Jambands.ca

Heatley to Ottawa

SevenSeasJim

...he thinks that Ottawa is in a much better position to win the Stanley Cup now because they will be able to keep their core intact, which they could not have done with Hossa remaining.

I thought Hossa was a signifficant part of the core... but when you have Chara, Redden and Alfie taking up 40% of the Ice Time in the Game it's not hard to find the core. The peices are there... just a couple of upgrades... like upgrading Bondra to a guy who wants to learn the system (a la Havlat), and someone to centre Alfie (Or Heatley, or Havlat if Alfie plays Centre), which is probably the next big change that's being rumoured and one that might wait till the trade deadline so that the weakest link is exposed.

I'm also really excited to see Antione Vermette and Josh Langfeld back with a couple more years under their belt... though the two players could go either way as Vermette usually was the guy falling all over the ice getting tripped up on a speed burst and Langfeld was usually the guy pounding away in the front of the net, or slowing someone coming out of the the defensive corner.

A big thing with Heatley is he'll have to learn... which might be a problem for some young Gun players, but the way he whimpered out of Atlanta, I think he'll be open to the idea of learning and playing within the system (which as indicated by the dozen or so 5+ goal games the Sens had last year) isn't always boring. Plus throw in the A train back laying speedy forwards, and Zedno (I say Zed'yes'), what a package. I'm in Toronto now... but I'll be getting centre Ice. I'll probably get to see more Sens games this year than any other!!!

Oh I remember the past... Magnus Arvedson... How many breakaways did he get... I'm not trying to say he was the best thing since cheese slices... but man... that guy could free himself from the pack... until one too many goal post broke his knees!

Peace,

~W

Wow, I go away for a week and miss this blockbuster! I'm surprised that Sens fans were questioning this deal, but it looks like you've all smartened up since... ;)

No question, Hossa is in his prime and should continue to put up big numbers, while Heatley is still teetering on the edge of super-stardom. As Jaimoe mentioned, Hossa (and linemate Radek Bonk for that matter) never scored when it mattered. With the right line mates, hopefully Heatley will finally fill that clutch goal scorer roll.

The Greg Devries salary dump was a great move, and I can't believe they didn't buy him out when they had the opportunity. Devries was a career "partner to his team's #1 defenseman", the Sens needed someone to play with Redden, so he seemed like a great acquisition. Problem was Devries never learned the system, pinched too often and couldn't make the quick outlet pass that the Sens game depended on. He looked absolutely terrible in his stint in Ottawa. Brian Pothier ended up gelling with Redden, so Devries - at $3M a year - was the team's 5th or 6th defenseman.

Heheh, Greg DeVries lives two doors away from my parents in Stratford... Turns out he had just finalised buying a house in Ottawa. The deal closed, the next morning he was traded. Turns out he did the same thing when he was traded away from the Rangers.

AD

Ya, a Leaf fan to remind them that no matter how large their opponent, if he's in a Sens sweater, they can still win a playoff series no matter how many geriatric, concussed, or extremely small players with bulbous heads, they may have. :laugh:

I think this Leaf fan needs a Sens fan to proofread this sentence for him...

Remember when Chara picked McCabe up and threw him around like a little monkey? Yeah. Good times.

AD