Jambands.ca

Steve and Wife, Downtown Ottawa, Tonight, Stickers

AD

This post may make no sense to anyone but me, but as I was getting in my car parked on Laurier tonight around 11:45, I look out my window and a guy is motioning for me to wait... He's yelling for his wife to come look at my car because of the Phish and Dead stickers on it, they are big fans too, asked if I was at Coventry....

He introduced himself as Steve, and I forget his wife's name. Couldn't really stay and chat as my girlfriend was kind of startled by the whole thing. :)

Anyways, just wondering if Steve and Wife read this board, and, if so, Hello!

Anyone know these people? Seemed like nice folks.

AD

heh... i don't know steve & wife, but i had something funny like that happen to me a while ago too -

i had my car parked where it usually is, near my place on gilmour. it's got a couple dead stickers/paraphernalia decorating the back. one day i came down and there was something stuck under one of the windshield wipers. i'm thinking it's some advertisement for saving the world, or a matchmaker thing, or lawn care, something like that. so i take it out, and whaddaya know - it's a homemade JGB disc, with a little note: "we are EVERYWHERE! - a friend from 471 maclaren", and a little happy face.

made my day! :)

I love encounters like that. Deb and I met an Egyptian deadhead in the Sinai years and years back, spotting stickers on his car; turned out he'd ended up by happenstance at one of the '77 shows at the pyramids, "converted", and stuck with it ever since. We ended up living in his apartment in Cairo for a couple of months after that, until some jackass started a war in Iraq and we came home.

Had also met, a little before that, an old-school taper in Ottawa via stickers on our own car; he never described himself as a deadhead proper, but rather a "Dead enthusiast"; be that as it may, he had a direct line to the Vault, from which he made us a nice big handful of tapes (subsequently stolen from us when we were travelling in Portugal - well, at least the music gets around), and introduced us to this interweb thingy via his participation in the Well (which apparently cost him an arm and a leg in dialup costs).

What an endearing community.

I do know Steve and his Wife. They run this site: www.dustyowl.com

Steve is a commissionaire (sp?) at my wife's building on Laurier.

He's a good guy. I ran into him at Coventry (I was wearing a Heart and Crown t-shirt and he picked me out of the crowd) before I knew that he worked at Nat's building and before he knew I was Nat's partner.

I just recently ran into him at BSC and then again at Mavericks that same night. I've told him about this board though I don't know if he has joined yet.

Speaking of meeting people because of stickers on cars, I was driving down the queensway back during the phish hiatus, well.. stuck in a traffic jam acutally. I had a phish sticker on the back of my car at the time and this couple pulls up next to me and yell across the lane that the hiatus was over and Phish was going to play Madison Square Gardens on NYE. I love how just having a sticker on you car or a logo on your t-shirt can bring people together. Reminds me of BradM's story about taking the bus home from a Dave Matthew's Band show (I think it was Dave Matthew's Band).

Anyway.. good vibes, and hopefully Steve and his wife (her name is Catherine) will join up on this board soon.

I was walking around Yonge and Eg one time, and I was wearing a Phish tee. Was with some work friends going for lunch, when out of the blue this girl stops me and asks "are you going to new years?". At first I didn't know what she was talking about, then realized I was letting my freak flag fly, and that she was referring to the Phish New Years gig in Florida. We chatted for a minute. My friends were blown away, "do you know her?" Of course I'd never seen her before in my life.

The heady music community is one of the best!

"I do know Steve and his Wife."

Really nice folks, although I seem to only run into them when I am crunked so my judgement might not be the best. :)

They were at the GTB/BnB gig. That was the first time I had seen them out in a while, probably since moe was last here.

Hi there --

Yup, that's me.

Hello, AD, and thanks for not phoning the cops on us. And sorry if I startled your girlfriend (she really did look a little weirded out -- hope she wasn't too mad). We just love running into others of the tribe. I get stopped from time to time by folks who spot my t-shirts. We really are everywhere.

And, thanks to thatpatguy for the kind words. Email me; I want to talk over your poetry/music idea for a future Dusty Owl project.

Love to all...

Steve

I love the rest stops on the way to shows...the straights never know what's going on!

On the way to Alpine Valley in '02, we collectively must have scared thousands of tourists from New York state all the way to Wisconsin!

When I was travelling in '00, I came out of a hotel one morning in Eugene, Oregon and someone had left a show (tape) on my windshield. It was a great way to wake up. :)