banner_october.gif

GYPSY CO-OP JAZZ GROOVE SERIES v.4

nujazz * worldbeat * urban grooves * livetronica www.gypsyco-op.com

funk_tour_poster_450px.jpg

Funk Service International E-card

Friday, October 21st

Funk Service International (Sweden) nu jazz / lounge www.funkservice.com

w/ DJ Goldfinger (CIUT 89.5 FM)

From Sweden, Funk Service International is exciting hybrid blend of Jazz, Lounge, Soul and World Music. Formed around Europe's modern Nu Jazz production team of Adil Fadi and Jonas Persson, Funk Service makes their North American debut. DJ Goldfinger is the host of CIUT's top rated nu-jazz show in Toronto spinning the best modern and old school jazz tracks.

Friday, October 28th

beatzMASSIVE live Band / DJ hybrid - Raw Acid & Funko Jams w/ DeeJay Scootz www.beatzmassive.ca

www.deejayscootz.ca

beatzMASSIVE* is a revolutionary army of artists, whose goal is to challenge the unconscious themes of their surroundings through musical,

visual and cultural exploration. DJ Scootz' music runs as deep in flavor as it does in quality - spinning rare Jazz, Sweet 60's Soul, 70's R&B, Funk, Disco, Hip-Hop, Conscious Reggae and more...

Edited by Guest

I'm torn on all this. I talked to the manager of Van Gogh's, Vinyl and Jimmy Jazz tonight about the complications around Slowcoaster playing tomorrow night at main floor Van Gogh's (right at Wyndham and MacDonnell). Seems like all they're guaranteed at this point is an opening slot and some local band 'The Next Big Thing' has got the rest of the night. I'm hoping the boys all make friends and work out some third set jam or the whole things bullocksed to my mind. That being said I never make trips into TO for bands these days but this is justifiably tempting.

That was a wild weekend Marge! That's when I hijacked the Wassabi Collective Band from Melissa and Gisto @ Frontier Town for my opening slot. We were having so much fun, that Melissa just had jump on and bring some vibe (and percussion) to my High Plains Drifter repetoire. Then I was lucky to joing WC for their second set! Although there wasn't too many people there, it was one of the most fun weekends of the summer!

HERE'S OUR SPECIAL GUEST TONIGHT!!

Photo294.jpg

If you see a red-haired rasta hitching between LONDON and TORONTO, pick him up!!

SNAPPY HOMEFRY and MYSELF will be backing GISTO. BRING THE JAMS!

Un-freaking-real. WHAT A PARTY... the G rated stuff ended quite early. Team of Captains surely entertained, complete with costume changes and vintage keyboards, and SLOWCOASTER... Fugedaboudit. Could barely pull them off the stage at 2:30!!! And we were still sweeping them out the door at 3:00!!

The countrification of the GROOVEJAZZ series is complete. We've touched on a plethora of genre's through this series, and it give me great satisfaction to look back at all the amazing acts we've had up to this point.

Hey Y'all great jams on Friday.

Team of Captains drew a great crowd, about 20 people in the audience knew all the words to the song, delivering a hard hip-hop funk rock show.

Slowcoaster were on stage at about 11:30 - starting off with the title track on their new album "Where are they going" - at 12:30 the boys took a break and Gisto (of Wassabi Collective), Snappy (of Chameleon Project), Devin Strang (of Slowcoaster) and myself (of High Plains Drifter) hit the stage for a 25 minute set of reggae jams... Gisto was so animated, quickly ditching the guitar so he could rouse the crowd into a frenzy. Stephen MacDougall (singer of Slocoaster) joined in on percussion, it was a 'CanJam" super group MONSTER JAM!!

Slowcoaster came back killed a second set, getting progressively drunker and crazier as the night when on... beers and shots were flowing, the night ended with Slowco bassist Mike Lalieve singing a rock tinged "Shady Groove".

The after party (held Upstairs at the Hootch) when to the wee hours, with more sing songs and a friendly reggae MC battle between Gisto and Stephen.

Thanks to all who showed up! this was a great night! I hope you cats will be up for more music this month.. Funk Service, Wassabi Collective, Smalltown DJs. yay!

~this week~

CHECK OUT THE FUNK SERVICE E-CARD

- Music Samples and Visuals...

www.aporia-records.com/funkecard.html