Jambands.ca

Robert Plant anyone?

TimmyB

really though, you have to admit he's not offering much beyond pure nostalgia- which is fine for some. I would probably stick around and check out his set if I was there, but i would have to be...

'Soo high... most high'

I guess by the above statement that you haven't heard Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation's newest album 'Mighty Rearranger?'

It is an excellent album by any artist, let alone one of Robert Plant's age.

At the show at the Molson Amphitheatre which had a huge crowd, the 'Mighty Rearranger' material was very well received and not just his debut single off the album "Shine it all Around." Much of the crowd were on their feet for songs like "Tin Pan Valley" and the title track.

A highlight of the show would also be another new song "the Enchanter." It is a beautiful song, though it might have been best to leave it out of the encore sandwiched between "Baby I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Whole Lotta Love."

Funnily enough when Plant introduced "Morning Dew" he went into how it was cowritten with Bonnie Dobson who is a Canadian who now lives in the United Kingdom. He then said that the Grateful Dead covered the song which got a large applause. Then Plant stated "You can always check out what kind of audience you have by name dropping the Grateful Dead."

Also Plant became the mighty rearranger when it came to him reinterpreting his Led Zeppelin back catalogue. Songs like "No Quarter," "Black Dog," "Heartbreaker," "Gallows Pole" and "When the Levee Breaks" were quite different from the original Zeppelin recordings.

Personal highlights for me were first timers "Hey, Hey What Can I Do" and "When the Levee Breaks" as well as "Tin Pan Valley," "Mighty Rearranger," "That's the Way," "Gallow's Pole" and "Whole Lotta Love."

I haven't missed Plant performing in Toronto since 1993 and I have to say that this was a great Plant gig and everyone I know that attended it felt the same.

It was much better received than his first Strange Sensations tour that came to Massey Hall in 2001 where they for the most part focussd on relatively obscure covers like "Bummer in the Summer," "7 and 7 is," "A House Is Not a Motel," and "Song to the Siren."

Here is the setlist of the Molson Amphitheatre gig:

Start time 8:44PM

Intro music from album

8:48PM

1. No Quarter

2. Shine it All Around

3. Black Dog

4. Freedom Fries

5. Morning Dew

6. That's the Way

7. Hey, Hey What Can I Do

8. Tin Pan Valley

9. Heartbreaker

10. Mighty Rearranger

11. Gallows Pole

12. When the Levee Breaks

Encore:

13. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

14. The Enchanter

15. Whole Lotta Love

End time 10:33PM (Total time 1 hour and 49 minutes)

I guess by the above statement that you haven't heard Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation's newest album 'Mighty Rearranger?'

It is an excellent album by any artist, let alone one of Robert Plant's age.

I havent heard the album, but i have heard the single and I thought it was tremendously bad. I think I saw them preform it on Conan as well.

I havent been too enthusiastic about any of Plant's post-Zeppelin offerings.

I'm glad it was a fun show and a great crowd, though!!

Then Plant stated "You can always check out what kind of audience you have by name dropping the Grateful Dead."

How true. How true indeeed. Thanks for the review TimmyB. I love reading your reports.

Fack you see alot of live music. I may have to make you the Godfather for the child we have someday based on that fact.

JPJ is the only member of LZ to do anything good post-zep. in my not so humble opinion of course.

Jimmy Page admitted to quitting practicing guitar after Zep disbanded, evident in his awful guitar chops on albums by The Firm, the Outrider album and an early 80's benefit concert video for Amnesty International ( where Jeff Beck kicks both Clapton and Page's ass in a Yardbird guitar summit jam ).

Page's playing improved to near Zeppelin and Yardbirds standards with the Coverdale/Page project and to a greater extent, with the collaboration with the Crowes, Live At The Greek. It's amazing what happens to guitar gods when they don't practice. Thankfully, Jimmy has " it " almost back again.

Edited by Guest

shit i forgot about live at the greek. i thinks that more corwes than pagey though.

i really wish i went to that King Crimson/JPJ show that was at Massey a few years back. anyone go?

I was at that gig. I won't miss any Zeppelin related shows in the Golden Horseshoe, or King Crimson for that matter.

John Paul Jones was good as the opener, but unfortunately he wasn't that well received. I saw Jones a year or two before at the Guvernment and that gig was amazing.

Crimson were just insane.

i think JPJ should play with KC. they change their lineup every 45 minutes anyway. JPJ is on Discipline anyway and has played with crazy old man Fripp before. do it you bastards!

Fripp

Adrian

JPJ

Gunn

Mastelotto

i bet Jonesy could keep up. maybe even a little keyboard every now and then?

i think JPJ should play with KC. they change their lineup every 45 minutes anyway. JPJ is on Discipline anyway and has played with crazy old man Fripp before. do it you bastards!

Fripp

Adrian

JPJ

Gunn

Mastelotto

i bet Jonesy could keep up. maybe even a little keyboard every now and then?

The current line up of King Crimson (which should nearly be done recording their next album) is with Tony Levin back in the band and Trey Gunn out, as well as Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew and Pat Mastelotto.