Jambands.ca

Laptops

phorbesie

i'm also shopping for a new laptop...

i have a dell inspiron 4000 right now, there have been some problems with it, but basically it's just old and i'm gonna get a new one.

dell has good deals on them, but i'm not sure i want another dell. some people have told me bad things...also the HD crashed on this one...and i've heard their customer service/warranty service is crap.

before this i had a toshiba but had a few troubles too. i guess there are always troubles with computers!!!

so i'm thinking about an IBM or HP or Mac (never used a mac though...what's the deal with those? a lot of my work deals with MS products so i need to use these).

so, the question is...

do you have a laptop? and do you like it or hate it? what kind is it?

recommendations and warnings welcome.

thanks!!!

:)

we got a Compaq/HP

The only thing I don't like is that it was sold to us with a DVD burner, and we naturally assumed that the burner was DVD-R however it wasn't. That kind of pissed me off when I went to burn a DVD and discovered that it wouldn't work with the blanks I buy.

What I love the most, is the wireless networking and the ability to hook up the laptop to our tv and watch downloaded tv shows.

I'd start with what you want out of it - power computing or portability/long battery life? Versitility in function/applications or simple use?

Will this be a semi-portable desktop replacement, or truely on-the-road computer?

Then go for a price range, that would determine what brand you could go for.

IBM's tend to be a bit more $$, but many of them are really good and built like tanks.

Personally, I would stay away from Dell's, unless you're on a tight budget, you'll get the most for your $$ from them.

Combination of portability and functionality at a moderate/high price - Toshiba..bar none.

There are many things to consider, too many options in fact. So the easiest way to narrow down your options is to know what you want and how much you're willing to spend..pretty much the same philosophy for most electronics.

I'm really on the fence about them because of the cost/benefit thing, however having wireless capability at home and on the road would be great - I've had nothing but desktops but work and life are finding a use for portability.

I fooled around with a brand spanking new iBook the other day, and goddamn if I wasn't very impressed with it. Almost made me want to learn the MAC OS a bit better. Any iBook people care to comment?

I have a G4 Powerbook and I LOVE it. I think a lot of it boils down to preference though. I find the Mac operating system far more user friendly (but I was also trained to use Photoshop, Illustrator, etc on it). The major downside is (of course) the crazy pricetag. While you can get a Dell or similar brand for around $1000, you can plan on doubling, tripling (or in my case quadrupling) that amount. :( Unless you are going to be using a lot of demanding programs simultaneously (or you're fucking loaded) it's probably not worth it.

However, if you do have your heart set on a Mac, the Microsoft Office suite works just fine. SUPER fast. :) Pretty much any program has a Mac version. Those babies have been going like hotcakes the last few years.

If it's just the OS X style that you dig, I'm pretty sure you can get that for a PC. I think Guigs or someone was telling me about this a while ago.

We have a powerbook G4 and a toshiba 2.8ghz here. Powerbook is great, but costs a shitload. I got my Toshiba for about 1,700 and it's got everything I need. DVD burner on it is prety shit though. Only seems to work partially. Really annoying.

Will this be a semi-portable desktop replacement, or truely on-the-road computer?

Oddly a lot of people don't consider this and assume that bigger is better. Yeah, a 17" screen looks real nice, but that extra weight becomes a lot to lug around. If it's a truly portable machine, save some bucks and get a smaller one. Then get an external monitor to use at home if necessary. I got the sweet little 12". It's hard as hell to colour correct photos on a laptop anyway. :crazy:

Also, perks like built-in superdrives (DVD burner) aren't really worth the expense on a laptop as they are SLOW SLOW SLOW. I think mine runs at a 1x speed. Jesus. I would've been better off getting an external one at Future Shop for a couple hundred bucks instead of the extra $800 it cost me.

thanks for the input folks!

the only reason i need a laptop over a desktop is because i work from home and then will have to take it to meetings or whatnot. but i'm not planning on taking it with me everywhere so it doesn't have to be super-aerodynamic or anything.

basically all i need it for is MS Office for work, storing tons of digital photos and music, and burning CDs...nothing crazy.

price is an issue...no way i'm spending 4K. more like 1K!

:)

well, i can pay a bit more than that...but just trying to keep costs as low as possible :)

i guess i could manage with a desktop (way more bang for my buck) but i kinda feel like if i am having to upgrade computers every number of years (i hate this!) i should try and limit the waste to a smaller size...hehe.

good reviews all around here...still can't choose a brand! well i have a couple weeks to comparison shop :)

I just got the NEW G4 Ibook laptop, 12'! like 30 minutes ago. fucking love it and i am just opening it. the new model has 512 RAM (plus the extra i added), bluetooth, and 40 GB harddrive. yeehah!

RIP Jerry. 10 years ago I was in a soccer stadium in Tel Aviv seeing REM and Radiohead when we we heard the news jerry died.

greasyfizeek