Jambands.ca

Bass Heaven - Thank you Jaco!

Deeps

Just picked up Jaco Pastorius Big Band (word of mouth revisited). WOW!

This album features re-recorded songs originally by Jaco. The album features an unfair amount of great bass players.

Victor Bailey, Christian McBride, Marcus Miller, David Pastorius and Victor Wooten to name a few!

For the unitiated Jaco Pastorius f'n rules one of if not the first players to rip the frets out of his bass fill them wood filler and change bass playing forever, his phrasing and sheer balls with which he played influenced, inspired, and guided countless bass players during and after his time.

He died early and under often confused circumstances. Turns out he was likely bi-polar and his mysterious behaviour evetually lead to his death.

Very Brief Biography

He can be heard as playing bass for

Weather Report

Joni Mitchell (Mingus album)

His own independant releases.

I'm listening to the genius of this playing and seriously moved by the composition and new levels he brought the instrument to which I am dedicated.

Thanks Jaco.

Dig this action kids!!!

It's important stuff and you likely will hear hints of all your favourite bass players in what he's doing.

Deeps

I gotta checkout that album.... really good player... never been too crazy about Weather Report's music, but his fuzzy wahish playing really stands out. I have some of his solo stuff, and with Pat Metheney that is really good too.

My favourite Jaco track these days is Dry Cleaner from Des Moines on Joni Mitchell's Mingus album.

Ridiculous playing and horn parts.

I've got a live in New York album that kicks hard...great version of the Meters "Cissy Strut".

Love that action.

Deeps

never been too crazy about Weather Report's music

Sacrilege! You just haven't heard the right albums.

Jaco is on a couple of other Joni live albums, including Shadows and Light and possibly Miles of Aisles along with Tom Scott and the LA Express.

He was a gifted artist to be damn sure.

I still believe that Jaco is the best bassist of all time... and yes, I have seen Vic live. It's the innovation that really mattered. Jaco broke down barriers and made people think about the bass for the first time in history.

And he had those crazy Jaco thumbs (which I also have - let me tell you - it really helps for bass playing!)

thumbs_plain2.jpg

there's a fine line between genius and insanity, and Jaco spent his recording career on the genius side before slipping over the edge, possibly grossed out by the sight of his own thumbs :)

i read a biography of him that claimed that he basically turned his back on his musician friends and became, well, a bit unhinged....

another great one bites the dust, i guess...