Jambands.ca

Buck 65

dave-O

Just thought I'd mention that I saw Buck 65 for the first time last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Two turntables and a microphone. And a fiancée.

Apparently he's been telling the same stories (like the girl who ate a bicycle one) for ages, but being a first-timer I didn't pick up on the self-mythologizing.

Gruff voice, great rhymes, a couple of turntable tricks - I ate that shit up last night. I'm not a huge fan of his latest disc "Secret House Against The World", but will definitely be checking out the back catalogue.

He's definitely slipping... It used to be that he had reams of stories he's choose from or come up with something on the fly, everything seems just a little too strained lately, you get that sense from him in conversation as well. He's obviously focused on developing as an artist but frankly I miss the Vertex or Man Overboard era where he'd do the Centaur or his version of Casey At The Bat.

I was talking about the DJ Olympics at the Khyber what must have been five years ago. Basically Murphy (Paul, Bastid) was really just coming up, a very young kid who was just a bedroom player but worked really hard, I think it was his second year playing the Olympics because if I'm not mistaken Buck won the year before. Anyways by now Bastid was getting a lot of attention and had a strong following and more confidence. He was wearing like a straw oriental hat I seem to recall. Anyways it got narrowed down to the two of them and Buck did his thing and then Bastid came back with this total coup d'etat. Basically he matched up two identical records of Buck's, it must have been Man Overboard given the timeframe, and juggled the beat back and forth so that it came out sounding like the Imperial March from Star Wars (Vader's theme song, dun dun dun dum dun dun dum dun dun). It was just the most ingenious way to unseat the master because it would have been really hard to find segments on in this case a record of your opponent and a way to juggle them so as to play a recognizable song itself about a confrontation between good and evil or master and student. He would have had to have worked at it for a very long time and it just came off so seamlessly. Very ironic and very well executed.

Don't know about that Merrill's show though I don't even recall there ever being shows at Merrill's just sketchy cheap drink hooch party's with girls (and unfortunately guys) from St. Mary's.