Jambands.ca

happy birthday Bobby

bONES

Happy Birthday Ace! Thanks for the music!

winterland_garcia-weir.jpg

Black Throated Wind

Born Cross Eyed

Cassidy

Estimated Prophet

Feel Like A Stranger

Greatest Story Ever Told

Hell In A Bucket

I Need A Miracle

Jack Straw

Lazy Lightnin'

Supplication

Looks Like Rain

Lost Sailor

Mexicali Blues

The Music Never Stopped

My Brother Esau

One More Saturday Night

The Other One

Playing In The Band

Sage And Spirit

Saint Of Circumstance

Sugar Magnolia

Throwing Stones

Truckin'

Victim Or The Crime

Walk In The Sunshine

Weather Report Suite

Let It Grow

Yessir............time to play some pre-rehearsal Dead tonight!

Heat Came Round And Busted Me

Weir: Interesting story with "The Other One." Uh, it was one of the first tunes I ever wrote. Actually, we came up with the "map," basically, for the song in a rehearsal somewhere, just kickin' stuff around. And then I took it and started shaping it up, and things like that. We for the song in a rehearsal somewhere, just kickin' stuff around. And then I took it and started shaping it up, and things like that. We went on a tour, in the Pacific Northwest, and I was, you know, I was not done with it, I was wondering what the song was about, and then one night it sort of came to me. Basically, it's a little, a little fantastic, uh, episode about my meeting Neal Cassady. I wrote the two verses - that's all there is to it, really, is two verses - and, uh, then, uh, we played the gig that night and came home the next day and when we came home we learned the news that Neal had died that night...

DG: Wow.

Weir:...the night that I wrote that. As legend has it, he died counting the railroad ties on the tracks -

Lesh: From Dallas to Denver.

Weir: Something like that. San Miguel de Allende [Mexico], I think, is where he was.

Lesh: Okay.

Weir: Um, so I guess that was a little visitation, that's - not unlike Neal.

Lesh: But if I remember correctly, as soon as you had, as soon as you had the words, then we did the song.

Weir: Yeah.

Lesh: I mean, we did it that night

DG: Wow.

Lesh: It didn't require any rehearsal.

Weir: Right.

Lesh:

[Over "The Other One:"] DG: Now, I remember a version from a little bit earlier, maybe the late in '67, you had a different set of lyrics; the first verse is about, you know, "the heat come 'round and busted me"...

DG: ... and then there was a second verse that was about "the heat in the jail weren't very smart," or somethin' like that...

Weir: Oh, I don't...

DG: ...and then you had - so...

Weir: Yeah, that was, that was after, uh, that was after my little...

Lesh: Water balloon episode?

MM: Uh-oh!

DG: Oh, I wanna hear this!

Weir: I got him good. Uh, there was this, there was, I was, uh, I was on the third floor of, uh, our place in the Haight-Ashbury. Um, and there was this cop who was illegally searching a car belonging to a friend of ours, um, down on the street - the cops used to harass us, uh, every chance they got. They didn't care for the hippies back then. And uh, and so I had a water balloon, and what was I gonna do with this water balloon, come on. And, uh...

Lesh: Just happened to have a water balloon, in his hand...

MM: See, I wasn't gonna bring that up...

Lesh: ...ladies and gentlemen.

Weir: And so I got him right square on the head, and uh...

Lesh: A prettier shot you never saw.

Weir: ...and, uh, and he didn't, he couldn't tell where it was comin' from, but then I had to go and go downstairs and walk across the street and just grin at him...

Lesh, MM, DG:

Weir:...and sorta rub it in a little bit.

DG: Smilin' on a cloudy day. I understand now.

Lesh, DG:

MM: It all becomes clear.

Weir: And, uh, at that point, he decided to hell with due process of law, this kid's goin' to jail. He didn't have a thing on me, they, they . It never got to court, but on the other hand, I did get thrown in jail and beat up a little bit.

MM: I still want to go back; you just happened to have that water balloon handy, it was kind of just like standard procedure.

DG: Gee, I wonder if...

Weir: He was the guy that was breakin' the law, too, the cop was.

MM: That's, that's - I agree.

Weir: I guess - what, what does a water balloon amount to, is that assault with a, uh...

DG: Friendly weapon.

MM: With a moist weapon.

Lesh, DG:

MM: That goes under the water laws.

DG:

MM: And if it was tap water, that also...

Lesh: Disrespect for an officer.

gallery6-22.jpg