Jambands.ca

summer reading...?

Calamity Jane

okay, here's the deal.....

I've been driving myself to drink over an online "additional qualification" ON-LINE course I've been taking. (Dave has already been instructed to push me roughly to the bed and mess me UP! should I entertain such a thought again.) BUT --it's about to end TOMORROW. oh yay for me!!!

what should I now take up as summer reading? Fiction recommendations only, please.

Here's a list of books that I've read this summer so far that i've found to be really interesting:

1)"Sophie's World" (I just started reading it today and really couldn't put it down) - it's an easy read and fairly entertaining about the history of philosophy.

2)"The Eternal Lightness of Being" - Milan Kundera: another entertaining story, an existentialist one at that. Brilliantly written.

3) Though it's not fiction, I read Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" (it came out in 1962). This book started a huge environmentalist movement in the United States. It's pretty revolutionary

4)"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime" - a really light, easy read as well...through the eyes of a boy who falls somewhere on the lines of Autism Spectrum Disorder. This is another one I just couldn't put down.

5) "On A Cold Road" - Dave Bidini. He's the guitar player for the Rheostatics...it's about the bands' first Canadian tour opening for the hip, and essentially a history of Canadian Rock in general. Lots of commentary by Rick Emmet and Goddo. It was appropriate as I started reading it when we were on the road with Little Feat.

If you want more info on any of these I'd be happy to chat about it - happy reading.

Booch

4)"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime"

Oh man, this was such a great book! I have a copy somewhere Deb if you want to borrow it. I can bring you a package to the cottage. ;)

I've been reading a lot of Miriam Toews so far this summer. I just finished A Complicated Kindness, am just starting Swing Low: A Life (written from the perspective of Toews's manic-depressive father who committed suicide). I read A Boy of Good Breeding at the beginning of the summer. She has a wicked sense of humour that I think you'll really appreciate.

Dress Your Family in Corduroy & Denim by David Sedaris is also great. If you're not familiar with him, check 'im out!

If you want something to make your hair stand on end and keep you up at night (in that "I've-got-to-save-the-world!" kind of way), may I suggest 50 Facts That Should Change the World by Jessica Williams? It's incredible. A great idea for a book. Wish I'd thought of it first. Damn!

A lot of great magazines have their summer reading issues out now too. I picked up The Walrus last weekend and have been drooling over it ever since. There is a series of poetry and prose entitled Love Letters from such writers as Margaret Atwood, Leonard Cohen, Douglas Coupland, Shela Heti, David Bezmozgis, etc. Also a great article on Green Party leader (and corporate image maker) Jim Harris. Great read!

Okay, my geekiness has been exposed once again. I'm out! :P

Oh yeah, I also second the Tom Robbins suggestion. Anything by that man will make your mind come alive.

KM -- please bring me your fav Tom Robbins -- I've only read "Skinny Legs and All" and thoroughly loved it. Been looking to read another one....

Also if you have that latest Sedaris, I'd love to borrow it, too. (I can probably just rip through it this weekend) He is one funny essaysit -- literally pee-your-pants-funny! (ooops, guess that was an 'over-share')

(see ya soon sweetness!)

A couple new book recommendations...

First, this one is a quick but totally fun read. Basically about a twisted and perverted ghost giraffe...fun as long as your not easily offended (and I don't think you are...):

Jim Giraffe by Darren King

I also have to give props to a friend of mine who just published a mystery/thriller book that kicks ass!

Blue Mercy by Illona Haus

Her Website:

Illonahaus.com

Some oldies but goodies:

First a few from one of my current favorites Neil Gaiman:

Neverwhere

Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett of Discworld fame)

American Gods

...and his new one, the sequel (sort of) to American Gods:

Anansi Boys

I know that you only want fiction, but this is a fantastic collection of short stories that you may like:

Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

Hope you may like at least one of those!

mike

Done deal darlin'! ;) I can bring you Still Life With Woodpecker, Villa Incognito and Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates* by Tom Robbins. The rest are on loan to other skanks and relatives. Lacey & I are reading Jitterbug Perfume together right now too. If you want to get started on that we'll have it at the cottage. (Fuck yeah *kick*, the countdown is on!)

I'll bring you Sedaris. I totally agree with his pee-your-pants humour. I wasn't wild about the beginning of this book, but did it ever grow on me. I'll bring it up for sure.

*In case anyone's interested, Chapters has this on sale for $9.99...hardcover! Look in the Bargain Books section.

If you've only read Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins check out the rest of his books, they are all pretty much equally as good.

Also check out anything by Christopher Moore his books will make you laugh.

One more, "Pest Control" by Bill Fitzhugh, when Bob Dillon bug exterminator gets confused for a professional 'exterminator' halarity ensues...

I bet I've picked this book up about 90 times and have never ended up taking it home. Sounds interesting, but ya never know. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna check this one out. Bonus that it's offensive.

I think you'll find it worth it...bizarre, with a strange narrative style, but super funny and quirky.

I've actually heard a lot of good things about this novel. I think I'm going to pick it up in the near future.

Well worth it...he writes for Spin and a few other magazines...which I think these stories are taken from...he also has a book called Fargo Rock City that documents heavy metal cover bands...classic!

I just finished reading The Tattooed Map by Barbara Hodgson. Its a short and easy to read travel tale. Its told in the format of a travel journal, complete with random bits of pictures and cut outs 'pasted' into the side columns. It was good!

Also recently finished Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. It was another great one, though I enjoyed his book Cat's Cradle a little more.

Jim Giraffe looks good, thanks for pointing that one out!

Next up I'm thinking about reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. Anyone here read that one?

WOW -- thanks all...I love impassioned, word of mouth referrals!

Now if I can just log off here, and onto my course for the last, final, painful, excruiating "discourse" with unknown folks (waaaaayyy less interesting than y'all) and on a topic waaaaayyy less racy, offensive, FUN, etc., then I'll be FREE, FREE, FREE at the end of the day!

looking forward to picking up a few of your recommendations, skanks! thanks, again!

Hey KevO -- let me know if you get through "One Hundred Years..." I gave up half-way through. It's written in a style called "Magic Realsim", that I enjoy only in short doses (like short stories), but it began to drag for me. In fact, from that book, there's one scene about a trickle of blood that was when I finally had enough, but I'll always remember that scene. Anyway, did the amazon search to post the link, and wouldn't ya know it...that exact passage was there under the review of the book!!!

A trickle of blood came out under the door, crossed the living room, went out into the street, continued on in a straight line across the uneven terraces, went down steps and climbed over curbs, passed along the Street of the Turks, turned a corner to the right and another to the left, made a right angle at the Buendía house, went in under the closed door, crossed through the parlor, hugging the walls so as not to stain the rugs, went on to the other living room, made a wide curve to avoid the dining-room table, went along the porch with the begonias, and passed without being seen under Amaranta's chair as she gave an arithmetic lesson to Aureliano José, and went through the pantry and came out in the kitchen, where Úrsula was getting ready to crack thirty-six eggs to make bread.

"Holy Mother of God!" Úrsula shouted.

Next up I'm thinking about reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. Anyone here read that one?

Not yet, but it's certainly on my "to do" list. Apparently the book to read if you're interested in life/travel in South America. My boyfriend read it and insists I read it before we head down south. Although I think Phorbesie's right, the Spanish version would be far better. I'm not sure which one Lacey read, but he liked it.

Here's my 2 cents, and a few more...

The Eternal Lightness of Being" - Milan Kundera - great book, beautiful writer

One Hundred Years of Soliture - one of my top 10 books ever. Marquez is one of the 20th century's greatest storytellers. Don't believe the discerning voices.

As for my summer reading thus far, I read an amazing, haunting book called "The Wildfire Season" by Andrew Pyper. Canadian writer, set in the Yukon, about a firefighter trying to escape his past, only to have his former lover and child he's never met come searching for him. If you've ever been to the Yukon, this will surely bring back memories.

Also in the midst of Bob Dylan's "Chronicles," and "The Apprenceticeship of Duddy Kravitz," by Richler.

Another recommendation, if you're into South America, photpgraphy, plants, and/or all the above, check out a book called "The Lost Amazon" by Wade Davis, who also wrote "The Serpent and the Rainbow." This is an essay, biography, and collection of photograps about Richard Schultes, the 20th century's foremost ethnobotanist, Hravard prof. who spent 12 years in the Amazon in the 40's and 50's. truly remarkable stuff. he classified magic mushrooms, ayahuasca, and 300 other plant species, and influences the rubber trade. his understated, intimate photographs capture a place and time and various people never seen on film before. beautiful book.

greasyfizeek

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

This was one of the best books I've ever read. It's another one of those that takes a bit of effort in the beginning but then meanders smoothly from start to finish.

The same (i.e. best books) could be said for Unbearable Lightness. I read Curious Incident and it was a good, light and very quick read.

The last book I picked up was Phil Lesh's book about the dead...keeping with tradition of reading every member's take on the whole thing..but I was bored after 100 pages and gave up on it.

I'm in need of something from the bibliotheque so I'll take a few of these suggestions up.

haven't read '100 years of solitude', but i did read a few other marquez books - "no one writes to the colonel/el coronel no tiene quien le escribe", in spanish, for school - not bad, but i think some of it was lost on me b/c of lingering language barriers - and "love in a time of cholera" in english, which i really really enjoyed. one of these days i hope to tackle '100 years..' en espanol.. one of these days..

one book my mom keeps telling me to read is 'running with scissors' by Augusten Burroughs. she says he's really neurotic and it's a hilarious read.

i also read 'unbearable lightness of being' and liked it alot.