Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum

rubberdinghy

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you think they may unload Emery?

Why would they do that? They just signed him to a pretty decent deal in my eyes. If he turns into the goalie that they have been projecting it will look like an excellent deal in the near future.

While I am not enamoured with him as a starter yet it certainly would appear to me to hold onto him. Then again, who knows which GM may offer too much to turn down.

This certainly wont win anyone back amongst the Redden-haters.

Bryan Murray had Wade Redden traded last month. But the deal was swiped off the table by the veteran defenceman.

"I'm not shopping him around at all," Murray said yesterday when asked about the status of Redden, the team's top paid player at $6.5 million (all terms US) a season and unrestricted free-agent eligible next July.

"I had a conversation at the draft, there was a deal I could go with, but (Redden) decided he didn't want to be traded. That's what a no-trade (clause) is. At this moment, Wade will be in Ottawa."

Redden had early injuries and struggled through much of the 2006-07 season. While there's been talk the Oilers were interested in obtaining him, another rumour had Redden going to the Sharks for centre Patrick Marleau.

Set to make $4.5 million in the upcoming season, Marleau is also eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

you think they may unload Emery?

Why would they do that? They just signed him to a pretty decent deal in my eyes. If he turns into the goalie that they have been projecting it will look like an excellent deal in the near future.

While I am not enamoured with him as a starter yet it certainly would appear to me to hold onto him. Then again' date=' who knows which GM may offer too much to turn down.[/quote']

I'm just wondering....if they can't unload gerber you think they really want to carry 7 mill in the goalie dept.

you think they really want to carry 7 mill in the goalie dept

Why not? Its not that crazy. A quick look shows us a couple of teams and their plights with goaltending salaries:

Anaheim - 7

Boston - 5.5

Chicago - 6.7 tied up in one goalie

Colorado - 6 with Theodore

Edmonton - 5

Florida - 5.3 with Vokoun and they need a backup

I'm quite intrigued by Dinghy's suggestion that if they can't move Gerber, why not move Emery instead? Although I think the alternative of just sending Gerber and his salary to the minors might make more sense.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Emery and Gerber's chances are about equal to get hot and win a pile of games. I'd prefer Emery's tenacity though.

Guest Low Roller

I thought about that question... Although he may have had stunning stats, I don't think that Hasek deserves to be top two because his contribution to Senators lore is limited, as that would be my criteria for choosing. Let's not forget that he also failed to report that his injury would keep him out of the playoffs, instead assuring management that he would be back. The Sens were looking at making a trade deadline deal for a new goalie if you remember.

First by far for me would be Patrick Lalime who was the backstop for five seasons during the Sens' rise to prominence in the league. In 2002-03 he arguably had just good a year as Hasek had, and played 20 more games.

Ron Tugnutt is arguable second in my books because he put up for four years with a team that was *almost* there, but not quite. He managed an incredible 1,75GAA in 1998-1999 in the same amount of games as Hasek played in 2005-2006.

It's too early for Emery but he'll be up there if he stays a couple more years.

Props to Damien Rhodes for playing with an awful team.

I'd like to apologize to Peter Sidorkiewicz.

Yup, slow end of the day at work.