Jambands.ca

recycling plastic bags?

meggo

Most grocery store plastic bags can be placed in your blue box.

Not here in Ottawa.

They nixed the plastics recycling program last year for all but "1" and "2" plastics. They stopped taking the plastic grocery bags too, after it became public information that they were just shipping them to China for incineration (at a huge expense to taxpayers).

Next week Ottawa will re-instate recycling for most plastics, but not the shopping bags.

My advice is don't get the plastic bags in the first place. Use your own cloth bags, use a plastic bin, ask for paper bags.

just checked out d_rawk's link...

this was the kind of thing I was going to suggest -- If recycling isn't an option, go to the next "R" -reuse. I often drop a pile of them off at Grocery Stores where people use boxes or have to buy bags (like NoFrills and Price Chopper here in TO). I just leave them at the end of a cash line conveyer belt and they get used by the people behind me, eventually. Food banks and places like the Sally Ann are also good bets...

but I agree, we all gotta remember the first R in the first place --reduce the use. But I'm also bad at remembering to pack my cloth bags for a shopping expedition!

the bike! i'm so sorry sharon, i have a brain like a sieve... :P

sunshine i'm just moving across the hall! moving into a one bedroom from the bachelor(ette). very stoked. it's going to be the easiest move ever (i think).

:)

thanks again people!