Jambands.ca

irritating co-workers who deserve to be pranked...

deranger

Ok, so I work in a busy call centre in beautiful Scarborough and I have to deal with 2 of the most irritating co-workers ever. These 2 women sit behind me and chatter and giggle to themselves all day. I've complained to my boss 3 times, and spoke with them twice and nothing has worked. They ignored both my boss and myself and continue to chatter and giggle and be generally disruptive (I have to yell at callers with volume on full so I can hear myself, can't hear callers, etc.....). You'd think that my boss would have the spine to do something about it, but with 15 people or so in her "team" she has other concerns. Also, I'm not the only one who is disrupted by their volume. On a personal note, I find the laughter of one of the woman to be particularly irritating, like fingernails on chalkboard.

It never ends, and I can't "get over it" and accept their noise. It drives me nuts on a daily basis. And please note: complaining to my boss or asking them nicely DOESN"T WORK. They ignore it and continue with their ways.

So good members of the board, I seek your advice and council. Rather than wait until I boil over and explode in a fit of obsenities and rage, I'd like to prank them. I'd like to prank them good, in a way that befits their irritating, chatty nature.

Suggestions on a call centre workplace prank to assist in shutting these 2 up?

One of the funniest pranks I've heard of in the workplace is taking some of those small firecrackers (think Black Cats) and wait till they go into the bathroom, give 'em a minute to get situated, light one and toss 'er in there...

His tagline: 'It'll scare the shit out of 'em!'

My buddy that used to do this worked in a shop, so it wasn't like an office setting, but still, funny... Don't know if that is too over the top for ya. Probably, but maybe you can think about it and laugh...

SfC\

Also, I'm not the only one who is disrupted by their volume. On a personal note, I find the laughter of one of the woman to be particularly irritating, like fingernails on chalkboard.

Perhaps you can gather all your co-workers who are equally annoyed, and go to your boss as a group. Sometimes, when one person complains about others, it can seem vindictive or like perhaps YOU are the one with the problem, not them. If they're disrupting others, and you all speak up, it will maybe be more clear that they ARE fortering a difficult work environment.

(This isn't a prank, but just some advice)

SfC

record them...and then edit the tape, so you have her annoying laugh cued..so when she laughs..you could hit play and play her laugh right back really loud..when she is on the phone...so she hears what she sounds like...thats just an example..you could cue up annoying phrases she says too...and play those back...so her and her friend and others can hear it. might make her realize how loud she is being and what she sounds like. howard stern does a great job of taking a recording of someone in an interview and editing their words..into embarasing new sentences.

Edited by Guest

Re: group complaint - We tried that. It didn't work.

seriously, they think its a joke. Let's say that I'm asking for prank advice to avoid the urge to use violence...just kidding.....sort of....

that or standing up in a room of 100 people and screaming at them at the top of my lungs to "JUST SHUT THE FCUK UP!"

record them...and then edit the tape, so you have her annoying laugh cued..so when she laughs..you could hit play and play her laugh right back really loud..when she is on the phone...so she hears what she sounds like...thats just an example..you could cue up annoying phrases she says too...and play those back...so her and her friend and others can hear it. might make her realize how loud she is being and what she sounds like. howard stern does a great job of taking a recording of someone in an interview and editing their words..into embarasing new sentences.

best idea so far....now I need portable recording device. I also considered a fog horn but that would be a bit over the top....

I don't think you would get into any trouble by indirectly offending her religious beliefs; purely by coincidence of course.

If, for instance, you were a self-proclaimed Satanist (which is a legitimate religion) you would be absolutely entitled to wear an upside-down cross to work.

Now, if that happened to offend someone else, who is less tolerant of Satanism than you are of Christianity, well, whose fault is that? ;)

i would go with what stone mountain has to say...go the satanist route. for sure. have a framed picture of darwin on your desk...send evolutionist emails and anti jesus emails to her, tell her you want to help her expand her horizons...just make a jesus friendly subject line.

and if you're going to bathe in anything, bathe in patchouli, not clogone.

perhaps tape a rotting piece of bacon or fish to the underside of her desk, or the back side of it early one morning before she arrives...

try your best to be as annoying as possible...perhaps accidentally spilling coffee, or soda on them...chew gum like a cow...lots of people hate that. develope a donkey laugh (maybe with an accompanying snort) of your own and chime it in whenever they laugh along with a "yeah that's a good one"....if you do that everytime they laugh, maybe they'll talk quieter so that you don't hear what they're saying so you can't laugh at it.

i say full on frontal annoying attack is your best route. you can't get in trouble for being you, whether it's real or fake. but you can get in trouble for pranks. they're done purposely and can be argued maliciously.

edit to add: oh...spit on them when you talk to them...that'll drive em nuts. and stand really really close. no one likes a close talker.

Edited by Guest

...chew gum like a cow...lots of people hate that.

That reminds me, the most annoying thing my cube neighbour does is to blow loud bubbles with her gum. It drives me freaking insane sometimes. Thankfully I have headphones.

That and whispering. Drives me nuts when people in a neighbouring cube are whispering. See if you can incorporate that somehow.

hehehe yeah the reverse bubble is always good...SNAP!

hey stnmtn....just ask cully...i'm always good for an annoying piss off. i'm one of those people who laugh at their own jokes (cause their funny of course) even when no one else laughs...heh, especially when no one else laughs.

It's gotta be a group effort, or the gum thing might just piss off everyone else as well.

Things that could piss someone off in course of doing legitimate work:

-- Use a wireless headset for no other reason than the ability to pace around the room. When you get a call, go visit the cubicle of your object of annoyance and poke absentmindedly at her stuff, then when she tries to ward you off, point at the headset and shrug.

-- Use a speakerphone.

-- Ask for advice by yelling over the cubicle walls, especially when the object of your annoyance is talking or trying to concentrate.

-- Interrupt the conversations of the objects of your annoyance by offering or asking one or both of them for advice, on the pretext that you "couldn't help but overhear ..." Do this repeatedly. Get increasingly bizarre in the advice you offer.