Jambands.ca

Question for anyone who enjoys thier job...

Mr. Photogeek

It's no dream job since I'm paid to monitor " content " and video/audio quality on all the music channels: Much/MuchMore/Vibe/Loud/Reto and the new re-branded PunchMuch ( formally MTV 2 Canada ). There's only so many times I can listen to Lindsay Lohan, Shaun Paul or Ashley Simpson without going crazy.

What are looking for in the content?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I check/monitor audio and video levels for all the music programs, videos and scheduled commercials - plus I make sure that the video keys ( song and artist title ) and network " bugs " ( like you see in the bottom right corner of any program on any channel ) work properly. I also make sure the satellite/cable signals are functioning properly.

I do have the power to reject programs, promos and videos if I find them unsuitable for air. However, I have no say in actual content referring to swearing and nudity. Programming and producers take care of that.

Sometimes I can air a video of my choosing if I need to fill for time. On Retro I can get away with playing a Bruce Cockburn video or The Dead.

Hey Jaimoe, does that mean you are in Master Control? I know a bunch of peeps who work at City/Much/Bravo, in fact I play on their soccer team. I went to school with a girl who works on BT, and I knwo a bunch of other folks. Out of curiosity how did you get your job? I hear it is pretty tough to get in there.

Mr. Photogeek, I would recommend going to Loyalist as a last resort. It is a great program (I actually took the Television Broadcasting program there, but knoew a lot of people in the Photojournalism program). Great school but that's it for the town (and yes it's only a town not a city) It ain't called Hell-ville for nuthin!!!

Hey Diggaz,

I'm from Glen Cairn Terrace and a proud J.R. Henderson Hawk. I'll be bringing back the Kingston Canadians avatar soon.

Also, I'm indeed a MuchMusic/MuchMore/Loud/Vibe/Retro and PunchMuch master control op. I worked as a master op at Life Network but I never quit my part-time job on Electric Circus because I thought keeping a foot in the door at Chum would pay off down the road - which it did.

When I was doing an EC live remote @ Canada's Wonderland, the technical producer wondered why I hadn't been hired full-time at the station yet. He then phoned my current boss and said that he should hire me for a vacant Bravo/Space master job. I got a little lucky, but I paid some serious dues and I am no phony weasel kiss-ass - If I was, I'd probably be a producer by now.

my train zoomed right by those crossroads. i sometimes wish i got off and explored, but currently love my "job". i'm a pediatric resident, and feel truly privleged to work with children everyday. The real, real bad part about it is on bad weeks i work over 100 hours, average about 80/week and thats ALL in the hospital. i have no assets asides from my education and have the debt of a small country. So if possible, enjoy the crossroads.

I'm a Catholic boy, Our Lady of Lourdes, my 'rents still live in the same house right beside the school/across from Centre 70 on Days rd.

Good deal on the job, same as with anyone in the industry, get a lucky break and you are set (same way I ended up with my job).

Cheers.