Jambands.ca

The Band - A Musical History! Must see/get

Esau

Finally, a quality Band boxset & collection being released.From my understanding its to be available on tuesday sept.27th.

"OK... here it is, I can really sign off on this; the definitive musical history of The Band"

-- Robbie Robertson, Ice magazine, August 2005

a_musical_history_wm.jpg

a_musical_history.jpg

A Musical History is a comprehensive boxed set documenting The Band's recording career from 1963 to 1976, with 37 previously unreleased tracks. Released by Capitol/EMI Music Catalog Marketing in September 2005, A Musical History includes five audio discs and a DVD featuring rare live performance footage. The release concludes the comprehensive restoration campaign for The Band's entire Capitol Records catalog, that also produced the 2000/2001 remastered-with-bonus-tracks re-releases of their 8 first albums.

Among the previously unreleased audio tracks here are live and studio recordings The Band created with Bob Dylan and Ronnie Hawkins, as well as various song sketches. The DVD's nine film clips include previously unreleased concert performances, a filmed studio jam, and three songs The Band performed on "Saturday Night Live" in 1976, never before issued in their entirety.

The boxed set, which was overseen by Robbie Robertson with producers Cheryl Pawelski and Andrew Sandoval, comes packaged with a 108-page hardbound book with previously unseen photos and memorabilia, and a cover painting of The Band by world-renowned artist Ed Ruscha.

http://theband.hiof.no/albums/a_musical_history_details.html

Edited by Guest

I can' tell you how excited I am to pick this one up next week........

I can tell you how much my girlfriend is going to be pissed that I am bringing home "more Band cds". She figures they have their batch of albums, and I have at least 4 cds for every one of their official releases.

I can't believe I am going to say this but, Thanks Robbie!

Sean

YES

Thank you Greg for letting me know about this, I had no idea it was in the pipeline. I have been a Band fan for a good long while, but in the past year I've become insatiable. The Brown Album is my bible, my shrine, the inanimate object to which I pray as it spins on my turntable. I picked up the DVD of the making of the Brown Album (an episode of that VH1 show Classic Albums) from Future Shop for $9.99, and it's pretty awesome, I highly recommend it. Levon and John Simon sit in the studio and separate the different channels so you can appreciate all the little bits and pieces that come together to make the music. When they get to "Rockin Chair", it's particularly awesome. Richard Manuel sings the verses in his rich, soulful tenor, but then when the chorus comes along, he goes way up to sing this impossibly high harmony in his classic falsetto, with Levon singing the melody and Rick Danko in the middle. They also go through "When You Awake" and a load of others. Then there is also Robertson in a different studio, he goes through Cripple Creek, Dixie, and a few others. Rick Danko was still alive too, so there's plenty of him in there.

Anyway, I want this box set. Any word on how much $$$?

Excited = me

Been hearing about this for a long time now. Late last year I heard of a May 2005 release date, and was quite dissappointed when that didn't happen. Only a few days ago did it pop back into my head. "buy me... buy me!"

Okay. I will.

Is there a tracklist anywhere for this?

Also... met a guy this week who has 2 CDs of Levon and the Hawks in Port Dover he's going to burn for me. Anyone else heard of these recordings before? I think one track from this show is on "Across the Great Divide"... Let's Honkytonk or something like that.

Can't wait.

Is there a tracklist anywhere for this?

Yep,right here.

http://theband.hiof.no/albums/a_musical_history.html

Perhaps we could set up a trade Jeff after you recieve those Hawks recordings? I've only read they exsist,haven't heard them though.Probally find info on them here:

http://theband.hiof.no/tape_archive/band_tapes_60s.html

Sweet,let me know Jeff when its all good,heres my list:(Dylan & the band in the Dylan section)

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/Esau

Thanks mister slippery,I made the changes on the first post also.$106 works for me. :thumbup:

no prob.

funny tho, you changed date, not day.

no matter how much you want it, you, and everyone else, must wait till tuesday.

:)

Ok,I had the pleasure of watching the DVD last night,only words that come to mind to describe it are "blown away."

Amazing footage from Robbie's studio in Woodstock '70 & Wembley stadium (sept.'74)- A very crazy Genetic Method/Chest Fever. Some other great footage also (Festival Express), but currently the only visual & sounds clear in my memory are the two mentioned below.

Hands down the best ever 'Stage Fright' I've ever heard,which appeared on SNL Oct.30 1976 Rick & The band were spot on.Rick sounded amazing.

Also,the SNL performce from the same night of 'Georgia On My Mind' - Richard Owned it!Un-fuckin-believable! One word to describe Richard singing this song : BEAUTIFUL

I'm really surprised I hadn't seen the SNL footage before,I was seriously floored.Add this part of the DVD to the "movies that make you cry" thread.

The price tag was $99 and change at HMV in Limeridge Mall here in Hamilton,but in my opinion the cost is worth it just for the DVD,in fact just for the 'Stage Fright & Georgia On My Mind' alone!

And thats without even listening to one of the five audio discs and only skimmy through the amazing book that everything is packaged in.A must get must see for any fan of The Band.