Jambands.ca

House of Blues promoter/customer service?

headygouda

Not that I know anything about the biz, but I think you can bet that if the "local promoter" pulls the plug this late it will become a lot more difficult to get bands like this up here.

And by the way, I think we have a local "booker", not a promoter, as the only "promotion" I saw for this event were small ads in Now. Madison House was willing to set up free viewing parties for Keller's new DVD and promote the BSC at the parties. This went on in several BSC cities, but not in Toronto.

I am sure a LOT of work goes into getting a show here, but I often find the actual promotion to be quite lacking.

man, I am (was?) looking soooo forward to this.

anyone have actual access to this Marky dude -- can you beat him around the head and neck with a skunky dead fish until he coughs up more info, please?

anyone else have any other unsubstantiated rumours they want to spread about whether the Ottawa BSC is still a go or not? We might just have to do that venue instead (though it presents some BIG logistical difficulties)

I remember when there were Internet rumours about the tour being cancelled they posted a response on the BSC website, which is still there:

"We're Still Going BIG!

BIG Summer Classic would like to dispel any rumors that the festival as a whole, or any individual shows, will be cancelled. No need to worry – we’re still going BIG! Click here for tickets."

yeah so i apologize, i should have been a little more clear.. To pretty much say it like it is... This show is not selling as strong as one would have initially thought, and with that being said there is a lot of money at stake, A LOT OF MONEY.... SO to me it seems as though options to resolve this can either be pull the plug and take it on the chin, or go ahead, shoot for the best and hope you make it out alive... At this point seeing as it has not been cancelled it would appear to be going ahead as it is hard to pull the plug a week before, mind you my johnny winter show for the 13th was just OFFICIALLY rescheduled, man maman fuck almost sold out too.. but that is a different set of circumstances oh yeah and as a side plug, FEMI KUTI is now sold out through ticketmaster, so for any of you planning on dealing with these tickets last minute, the only places that still had them as of this morning (but truthfully with very little quantity) is shanti baba, rotate this and sonic temple....

ok so to continue rantring, i would totally agree with the booker not promoter comment.. This in this particular case kills me as SCI is my favorite band these days, i even trekked my ass to NYC for NYE.... and I had a chance to get involoved in this island gig but didn't (that can be discussed at a later time) but short of that even offered to lend my street teams and get all of you involved and really make this thinkg rock even if i wasn't getting paid off on it... The problem is and you will see it following the little feat debacles that byt the way i was only hired to do and not actually responsible for is that these bands do great business down south but simply cannot translate that north of the border..

You know fuck i don't care. so here is the skinny, i have been trying to do something completeyl radical and out of the box with this band amongst others for a while now.... specifically, i was planning on a SCI 2 night run at the opera house totrally themed out.. like we were going to film a whole intro movie with the band and dress uop the opera house the first night with sand i mean bringing in a dumptruck full of sand and making it into a whole beach motif and playing on that theme and then the next ight have them trekking on and making it like a thing in the woods with an acoustic set by a (fake) campfire and all this crazy really expensive visucal shit... and it would have cost me a fortune but you know what it wouold have been the coolest mother fucking thing cause we never get good shit like that.. i mean a cool halowwen dress up show or this stuff. ultimatly the money does the talking and it seems as though the bottom line prevails.... and hopefully i can make this work the next time around..

ok so to continue rantring, i would totally agree with the booker not promoter comment.. This in this particular case kills me as SCI is my favorite band these days, i even trekked my ass to NYC for NYE.... and I had a chance to get involoved in this island gig but didn't (that can be discussed at a later time) but short of that even offered to lend my street teams and get all of you involved and really make this thinkg rock even if i wasn't getting paid off on it... The problem is and you will see it following the little feat debacles that byt the way i was only hired to do and not actually responsible for is that these bands do great business down south but simply cannot translate that north of the border..

You know fuck i don't care. so here is the skinny, i have been trying to do something completeyl radical and out of the box with this band amongst others for a while now.... specifically, i was planning on a SCI 2 night run at the opera house totrally themed out.. like we were going to film a whole intro movie with the band and dress uop the opera house the first night with sand i mean bringing in a dumptruck full of sand and making it into a whole beach motif and playing on that theme and then the next ight have them trekking on and making it like a thing in the woods with an acoustic set by a (fake) campfire and all this crazy really expensive visucal shit... and it would have cost me a fortune but you know what it wouold have been the coolest mother fucking thing cause we never get good shit like that.. i mean a cool halowwen dress up show or this stuff. ultimatly the money does the talking and it seems as though the bottom line prevails.... and hopefully i can make this work the next time around..

That would have been cool... When were you thinking of doing this?

And if you're planning on doing this in the future - LET PEOPLE IN ON IT! As much as the Cheese gets shit on here constantly, I imagine people would have had a lot of interest in attending this...

anywwys back to the promoiton comment, i am hoping that that comment wans't directed to my comapny or my shows canuse as all of you hopefully know i bust my ass off.. on femi for instance me and JAYDAWG have been postering like crazy messgaes on all the boards heavey publicitiy all that crap.. i think if some of the bigger promoteres (COUGH COUGH) would get the communities of these things invooloved and i am specifically talking jam communiity cause lets be real here it is the hardest sell in terms of genres in canada, then they would see more success and would make the bands want to come here more... ultimatly bands i don't want to name them but big ones who we have all seen this year lose money coming to canada but do it to either satisfy their fans and keep a market here or to simply fill dates but yeah they loose money.. it ain't cheap running a bus and a semi having 5 crew + tour manager plus hotel rooms, i'm sure you can only imagine but we need to do this crazy out of the box shit to get them here... hwy do you think it has been such a struggle to get someone like Karl D here.... this fall will have some awesome shit, here you wanted insider shit!!!! JOHN SCOFIELD WITH THE RAY CHARLES BAND PLAYING THE MUSIC OF RAY CHARLES FRIDAY OCT.14 PHOENIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is going to be nutty you have no idea.. the only club show of the tour.......... and shortly i will be able to announce the ridiculous after party for it,,,

JOHN SCOFIELD WITH THE RAY CHARLES BAND PLAYING THE MUSIC OF RAY CHARLES FRIDAY OCT.14 PHOENIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is going to be nutty you have no idea.. the only club show of the tour.......... and shortly i will be able to announce the ridiculous after party for it,,,

And my streak of sweet birthday shows continues... Awesome!

i would hope so,, i am really trying to get some cool shit going... truthfully the jamband stuff is more of a hobby than retirement fund, i do a lot of other promoting so when i can do cool shit like this it is pretty much for my own enjoyment.. But to respond yeah i would hope that people would attend, tell me the last time anything like that would have been through toronto..........................

yeah unfortuntly i couldn't take the financial risk that as i predicted turned out to be where it is now... When i say big money i mean really big money..... but hey i offered HOB my services but after i passed on the show i havn't heard from them.. shame seeing as the jambands scene is my market in this city sort of i guess and i probaby could have helped somewhat...... hey we'll all be drunk as shit dancing away.. .speaking of which any of you coming to FRISELL!!!!

Marky - I think SCI is the perfect band to go for that 'over the top' beach setting shit! After all, anyone that has experienced Hornings Hideout would realize how much more SCI strives to make each incident more of an experience, rather than just about music. I think the whole concept of big summer classic is to do this type of thing...a travelling festival that people can go out and experience in every aspect. That being said, who is going BIG in the sumo wrestling???!!?

I wonder if you could float away in lake ontario in that sumo suit. Sure as hell can't swim!

One thing is for sure, whenever SCI comes north of the border, they ALWAYS throw down. All my american FOCs know that they are making a huge mistake when they skip the canadian portion of the tour.

Honestly, I think toronto will do better than several other stops on the BSC tour. For example, cleveland will be lucky to fill the reserved sections of blossom (you can still buy pit tix and reserved in the front section) and rochester will barely sell. But of course, these are the sleeper shows of the tour that I look for. Empty shows where the boys bust out and throw down.