Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/KEKanI

tumblr_m53ioi9fwo1qjoyjs.jpg

Neil Young - Americana

String together songs such as “Cortez the Killer,†“Pocahontas,†“Like an Inca,†“Powderfinger,†“Goin’ Home†and others from throughout Neil Young’s career, and you get a Howard Zinn-like alternative history of New World conquest, an accounting of what has been lost by indigenous people and the environment to violence and greed.

With “Americana†(Reprise), Young funnels that worldview through a series of folk standards, some so ancient and familiar that they are now thought of as quaint, children’s songs, ingrained in the heads of kindergartners by the million. But these songs also tell a deeper story about how America was built, and the album lays it out without sugarcoating.

In folk tradition, Young gives the songs new life by boldly reconfiguring (and electrifying) them with his longtime band Crazy Horse, their first collaboration since 2003. For this quartet with decades of shared history, the process of recording is a kind of folk music; they set up and play in real time, letting the music ebb and surge in the moment with little regard to technical precision or steady tempos. Snippets of conversation between songs enhance the feeling of a studio session with all the formality of a campfire sing-along.

An unusually intense sing-along with electric guitars, that is. These performances don’t want to further embalm the folk classics, they aim to amplify the blood and violence beneath the pre-school-approved melodies. Young’s guitar punches out Morse Code notes, shadowboxing with Frank “Pancho†Sampedro’s rhythm guitar and Billy Talbot’s bass. Ralph Molina’s drumming moves like a locomotive: deliberate, massive, punctuated by cymbal splashes that suggest a train-whistle blast.

Together, they strip the songs of easy familiarity and create a narrative of how America was shaped and at what cost. The tragedy of “Clementine†is laid bare with ghostly harmonies, thundering tom-tom drums and craggy guitars. “Tom Dula†loses the buoyancy of the Kingston Trio hit version from the ‘50s (when it was known as “Tom Dooleyâ€). The backing chorus sounds like the restless hectoring of a crowd gathered in the town square for a hanging. They circle like vultures as Young burrows into the song’s brooding, murder-ballad origins.

The very next track, “Gallows Pole,†shifts the perspective to the condemned, who pleads for a little more time so that his lover might arrive to bribe the executioner for his freedom. In this cut-throat world, darkly comedic relief is provided by “Get a Job,†in which Crazy Horse injects the silky elegance of doo-wop with a shot of recession blues. The deceptively jaunty, country-flavored “Travelin’ On†traces the path of a drifter on the lam.

In the end, everyone meets the same fate.

“Lord, I’m gonna die,†Young sings with the exhausted resignation of a miner digging his own grave in “High Flyin’ Bird.†He is teased by the Sun he cannot see and the freedom of the birds who remind him of his own limitations. This tortured lament is answered by the “Wayfarin’ Stranger,†who quietly longs for death so that he might be released from “this world of woe.â€

It all gets washed away in “Jesus’ Chariot†(also known as “She’ll Be Comin’ Round the Mountainâ€). The old spiritual rolls like the Apocalyptic tidal wave described in the lyrics, growing in size and power with each verse. Young never sounds as mighty as he does with Crazy Horse, but this performance delivers not just might, but something like terror. Young sounds almost deranged as he repeats, “We will kill the old, red rooster when she comes.†No, not by a long shot is this your kindergarten brand of folk music. “Americana†reveals the hard truth inside songs that have been taken for granted. Not anymore. - Chicago Tribune

mp3@320

Track List:

01 – Oh Susannah

02 – Clementine

03 – Tom Dula

04 – Gallows Pole

05 – Get a Job

06 – Travel On

07 – High Flyin’ Bird

08 – Jesus’ Chariot (She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain)

09 – This Land Is Your Land

10 – Wayfarin’ Stranger

11 – God Save the Queen

http://bit.ly/KEKanI

I remember seeing this tour when it rolled into Massey Hall. Such a good show. Main reason? KARL DENSON and the horn section (and a phat bass) A friend from high school ended up marrying Lenny's guitarist (Craig Ross) and he showed up at our 10yr high school reunion (Craig, not Lenny ).

http://bit.ly/Lmoit5

tumblr_m55h6dyIIt1qjoyjs.jpg

Lenny Kravitz - Mama Said (21st Anniversary Edition)

Three years after the reissue that marked the twentieth anniversary of Lenny Kravitz’s debut album, Let Love Rule,, we have a similar two-disc set—packed with bonus tracks—commemorating the twenty-first anniversary of his sophomore effort, Mama Said. Like the earlier reissue, this deluxe edition offers immaculately remastered audio. The album sounded great back then, with a big, round, bottom end and intimate, full-bodied vocals. It only sounds better now, with even more definition among the various instruments, most of them handled by Kravitz himself (one of rock’s most underrated one-man-bands).

The album, of course, spawned the huge hit “It Ain’t Over til It’s Over,†a slice of Philly soul-styled R&B that sounds every bit as sweet today as it did 21 years ago (when it already sounded like a joyful throwback to the prevailing sounds of two decades prior). It’s not hard to see why this is still one of Kravitz’s most popular tunes, as it’s one of the hookiest he’s written. Slash’s guitar work on the opening one-two punch of “Fields of Joy†and “Always on the Run†remains as startlingly energizing as it ever did (the guitarist co-wrote the latter song).

Another collaboration on the album is heard on the song “All I Ever Wanted,†which was co-written by, and features the piano playing of, the then-16-year-old Sean Lennon. Reissue producer Mathieu Bitton tells (in the new liner notes) of a planned third collaboration for the album that unfortunately never came to light. Jazz trumpeter Miles Davis was supposed to play on “What Goes Around Comes Around,†but illness prevented the legend, who passed away six months after the album’s release, from participating.

The most common charge against Kravitz as an artist has always been that he lacks originality, merely copying the styles of other artists. When revisiting Mama Said, there’s no denying that artists such as Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, Sly and the Family Stone, and Stevie Wonder served as models for his overall style and approach. But if Kravitz was a mere revivalist, would he still be going strong in the third decade of his career? Anyone with good instincts in the studio can approximate the late ‘60s and early ‘70s atmosphere that permeates this (and other) Kravitz albums. Not everyone can infuse those aural recreations with genuine passion. His ability to do so is a vital key to his longevity.

This reissue adds a whopping 21 bonus tracks. On the first disc is a pair of previously unreleased remixes of “It Ain’t Over til It’s Over†meant for a 12†single. Also on disc one are a trio of studio B-sides. The centerpiece of disc two is the previously unreleased, five-song live set, recorded November 15, 1991 in Rotterdam. Kravitz’s band really cooks, turning “More Than Anything in This World†—arguably one of the album’s slighter tracks—into an emotional, slow-burn, eight minute epic with plenty of crowd participation.

The three live B-sides, recorded in Japan on July 10, 1991, are better recorded, with the band up front and the audience deemphasized when compared to the Rotterdam tracks. Eight previously unreleased demos will be fascinating for the hardcore fans, with three versions of a song that never quite came together, “Riding on the Wings of My Lord†(a great title, but Kravitz dum-dums the lyrics through two very different versions before presenting the song as an instrumental). Home demos of “It Ain’t Over til It’s Over,†“What the … Are We Saying?,†and “The Difference is Why†are sonically primitive, but interesting windows into his creative process. - blogcritics.org

mp3@vbr

Track List:

DISC 1

1. Fields Of Joy (Remastered) 3:57

2. Always On The Run (Remastered) 3:53

3. Stand By My Woman (Remastered) 4:20

4. It Ain’t Over ‘til It’s Over (Remastered) 4:02

5. More Than Anything In This World (Remastered) 3:28

6. What Goes Around Comes Around (Remastered) 4:49

7. The Difference Is Why (Remastered) 4:52

8. Stop Draggin’ Around (Remastered) 2:39

9. Flowers For Zoe (Remastered) 2:44

10. Fields Of Joy (Reprise) (Remastered) 3:58

11. All I Eve Wanted (Remastered) 4:14

12. When The Morning Turns To Night (Remastered) 2:59

13. What The…. Are We Saying? (Remastered) 5:13

14. Butterfly (Remastered) 1:54

15. Light Skin Girl From London (B-Side) 2:43

16. I’ll Be Around (B-Side) 2:57

17. Always On The Run (Instrumental) (B-Side) 3:55

18. It Ain’t Over ‘til It’s Over (12†Instrumental) 4:38

19. It Ain’t Over ‘til It’s Over (12†extended/dub Version) 8:08

DISC 2

1. Riding On The Wings Of My Lord (The demos: Mama In Progress) (Rough Demo) 3:02

2. It Ain’t Over ‘til It’s Over (The demos: Mama In Progress) (Home Demo 2:05

3. What The…are We Saying? (The demos: Mama In Progress) (Home Demo 3:36

4. The Difference Is Why (The demos: Mama In Progress) (Home Demo) 3:53

5. Riding On The Wings Of My Lord (The demos: Mama In Progress) (Funky Vocal) 3:39

6. Riding On The Wings Of My Lord (The demos: Mama In Progress) (Instrumental) 3:02

7. Framed, Lying, Crying (The demos: Mama In Progress) (Instrumental Segue) 0:23

8. Stand By My Woman (Instrumental) 4:19

9. Stop Draggin’ Around (Live In Rotterdam Nov. 15, 1991) 3:06

10. Always On The Run (Live In Rotterdam Nov. 15, 1991) 5:25

11. Fields Of Joy (Live In Rotterdam Nov. 15, 1991) 4:19

12. Stand By My Woman (Live In Rotterdam Nov. 15, 1991) 4:59

13. More Than Anything In This World (Live In Rotterdam Nov. 15, 1991) 8:15

14. Always On The Run (The Live In Japan B-Sides) 5:20

15. Stop Draggin’ Around (The Live In Japan B-Sides) 3:06

16. What The…are We Saying? (The Live In Japan B-Sides) 5:19

http://bit.ly/Lmoit5

http://bit.ly/KMXcQk

tumblr_m55saymjVa1qjoyjs.jpg

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals – The Lion The Beast The Beat

Black Keys frontman Dan Auerbach stepped in to produce one track and co-write three songs on Grace Potter and the Nocturnals’ upcoming album The Lion the Beast the Beat, set for a June 12th release on Hollywood Records. The disc’s lead single is the bluesy and upbeat “Never Go Back,†which Auerbach co-wrote.

When Grace Potter and Auerbach wrote the song, they really intended just to play around with the equipment in the studio. “Dan’s studio is a sex shop for gear pervs,†says Potter. “I found a tiny old Casio that reminded me of my first-ever keyboard and started playing. He jumped on and started fucking around with the rhythm track, and we wrote ‘Never Go Back’ within the first hour of being in his place,†she explains. “We weren’t thinking, ‘Let’s write a big hit single.’ It was more like, ‘Let’s geek out with some weird gear and see what happens.’ I’m very glad we did.†- Rolling Stone

mp3@vbr

Track List:

01 – The Lion The Beast The Beat

02 – Never Go Back

03 – Parachute Heart

04 – Stars

05 – Timekeeper

06 – Loneliest Soul

07 – Turntable

08 – Keepsake

09 – Runaway

10 – One Heart Missing

11 – The Divide

http://bit.ly/KMXcQk

http://bit.ly/LMcDry

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (2012 Remaster)

tumblr_m5gkpxDeor1qjoyjs.jpg

EMI are excited to announce the release of a 40th anniversary edition of David Bowie’s truly groundbreaking and hugely influential album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars. Originally released through RCA Victor on 6th June 1972, Ziggy Stardust was David Bowie’s fifth album, co-produced by Bowie and Ken Scott. Incredibly, the album was written whilst Bowie was recording 1971’s Hunky Dory album, with recording beginning a couple of months before that album’s release. It was recorded at Trident Studios, London between 8th November 1971 and 4th February 1972, with the line up: Mick Ronson (guitar, piano, backing vocals, string arrangements), Trevor Bolder (bass), Mick Woodmansey (drums), Rick Wakeman (keyboards) and backing vocals on ‘It Ain’t Easy’ by Dana Gillespie. As well as performing vocals, Bowie also played acoustic guitar, saxophone and harpsichord on the album and was involved in the arrangements too. The album eventually peaked at #5 on the UK Album Chart on 22nd July having entered the chart at #15 on 1st July. Key to the album’s rise in the UK were the two TV performances of “Starman†on Granada TV’s Lift Off With Ayshea and nationally on the BBC’s Top Of The Pops. The album’s influence is immeasurable – it converted legions of fans, becoming the zeitgeist and a major influence on the next generation, particular those who were involved in the punk movement – musicians, artists, designers – and the subsequent re-birth of rock and pop.

mp3@320

Track List:

01. Five Years

02. Soul Love

03. Moonage Daydream

04. Starman

05. It Ain’t Easy

06. Lady Stardust

07. Star

08. Hang On To Yourself

09. Ziggy Stardust

10. Suffragette City

11. Rock’n’Roll Suicide

http://bit.ly/LMcDry

http://bit.ly/MBDmnm

tumblr_m5kin2sZA41qjoyjs.jpg

U2 - U22

The massive U2360 world tour that rocked the world and redefined the stadium concert experience has been turned into a CD.

The limited edition double CD is called U22 and features 22 of their best songs as voted from fans from all over the world.

It also comes with a deluxe booklet featuring awesome live pics from the tour and liner notes personally written by bassist Adam Clayton.

mp3@320

Track List:

CD1:

01 – Even Better Than The Real Thing

02 – The Fly

03 – Mysterious Ways

04 – Magnificent

05 – Until The End Of The World

06 – I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For

07 – Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

08 – One Tree Hill

09 – Beautiful Day