Jambands.ca

Addison Groove Project better than the Slip?

Guest Low Roller

Although, I've never quite understood the whole "they [The Slip] play with soul" theory making them somthing above the rest, James Brown played with "soul", hell, he was the godfather of it, but you certianly didn't have to look or feel compelled to look to deep into alot of his music.

I think that might be confusing the GENRE soul with perhaps saying that the Slip play with emotion, but I may be wrong.

Instead of being analyzed, sometimes music is simply meant to shake your booty.

I also agree to this, but I would say that there is much more of the "booty shaking" music out there, lots of options to see bands doing essentially the same thing, while the Slip has always been a unique experience to me, and one that I crave after going without for a while!

if i've been hit on the head with a hammer and am feeling a bit challenged - AGP

if i'm my normal self - Slip

I will also comment that MarcO's new avatar perhaps looks like AD at an AGP show?!?!?!?

Hope everybodys enjoying their Friday, I just had fish and chips with possibly more tartar sauce than fish and feel like exploding.

I will now stop commenting.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although, I've never quite understood the whole "they [The Slip] play with soul" theory making them somthing above the rest, James Brown played with "soul", hell, he was the godfather of it, but you certianly didn't have to look or feel compelled to look to deep into alot of his music.

I think that might be confusing the GENRE soul with perhaps saying that the Slip play with emotion, but I may be wrong.

Alot of bands play with emotion though, but by saying thats what puts The Slip above AGP, couldn't that be interpreted similar to confusing the genre(s) also?

I understand what you are saying though, I wasn't meaning to refer to the genre of "soul music", but I see your point & my cloudy statement.

scenes take away from the music itself so killing the scene is excellent.

the reason i like the Slip more than just about every danceable band out there in "the scene" is because they are moving music forward and doing things that haven't been done. as opposed to playing funk cliches and "crunchy grooves"

since when is it cool to like anything? i would say its only cool to like something if you actually give a shit if someone thinks you're cool for liking it. if that makes sense which i'm sure it doesn't.

wow - i had a lot of catching up to do in this thread. it's an interesting read, though...

so, it's cool to like the slip, huh? street cred? i really dont get that comment. i think it's the opposite - it seems cooler to not like them - seems to me more people choose to rip on 'em for the sake of ripping and getting a rise out of people, and as well all know, thats the coolest form of cool... at least in virtual jamband internet land.

as for the emotional element equaling superiority, i also disagree with that. i've never met a slip fan who would say that, but i've met several who would cite that as a reason they identify with the band - there's a difference, i think.

anyways, i just got back from ithaca - say what you will, but the slip rock hard, loud, and raunchy. just the way i like it.

as for the emotional element equaling superiority, i also disagree with that. i've never met a slip fan who would say that, but i've met several who would cite that as a reason they identify with the band - there's a difference, i think.

No problems with ya disagreeing with my comment, thats cool by me, but just because you've never heard anyone say that doesn't mean it hasn't occured.(this happens with alot of bands).Myself, I have heard a Slip fan (or three) say that and I have also heard it said its the emotional element that they could identify with, which I agree, since I'm one myself.

As I mentioned, I dig both bands for different reasons.One of which I mentioned in this post.

And yes, you are correct there is a difference.

Cheers