Jambands.ca

Ravi Shankar at the NAC

Velvet

So I finally got around to picking up tickets today. The show is next Tuesday, and I can't think of a better venue around here to see Ravi in.

There are still plenty of tickets left, the cheapest starting at $34 (total price if you get them at the NAC ticket booth). Those with student ID might wanna wait until the day of and pick up Student Rush tickets for, what is it, $9 a ticket or something?

Anyway, hope to see some of you out for this one.

yep! She is ON the bill!

Anoushka_Shankar.jpg

This legendary sitar virtuoso and composer was named the “Godfather of World Music” by his student George Harrison of the Beatles, and compared to Mozart for his “genius and humanity” by Yehudi Menuhin. In this special concert in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the Ottawa International Jazz Festival, Shankar plays sitar and conducts an ensemble of Indian violin, folk drums, wind instruments, and traditional vocals in his own compositions.

Ravi Shankar, sitar

Anoushka Shankar, sitar

Tanmoy Bose, tabla

Adity Prakash, vocals

Ravichandra Kulur, flute

Sanjeev Shankar, shenai

Swarmina Gusain, vocals

Neyveli S. Radhakrishna, violin

Nicki Able, tanpura

Hari Vrndavn Sivanesan, veena

Pirashanna Thevarajah, percussion

the very first time i visited my sister in ottawa, about 10 years ago, i spent the summer day walking around, visiting the art gallery and the locks, and on the way home stopped at a little music store in the glebe, where i purchased the ravi shankar boxed set.

so i think i must go to this show.

:)

ooh i just remembered...then i took the bus to burlington and went to the clifford ball. one of the best weekends, ever. :)

Edited by Guest