Jambands.ca

Bob Weir is a sad pathetic drunkard......

MarcO

5) Who arguably is really "cruising off his dead colleagues' songs"? - let's see, what other former GD member cruises around the country with his band playing a MAJORITY of Garcia tunes in his shows because he wrote a miniscule amount of material while in the GD?? - we all know the answer to that.

But people dig it, and that's their choice, but there's the facts.

FWIW, I actually thought Lesh (for whatever his other personal failings) should be applauded for playing shongs written by his old fallen comrades, not just Garcia but particularly Pigpen and Brent, bringing back into circulation and attention songs that hadn't been played in years. YMMV, of course.

That tree rocks!!!!

FWIW, I actually thought Lesh (for whatever his other personal failings) should be applauded for playing songs written by his old fallen comrades, not just Garcia but particularly Pigpen and Brent, bringing back into circulation and attention songs that hadn't been played in years. YMMV, of course.

This speaks to the main issue I have with Phil post-GD. When forming his own band, instead or writing originals or going in a new direction (ie. a full on instrumental 100% improvisational group as he had somtimes mused) Lesh basically decides to recruit jam allstars, play covers and pull out all these chestnuts live that hadn't been played in years, Viola Lee->Tons of Steel GASP! Which is cool, but its a one trick pony, a novelty, sure it's cool to hear a rare tune but there are only so many, but basically a lot Deadheads flocked to his band for this reason, and his crowds reflected it.

Meanwhile aroud this time Weir is playing almost exclusively from his own repetoire, his tunes in the GD and from his solo albums dating back to '72. Suddenly due to the adulation that Lesh is getting, in order to pull a GD crowd you have to start playing rare Garcia nuggets, and Weir did (a gripe I have with him - play your own tunes Bob!) Basically, by Lesh choosing this option, it shifted the direction of the post-GD reality more into nostalgia than creativity and new original direction, and the fans are more than happy to eat it up.

Next up - Chapter 2, Lesh manages to drive away the most individually creative additions to the post Jerry "Dead", Steve Kimock and Bruce Hornsby with his personality conflicts, movie at 11.

This speaks to the main issue I have with Phil post-GD. When forming his own band, instead or writing originals or going in a new direction (ie. a full on instrumental 100% improvisational group as he had somtimes mused) Lesh basically decides to recruit jam allstars, play covers and pull out all these chestnuts live that hadn't been played in years, Viola Lee->Tons of Steel GASP! Which is cool, but its a one trick pony, a novelty, sure it's cool to hear a rare tune but there are only so many, but basically a lot Deadheads flocked to his band for this reason, and his crowds reflected it.

Meanwhile aroud this time Weir is playing almost exclusively from his own repetoire, his tunes in the GD and from his solo albums dating back to '72. Suddenly due to the adulation that Lesh is getting, in order to pull a GD crowd you have to start playing rare Garcia nuggets, and Weir did (a gripe I have with him - play your own tunes Bob!) and boom his band becomes more popular.

Basically, by Lesh choosing this option, it shifted the direction of the post-GD reality more into nostalgia than creativity and new original direction, and the fans are more than happy to eat it up.

Next up - Chapter 2, Lesh manages to drive away the most individually creative additions to the post Jerry "Dead", Steve Kimock and Bruce Hornsby with his personality conflicts, movie at 11.

Well, last I checked, Phil had added at least an album's worth of originals to his repertoire (many of which were co-writes, but anyway ...) Of course Bobby is going to be playing almost exclusively from his own repertoire , he *has* a much more substantial songbook to fall back on. Phil, on the other hand, is an amazing bass player who just hasn't developed his songwriting chops (I can relate, because I love to perform but have no gift for songwriting at all.) I know you say it's a cop out, but I just think he is playing to his strengths as an improvisational musician, and sorry but isn't part of the jamband ethos that improvisation and jamming just as creative as straightforward songwriting?

Please understand, I'm not trying to say for a second "Phil good, Bobby bad" or anything of the sort. There are a number of subjects where I have issue with Phil : the fact that there were 5 guys on the cover of the Phil And Friends studio album and they were all Phil Lesh, the personality conflicts that have split a number of different versions of post Jerry projects. Perhaps the sad truth is that Jerry was the only one capable of keeping this group of rugged individualists working harmoniously, and any subsequent full Dead reunion will be eventually doomed to split from personal clashes. My point is they are both great musicians of a different kind, and I don't feel loving Bobby means I have to tear down Phil, or vice versa, and I frankly don't give a rats ass who the great unwashed masses of jamfans worship or neglect.

Up next, Chapter 2, why Billy Kreutzman should be your next President of The United States.

RnB

instead or writing originals

See, the problem here is that you have to get your facts straight. I am so voting NDP. The sickening display of political spins you employ on this board regarding this 'Phil-Bob' war of yours makes me question everything. If thats what you meant by "justice" the other day, than welcome to reality. This is so childish.

And further more, how did he do that again? He wasnt even in the Other Ones in 2000. Your 'opinions' are fuxed Hux.

This is so childish.

But consistent.

And further more, how did he do that again? He wasnt even in the Other Ones in 2000. Your 'opinions' are fuxed Hux

Yeah, exactly. Phil wouldn't play with the surviving members in 2000 due to him leaving GDP and the GD family over the "vault" issue.

Hornsby bailed on them because of "the squabbling", and hasn't played with all of them since 2000.

Listen, I just want the best people on that stage doing it, because I believe with the right personnel I think they can still be relevant!

Billy

Mickey

Phil

Bob

Kimock

Hornsby

...and serve.

Oh, sorry. I thought they were divided because Phil wanted Jerry's Irwin guitars to go to their rightful owner as stated in his will and wanted to ensure that GDP retained complete ownership over the vault and not to sell it to a third party company.

Riiiiiiiiiiight, that's why Bruce and Kimock left.

As Rob stated, it is becoming apparent Jerry was the glue that held them all together so let's just say I am going to cut your face tonight. Bare-knuckle boxing in the Osmond's backyard. Bring weapons.

I thought they were divided because Phil wanted Jerry's Irwin guitars to go to their rightful owner as stated in his will

No that happened in '01 I think, when they were starting to put it back together the first time, at that point Phil adopted the whole "we can disagree about business, but still play" attitude.

and wanted to ensure that GDP retained complete ownership over the vault and not to sell it to a third party company.

Well, that was the first fight yes, back when if you disagreed about business you couldn’t play together. The irony is that because Phil objected, the vault wasn’t digitized completely, and now you have it already done (www.archive.org) and the GD is doing it show by show. As the GD release a show for official sale, then it disappears from the archive, good for us, but a bad business decision at the time.

Yeah, I'm bringing a weapon tonight. And that weapon is the truth.