Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/QN2A59

Rush – Moving Pictures (2011 Remaster)

tumblr_m7zitcRAIs1qjoyjs.jpg

Not only is 1981′s Moving Pictures Rush’s best album, it is undeniably one of the greatest hard rock albums of all time. The new wave meets hard rock approach of Permanent Waves is honed to perfection — all seven of the tracks are classics (four are still featured regularly in concert and on classic rock radio). While other hard rock bands at the time experimented unsuccessfully with other musical styles, Rush were one of the few to successfully cross over. The whole entire first side is perfect — their most renowned song, “Tom Sawyer,†kicks things off, and is soon followed by the racing “Red Barchetta,†the instrumental “YYZ,†and a song that examines the pros and cons of stardom, “Limelight.†And while the second side isn’t as instantly striking as the first, it is ultimately rewarding. The long and winding “The Camera Eye†begins with a synth-driven piece before transforming into one of the band’s more straight-ahead epics, while “Witch Hunt†and “Vital Signs†remain two of the trio’s more underrated rock compositions. Rush proved with Moving Pictures that there was still uncharted territory to explore within the hard rock format, and were rewarded with their most enduring and popular album. - Allmusic

mp3@V0

Tracklist

01. Tom Sawyer – 4:34

02. Red Barchetta – 6:08

03. YYZ – 4:24

04. Limelight – 4:21

05. The camera eye – 10:57

06. Witch hunt – 4:44

07. Vital signs – 4:47

http://bit.ly/QN2A59

http://bit.ly/MZc0dV

Queen – A Night At The Opera (2011 Remaster)

tumblr_m8146u0O3Y1qjoyjs.jpg

Queen were straining at the boundaries of hard rock and heavy metal on Sheer Heart Attack, but they broke down all the barricades on A Night at the Opera, a self-consciously ridiculous and overblown hard rock masterpiece. Using the multi-layered guitars of its predecessor as a foundation, A Night at the Opera encompasses metal (“Death on Two Legs,†“Sweet Ladyâ€), pop (the lovely, shimmering “You’re My Best Friendâ€), campy British music hall (“Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon,†“Seaside Rendezvousâ€), and mystical prog rock (“’39,†“The Prophet’s Songâ€), eventually bringing it all together on the pseudo-operatic “Bohemian Rhapsody.†In short, it’s a lot like Queen’s own version of Led Zeppelin IV, but where Zep find dark menace in bombast, Queen celebrate their own pomposity. No one in the band takes anything too seriously, otherwise the arrangements wouldn’t be as ludicrously exaggerated as they are. But the appeal — and the influence — of A Night at the Opera is in its detailed, meticulous productions. It’s prog rock with a sense of humor as well as dynamics, and Queen never bettered their approach anywhere else. – Stephen Thomas Erlewine

mp3@320

Tracklist

DISC 1:

1. Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To…)

2. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon

3. I’m In Love With My Car

4. You’re My Best Friend

5. ’39

6. Sweet Lady

7. Seaside Rendezvous

8. The Prophet’s Song

9. Love Of My Life

10. Good Company

11. Bohemian Rhapsody

12. God Save The Queen

DISC 2:

1. Keep Yourself Alive (Long-Lost Retake, June 75)

2. Bohemian Rhapsody (Operatic Section A cappella Mix 2011)

3. You’re My Best Friend (Backing Track Mix 2011)

4. I’m In Love With My car (Guitar & Vocal Mix 2011)

5. ’39 (Live at Earls Court, June 77)

6. Love Of My Life (South American Live Single June 79)

http://bit.ly/MZc0dV

http://bit.ly/MePxHJ

Warren Haynes - Man In Motion

tumblr_m7zinjmkML1qjoyjs.jpg

Kicking off with Warren Haynes’ unmistakable and masterful guitar over gospel-soaked piano, the title track to the dynamic new album ‘Man In Motion’ functions as a mission statement for the legendary musician and his signature brand of rock, blues and soul. Driving horn blasts and powerful organ punctuate some of the most soulful guitar playing and singing that Haynes has ever recorded.

‘Man In Motion’ is also a snapshot of a creatively restless musician who is constantly in artistic motion himself. “Musicians are students for life. We have to continually take new approaches,†affirms Haynes. It’s not Haynes’ first foray as a soul man, however. “Soul music was my first love,†says Haynes. “The first LPs I had growing up in Asheville [NC] were greatest hits compilations from Stevie Wonder, The Four Tops, James Brown, Junior Walker, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Wilson Pickett, and The Supremes.†‘Man in Motion’ contains all original Haynes songs with the addition of original Stax recording artist William Bell’s hit “Everyday Will Be Like A Holidayâ€.

The album harks back to another theme of his young life: Haynes started out as a singer before he began playing guitar. “The vocal is more of a centerpiece on ‘Man In Motion,’†he says. Haynes’ singing shines on the album, with a bold and emotive delivery that shimmers with his smoky vibrato.

‘Man In Motion’ clocks in at over an hour, allowing for its ten tracks to breathe and develop, punctuated by a stellar rhythm section and sophisticated, moving solo guitar work from Haynes. The studio band includes Ivan Neville on background vocals and organ, Ian McLagan on piano, Ruthie Foster on background vocals, George Porter, Jr. on bass and Ron Holloway on saxophone. Haynes recorded the album at Willie Nelson’s Pedernales Studios to two-inch tape with vintage tube microphones and everyone playing together in the same room. “We recorded it live to capture the emotion, passion, and spontaneity.â€

mp3@320

Tracklist

1. Man In Motion 7:52

2. River’s Gonna Rise 6:51

3. Everyday Will Be Like A Holiday 5:29

4. Sick Of My Shadow 6:57

5. Your Wildest Dreams 7:19

6. On A Real Lonely Night 7:38

7. Hattiesburg Hustle 6:33

8. A Friend To You 5:44

9. Take A Bullet 5:25

10. Save Me 6:15

http://bit.ly/MePxHJ

http://bit.ly/OJditc

The Black Crowes – Before The Frost & …Until The Freeze

tumblr_m7zixoxN7V1qjoyjs.jpg

tumblr_m7ziyg4CN11qjoyjs.jpg

Revitalized by their 2008 reunion, the Black Crowes decided to take a genuine risk, recording a double-album’s worth of new material in front of a live audience at Levon Helm’s barn in upstate New York…and then release the second half, Until the Freeze, as a free download-only. To a certain extent, such formal experiments are where the Crowes can really stretch, as they’re so devoted to rock & roll roots from Southern England to South Georgia, they can’t add new wrinkles to old traditions. But that’s not exactly right: they’re willing to stretch until at least the late ’70s, offering their spin on a Rolling Stones’ disco on the album’s first single, “I Ain’t Hiding.†As true as that may be, it’s too snide and easy, and does a disservice to what the Crowes pull off with aplomb on this rather remarkable record, a record that has all the easy interplay of a road-tested band but none of the weariness. The Crowes play with muscle and grace, easing into the rustic ramble of “Appaloosa†or getting dirt underneath their fingernails on the stupendous opener “Good Morning Captain,†a song that sets the keynote for the rest of the record both in its sturdy construction and enthusiastically ragged performance. More than anything, it’s the kineticism that captivates, how the band deepens their already-strong songs with muscle and blood, sounding alive in a way that they never quite have in the studio. No longer young upstarts, they wear their years proudly on this terrific album, sounding like the veteran roadhounds they’ve always aspired to be. - Stephen Thomas Erlewine

mp3@320

Tracklist

Before the Frost…

1. “Good Morning Captain†– 3:24

2. “Been a Long Time (Waiting on Love)†– 7:47

3. “Appaloosa†– 3:35

4. “A Train Still Makes a Lonely Sound†– 4:23

5. “I Ain’t Hiding†(C. Robinson) – 5:57

6. “Kept My Soul†– 5:23

7. “What Is Home?†(R. Robinson) – 5:13

8. “Houston Don’t Dream About Me†– 5:05

9. “Make Glad†– 4:18

10. “And the Band Played On…†– 4:12

11. “The Last Place That Love Lives†(C. Robinson) – 4:57

…Until the Freeze

1. “Aimless Peacock†– 6:40

2. “The Shady Grove†– 4:42

3. “The Garden Gate†– 4:21

4. “Greenhorn†– 7:12

5. “Shine Along†– 4:47

6. “Roll Old Jeremiah†(C. Robinson) – 4:40

7. “Lady of Ave. A†– 5:20

8. “So Many Times†(Chris Hillman, Stephen Stills) – 4:53

9. “Fork in the River†(C. Robinson) – 4:11

http://bit.ly/OJditc

http://bit.ly/Qe9LCt

Eric Clapton – 461 Ocean Boulevard [Deluxe Edition]

tumblr_m8f1mc8Uwx1qjoyjs.jpg

461 Ocean Boulevard is Eric Clapton’s second studio solo album, arriving after his side project of Derek and the Dominos and a long struggle with heroin addiction. Although there are some new reggae influences, the album doesn’t sound all that different from the rock, pop, blues, country, and R&B amalgam of Eric Clapton. However, 461 Ocean Boulevard is a tighter, more focused outing that enables Clapton to stretch out instrumentally. Furthermore, the pop concessions on the album — the sleek production, the concise running times — don’t detract from the rootsy origins of the material, whether it’s Johnny Otis’ “Willie and the Hand Jive,†the traditional blues “Motherless Children,†Bob Marley’s “I Shot the Sheriff,†or Clapton’s emotional original “Let It Grow.†With its relaxed, friendly atmosphere and strong bluesy roots, 461 Ocean Boulevard set the template for Clapton’s ’70s albums. Though he tried hard to make an album exactly like it, he never quite managed to replicate its charms. - Stephen Thomas Erlewine

“461 Ocean Boulevard – Deluxe Edition†has grown from the original 40 min. album to an exquisite 2CD spread (26 tracks, 142 min.), and quite comfortably at that. CD1 (15 tracks, 69 min.) brings of course the original 10 tracks, and they still sparkle today as they did 30 years ago. The remastered sound is fantastic. It has of course the hits “I Shot the Sheriffâ€, “Willie and the Hand Jiveâ€, and “Motherless Children†(all from the original Side 1), but there really are no weak songs here. Other classics include “Let It Growâ€, the pensive “I Can’t Hold Outâ€, and the album closer “Mainline Floridaâ€. The 5 bonus tracks are session out-takes from the album recordings, they have appeared elsewhere before on various compilations such as “Crossroadsâ€, but are grouped together here for the first time. My fave of them is “Meet Me (At the Bottom)â€, a mostly instrumental jam session. CD2 (11 tracks, 73 min.) is a live album, recorded in London at the end of the 461 Ocean Blvd tour in December, 1974. After the announcer’s “Well Ladies and Gentlemen, this is it, the last show of the tour, please welcome Mr. Eric Clapton and his band!â€, we’re in for a treat. Only 3 of the 11 tracks have appeared before on the Crossroads compilations. The highlights are many, including “Let It Growâ€, the Steve Winwood cover “Can’t Find My Way Homeâ€, a rousing “Tell the Truthâ€, the Jimi Hendrickx cover “Little Wingâ€, and the closer “Let It Rainâ€, with at the end EC simply saying “bye bye, thank you†to an elated audience. - amazon.com

MP3@320CBR

Track List

CD1

01. Motherless Children

02. Give Me Strength

03. Willie and the Hand Jive

04. Get Ready

05. I Shot the Sheriff

06. I Can’t Hold Out

07. Please Be with Me

08. Let It Grow

09. Steady Rollin’ Man

10. Mainline Florida

11. Walkin’ Down the Road (bonus track)

12. Ain’t That Lovin’ You (bonus track)

13. Meet Me (Down at the Bottom) (bonus track)

14. Eric After Hours Blues (bonus track)

15. B Minor Jam (bonus track)

CD2 (recorded live December 4th and 5th, 1974 @ Hammersmith Odeon, London)

01. Smile

02. Let It Grow

03. Can’t Find My Way Home

04. I Shot the Sheriff

05. Tell the Truth

06. The Sky Is Crying/Have You Ever Loved a Woman/Ramblin’ On My Mind

07. Little Wing

08. Singin’ the Blues

09. Badge

10. Layla

11. Let It Rain

http://bit.ly/Qe9LCt

A little more EC for a Wednesday morning

http://bit.ly/ONQafP

Derek and the Dominoes – Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs [Deluxe Edition 2011]

tumblr_m7zj0x1gsw1qjoyjs.jpg

Two discs-76,57 minutes each approximately. The sound is clean and open-better than past editions, and world’s away better than the original, muddy, vinyl release. The discs snap inside the usual fold-out holder like other Deluxe Editions, except there’s no protective plastic sleeve this time around. The booklet has information about the band, the songs-who plays on what, and includes period photos-you’ve probably already seen the two-page photo-collage from the original gate-fold album. This edition is for people who don’t have the original version of this album from just a few years ago, as far as sound quality.

The first disc is taken up with the original 2 LP album. By now most people, if not at least familiar with the music, have owned a copy for many years. Also by now, most people know the story behind the album-Clapton’s intense playing, and the frustrated, heart broken vocals because of his love for his friend, George Harrison’s wife. Nothing really needs to be said about these songs-they speak for themselves. But it’s interesting that when the album was originally released, it didn’t create much excitement. At the time people actually did ask-â€Does Clapton play on this albumâ€? “Is he a sidemanâ€? “Whose Derekâ€? Well, it didn’t take long before several songs became popular through radio play, and the album to be hailed a classic.

The second disc is where things get interesting. After playing on “All Things Must Passâ€, Clapton decided that Phil Spector should produce a new album Clapton was going to record. But the single (included here) “Tell The Truthâ€, along with “Roll It Over†was quickly withdrawn by the band. Hearing these sides it’s fairly apparent that Spector wasn’t the right choice for the album. Several tracks from the aborted second album are also here. While they have their moments, the absence of catalyst Duane Allman on guitar is telling. The sound and feel is very different-Clapton needed a good , fiery player to spark him into playing his best. I was lucky enough to hear the band live, and the difference without Allman was very apparent. There were exciting moments, but that initial fire was all but gone. At times Clapton sounded bored-as if he had tuned up and tuned out.

“Mean Old Worldâ€, an old blues workhorse, is here with both Clapton and Allman laying into the tune on acoustic guitars, which is a highlight (of several) on this disc. It’s another instance where the rapport between the two guitarists is apparent. Allman was a good acoustic blues player, and here his style blends with Clapton’s into an almost intuitive rendition of this great old song. If you own the 3 disc anniversary set, you know this tune already, but it’s still a great version.

The two versions of “Got To Get Better In A Little While†are interesting, and fill in a gap in the group’s discography. The jam version is just that-loose and fluid. The finished version (Bobby Whitlock went back into the studio to flesh out and complete the tune) is simply a more polished sounding song. This great tune has always been popular, and both versions are very worthwhile.

But, arguably, the best tracks on this disc are from Johnny Cash’s TV show. During it’s run, Cash had a number of good musical guests, besides his own performances. I still remember the excitement of hearing different generations of great musicians launch into “Matchbox†(especially), and the other great tunes the band played that night. The excitement of the performances could almost be felt through the TV. Many people (like me) have hoped and waited that this great music would get a good, legitimate release. All the excitement, the history, and the dueling musicians, plus the original band’s performance, mark this batch of songs as another highlight on this edition.

With now many years of hindsight, the band (originally called “Del and the Dominosâ€) came together in one of those rare moments. The combination of a fully seasoned rhythm section, a fiery yet sensitive guitarist like Allman, good songs (both by the band and outsiders), and Clapton’s unrequited love for a woman he thought he could never have, produced a classic album. With Allman to play off of, Clapton’s playing soared to heights of near abandon, with Allman matching him note for note. His obsession for Harrison’s wife sharpened his writing, singing, and playing skills like never before. Clapton has said that Allman was the musical brother he never had. Their intuitive playing made the band come alive. The first disc is a classic. The second disc shows what the band sounded like without Allman, and the fact that Clapton was losing interest in the band. But there are a number of gems-the acoustic tune, the Cash TV tracks, even the versions of “Got To Get Better In A Little Whileâ€, are all exciting, important additions to the original album. This is one “Deluxe Edition†that’s worth owning in it’s entirety, especially if you don’t own a previous edition that’s been remastered. - Stuart Jefferson

mp3@320

Tracklist

DISC ONE: LAYLA and other assorted love songs (ALL NEWLY REMASTERED)

1. I LOOKED AWAY (3:06)

2. BELL BOTTOM BLUES (5:05)

3. KEEP ON GROWING (6:23)

4. NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU’RE DOWN AND OUT (4:58)

5. I AM YOURS (3:35)

6. ANYDAY (6:36)

7. KEY TO THE HIGHWAY (9:38)

8. TELL THE TRUTH (6:40)

9. WHY DOES LOVE GOT TO BE SO SAD? (4:43)

10. HAVE YOU EVER LOVED A WOMAN (6:54)

11. LITTLE WING (5:33)

12. IT’S TOO LATE (3:51)

13. LAYLA (7:05)

14. THORN TREE IN THE GARDEN (2:51)

DISC TWO: LAYLA and other assorted love songs (bonus CD)

1. MEAN OLD WORLD (3:52) Layla session out-take

2. ROLL IT OVER (4.31) Phil Spector produced single b-side

3. TELL THE TRUTH (3.23) Phil Spector produced single a-side

4. IT’S TOO LATE (4.11) Live on The Johnny Cash Show, 5 November, 1970 * PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

5. GOT TO GET BETTER IN A LITTLE WHILE (6.34) Live on The Johnny Cash Show, 5 November, 1970 * PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

6. MATCHBOX (with Johnny Cash & Carl Perkins) (3:56) Live on The Johnny Cash Show, 5 November, 1970 * PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

7. BLUES POWER (6.31) Live on The Johnny Cash Show, 5 November, 1970 ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

8. SNAKE LAKE BLUES (3.34) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

9. EVIL (4.34) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

10. MEAN OLD FRISCO (4.04) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

11. ONE MORE CHANCE (3.15) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

12. GOT TO GET BETTER IN A LITTLE WHILE JAM (3.45) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album * PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

13. GOT TO GET BETTER IN A LITTLE WHILE (6:05) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

* previously unreleased recording ** newly remixed recording

http://bit.ly/ONQafP

http://bit.ly/OYpd6Q

Jimmy Cliff - Rebirth

tumblr_m8i2ysU2dh1qjoyjs.jpg

Has anyone ever sounded as joyous as Jimmy Cliff when expressing such deep concern for the state of the world? Now aged 64, the reggae superstar sounds as socially engaged as ever on this remarkably consistent set of mostly self-penned songs, which explicitly revisit the sonic terrain of his biggest 60s/70s hits.

What could’ve felt like an ageing artist desperately chasing past glories instead succeeds as a vibrant reconnection with what made him so great in the first place. The refusal to modernise that signature fusion of reggae, pop and soul is an astute decision on the part of Cliff and his producer, Rancid frontman Tim Armstrong.

These crisp, uncluttered arrangements are perfectly in tune with the instantly memorable, pleasingly familiar material Cliff’s made his name with. And much of it compares favourably with his best work.

He remains in tremendous voice, sounding fully engaged with a project that clearly means the world to him. Indeed, Rebirth is nothing if not his urgent state of the planet address.

And yet whether pointing his finger at corporate greed and expressing support for the Occupy movement in Children’s Bread, or offering a heartfelt prayer to recession-hit families in Cry No More, he never sounds overly-earnest. Instead, the sheer exuberance and grace that he brings to these universal protest anthems more than makes up for the occasional lyrical lapse.

So, while a line like “Rebel, rebel, rebel, take it to the next level†is rather nebulous – a clarion cry generalised into meaninglessness – it’s the spirit of Cliff’s performance that matters most, rather than any specific meaning.

Which is why a song like World Upside Down – essentially a mirror-image sequel to his exultant 1969 hit Wonderful World, Beautiful People – doesn’t sound as trite as it might in the hands of, well, practically anybody else. Even when ploughing through his rhyming thesaurus for broadsides against everything from “ecological calamity†to mere “vanityâ€, Cliff undoubtedly believes in every word.

The title of this delightful album is no idle boast: this is the sound of a great artist fully re-engaged with his muse. - Paul Whitelaw

mp3@320

Track List

1. Bang

2. World Upside Down

3. One More

4. Cry No More

5. Children’s Bread

6. Guns Of Brixton

7. Reggae Music

8. Outsider

9. Rebel Rebel

10. Ruby Soho