Jambands.ca

trio

phorbesie

or, as it were, quartet, duo and solos!

twas definitely a shame about stanley clarke...i was really looking forward to seeing him.

the quartet was good, but it just sounded cleaner when bela and JL played as a duo (imo), those were the parts i liked best. so good. maybe because that felt more folky, which i liked.

bela with the furious fingers as always...blowing through genre after genre in a long crazy solo...and JL impressed me with his mad violin skillz. it sounded like a horn at times on the jazzy tunes, and loved him picking it like a mandolin.

what a beautiful evening out there.

fyi for future reference, there was nobody manning the gate on the left side of the stage (under the slater st. bridge across from dnd), you could just walk right in.

When Bela went into Bach's Presto from the 2nd violin Partita I almost lost it. You may remember that onscreen at that time there was nothing but a closeup of Belas fingers for the whole bit. That was me with my jaw on the floor forgetting that I was supposed to be working.

Good show, and a shame that Stanley wasn't there, but I'd say the local replacements did Ottawa proud.

Just banjo, singular (and an acoustic one at that).

The highlight for me was that quartet thing they did at the end of the set (before the encore). It had a middle-eastern feel to it, and captivated me completely. Their take on Sonny Rollins' "Oleo" was good, too.

And seeing the show with a bunch of my friends (including Pablo Sanchez + kitkat + little one) made the night just that much better. (Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased.)

Aloha,

Brad