades ago to busk on the streets of Dublin, and he’s long since learned how to fill the open air with his voice. He can boom stridently with the brashest belters, while the signature hole in his acoustic guitar — the product of countless pummeling strums — embodies the wear-and-tear of a life lived with outsize emotions. As lead singer of The Frames, Hansard often muses over intense desires and the pursuit of redemption (“I want my life to make more sense,†he sang in 1999’s “Pavement Tuneâ€), and that’s frequently meant bellowing with messianic ferocity.

Hansard’s life has taken some wild and mostly glorious turns in the past five or six years: He starred in the tiny indie film Once, which won him and singer/costar Marketa Irglova an Academy Award for their irresistible and now-ubiquitous song “Falling Slowly.†The Frames largely gave way to The Swell Season, in which he and Irglova — lovers who soon parted, only to continue collaborating professionally and as friends — performed as a duo, with an assist from Hansard’s old bandmates. Most recently, their movie together spawned a Broadway sensation, to the tune of eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical.

As a singer who’s now releasing his first solo album, Hansard can still make the rafters shake, but he’s grown increasingly sparing in his intensity. Particularly on his most recent studio recordings, Hansard has steered frequently toward the slow burn: Unlike many pop singers with large and expressive voices (and even the somewhat more nuanced likes of his long-ago guitar tech Jeff Buckley), Hansard often lets his songs simmer to a stop without giving in to a cathartic release along the way.

A gentle, breezy bummer, Rhythm and Repose (out June 19) is Hansard’s quietest record yet; to put it mildly, it spends more time in repose than it spends enslaved by the rhythm. Other than a few showy climaxes in its midsection (“High Hope†and “Bird of Sorrow,†to be exact), Rhythm and Repose remains content mostly to seethe lightly, with much of its instrumentation employed for the purpose of subtle shading. Those seeking vein-bulging thunder will have to plunge back into Hansard’s rich catalog, or wait to see him command yet another live stage. In the meantime, he still sings of the same things — unrequited longing, mistakes repeated, the enduring pursuit of grace and joy — but they’re channeled here through a mature mind in a mellow mood.

Copyright 2012 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/

mp3@320

Track List:

01 – You Will Become

02 – Maybe Not Tonight

03 – Talking with the Wolves

04 – High Hope

05 – Bird of Sorrow

06 – The Storm, It’s Coming

07 – Love Don’t Leave Me Waiting

08 – What Are We Gonna Do

09 – Races

10 – Philander

11 – Song of Good Hope

http://bit.ly/NfadCV

http://bit.ly/LDIV5C

Keller Williams & The Travelin McCourys - Pick

tumblr_m5oae8b7Eq1qjoyjs.jpg

For the brand new recording Pick, singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Keller Williams teams up with Nashville’s beloved bluegrass family The Travelin’ McCourys.

As revered and successful as each act is in their own right, Pick is a classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Recorded at Music City’s famed Butcher Shoppe studios, the album’s 12 songs – a mix of originals and covers – put a unique twist on Americana music’s long storytelling tradition, and the impeccable musicianship displayed on Pick captures all the heart and heartache of the bluegrass genre. But the songs don’t stop there. Williams’ unconventional songwriting takes on unsuspecting weight when backed by The Travelin’ McCourys’ emotive tones. Inspired by Keller’s fearless creativity, the McCourys’ flawless playing gets depth.

Keller Williams with The Travelin’ McCourys: It’s a perfect, albeit unexpected fit.

mp3@320

Track List:

1. Something Else

2. American Car

3. Messed Up Just Right

4. Mullet Cut

5. The Graveyard Shift

6. I Am Elvis

7. What A Waste

8. Broken Convertible

9. I’m Amazed

10. Price Tag

11. Sexual Harassment

12. Bumper Sticker

http://bit.ly/LDIV5C

On initial listen (and a better copy should be out next month) I don't enjoy this one nearly as much as the Floyd, Radiohead and Beatles releases. Still fun. Gonna do my best to hit the Lee's Palace show. Great live band.

http://bit.ly/N8Mioi

tumblr_m6loc8zcI81qjoyjs.jpg

Easy Star All-Stars – Easy Star’s Thrillah

Following up on the hugely successful reggae tribute albums of Dub Side of the Moon (2003), Radiodread (2006) and Easy Star’s Lonely Hearts Dub Band (2009) comes the reggae adaptation of the greatest selling record of all time – Michael Jackson’s Thriller. The album, titled Easy Star’s Thrillah will be released August 28, 2012 (a day before the 53rd anniversary of Jackson’s birth). Easy Star’s Thrillah brings back several of the reggae stars from previous albums, such as vocalists Michael Rose (Black Uhuru), Steel Pulse, Luciano, Mojo Morgan (Morgan Heritage), alongside the diverse playing of guests Yossi Fine (David Bowie, Lou Reed, Stanley Jordan), Joe Tomino (Dub Trio/Matisyahu), Andy Farag (Umphrey’s McGee), and horn tracks courtesy of Israel’s highly-acclaimed funk/hip-hop band Hadag Nachash. The album will be preceded by the July 10th digital release of the Billie Jean EP, which includes two album tracks, along with non-album remixes and a dub version.

In selecting Thriller, Easy Star Records co-founder Lem Oppenheimer says, “We’ve always tackled the greats - The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Radiohead - but while we wanted to take on another huge album, we also wanted to blaze new trails. In Thriller we found those new trails in a number of firsts for the series: the first album by an American artist, the first non-concept album, the first R&B/soul record, as well as the first release from the 80s.â€

“For me, I was most excited for Thriller,†says producer/arranger/guitarist Michael Goldwasser. “I was always more of an R&B/soul and reggae kid growing up and I have an intense personal connection to Michael Jackson’s music.†As usual, the process initially involved Goldwasser spending a few months on arranging the songs. “Writing the arrangements for this album was a cool challenge. I didn’t have to try to make non-dance music into dance music as on our previous albums because the original Thriller is so danceable already, but I needed to find ways to make each song groove in a different way from the original version. I didn’t want any of the arrangements to be obvious in that regard.†In the end, Goldwasser’s arrangements are some of the most interesting in his career.

mp3@320

Track List:

01 – Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’

02 – Baby Be Mine

03 – The Girl Is Mine

04 – Thriller

05 – Beat It

06 – Billie Jean

07 – Human Nature

08 – P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)

09 – The Lady In My Life

10 – Dub It

11 – Close To Midnight

http://bit.ly/N8Mioi

MMMMMMMMMMM .... so good

http://bit.ly/LilS4m

Muddy Waters & The Rolling Stones - Live At The Checkerboard Lounge Chicago 1981

tumblr_m722pla0vq1qjoyjs.jpg

On July 10, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release a very cool piece of rock and blues history — Muddy Waters & The Rolling Stones Live at The Checkerboard Lounge Chicago 1981 — on CD and DVD.

On November 22, 1981, the Stones were crossing the US on tour when they had a night off in Chicago. What to do? It was a no-brainer: Muddy Waters was in town, performing at his own club, The Checkerboard Lounge.

Obviously, the Stones stopped in to check him out. Muddy soon called Mick Jagger, Ron Wood, Keith Richards and Ian Stewart (the band’s touring piano player and one of its earliest semi-members) onto the stage, and the four Stones jammed with Muddy and his band to the delight of Muddy’s lucky patrons.

Luckily, it was all caught on camera and recorded. You can check out a low-quality YouTube video of the night in the clip below — but don’t worry, the DVD looks and sounds much better, thanks to DTS Surround Sound, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Stereo. The 90-minute performance was mixed and mastered by Bob Clearmountain.

The performance, which also features Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, has been available only as a bootleg (and in low-quality YouTube videos!), but this is the complete package. This slice of history also will be released as a DVD/2LP vinyl set on September 11. - Guitar World

mp3@320

Track List:

1) Introduction Instrumental

2) You Don’t Have To Go

3) Baby Please Don’t’ Go

4) Hoochie Coochie Man

5) Long Distance Call

6) Mannish Boy

7) Got My Mojo Working

8) Next Time You See Me

9) One Eyed Woman

10) Clouds In My Heart