Jambands.ca

33 Hess in Hamilton closed

paisley

aw man. I hated that bar but I was sure glad it existed. I wonder how long Mermaid's Lounge will buck the trend?

oh well, the Village lost all lustre for me about 5 years ago. I just stopped going. Felt like I was at the University pub night all over again. Too many fights, too many goofs.

For my money, a good bar crawl in Hamilton begins and ends in the Augusta street area.

Corner of Hughson and King William is turning up roses too! [Wink]

ever since Marco headed over to Augusta there hasn't seemed to be as many fights and goofs [Wink]

I agree it was a little rough there for a bit but it got better the last few years and I've had a lot of golden nights at 33 on sunday nights... hopefully mermaid's holds out, it would totally suck if people from out of town came to hess village and there wasn't even one decent live music club there anymore... its been a Canadian live music destination for 30+ years

ps. the jazz festival has been taken over by the Monkey too and is now called something else with dj's instead of bands

Booooooo

quote:

you make me want to meet ya down in the village with a baseball bat and fix things

I'm in. [Wink]

Well with them losing their part of the old casbah(they all got evicted-three owners).I can imagine how long this will last at the old 33,I will bet it makes it through the summer and thats it.

It is a loss for Hamilton's live music scene,but really,most of the bands have gone to other venues anyway,only B.Hubert and his crowd have been really regular there and we know how those guys are [Roll Eyes] .Well exception for the Smoothies,not much worth checking out.Mismanaged for sure.

quote:

Mismanaged for sure.

ya, can't show up in your bar once a month and expect it to keep happening

(Brian Griffith kicked B. Hebert outta 33 'bout 6 months ago and took over on sundays... Brian and Sharon from sunday nights are such great people, they're the only ones I'm really worried about)

fail Funky Monkey... FAIL!!!

maybe we should try and take over the bar Esau? the removed corner of the village, big parking lot out back... perfect

quote:

ps. the jazz festival has been taken over by the Monkey too and is now called something else with dj's instead of bands

I know our little Buddy Button will be happy to hear this...........

Well I guess it's time to get those those yellow track suits we talked about, eh Esau [big Grin]

The problem with taking over the bar was that it comes with a lot of debt. Apparently, they want it assumed by the new owner. That's a pretty shitty bhusiness model: Start up with someone else's red ink.

I miss:

Sunday - Bobby Hebert Experience

Tuesday - Steve Strongman

Wednesday - Brian Griffith

Thursday - Groovediggaz

Friday - (Great Band of the Week)

Saturday - Phatstick (with both guitarists)

We've really had some great times in there. Maybe it's time to move to a new city: Ottawa is a really nice place! [Wink]

quote:

(Brian Griffith kicked B. Hebert outta 33 'bout 6 months ago and took over on sundays... Brian and Sharon from sunday nights are such great people, they're the only ones I'm really worried about)

Thanks Paisley,I had forgotten,plus this summer flu has my head swimming. [Frown]

Hey Willy,

Phatstick plays their covers every tuesday at The whistlin walrus on upper james.911 tuesdays.We go to bug the cops,but I guess if ya like the band...they have been playin there for about a year or so.No cover also.~

quote:

Well I guess it's time to get those those yellow track suits we talked about, eh Esau

hahahaha, yeah I think your right,the big fuzzy velvet ones.Gonna need a camero also and some gold chains,maybe a cell phone also....oh wait,you can do that. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by shainhouse:

That just absolutely sucks. First the Casbah, now 33 Hess. The village is getting worse and worse...

Hess Village has been pretty bad for about five years, actually. Just when I thought that it couldn't sink any lower...

This is what happens when what used to be thirteen independently-owned, uniquely styled funky bars/pubs are taken over by two or three owners. Skarratt (that dick!!) is the worst thing that ever happened to Hess Village, let alone the Hamilton music scene in general. He was screwing things up (and screwing people over) as far back as the mid-70s.

Fuck you, Jim Skarratt!! [Mad]

they should call that festival:

"Skarratt's Monkey Humping Funky Junkie Drunk Tank Boobie Bouncing Smoke Choking Security Wanking Coke Snorting If It's Any Fucking Good We Won't Cough Up Enough Dirty Mafia Funds To Book It And No One Pays Any Fucking Attention Anyhow Because How Often Do The Fat Lazy Smelly Stupid Ugly Inbred Fucks of Hamilton Have The Chance To Drink In The Streets You Could Put The Fucking Rolling Stones Up There and No One Would Notice Puke Street Cash Cow Cops Every Fucking Where Bunch o' Crap Festival 2003".

imho. [Mad][Wink]

well The Smoothies play predominantly covers so my first recommendation would be Ivory's and if that doesn't work maybe try the Lazy Flamingo...

you're probably more likely to get a weekly show at the Flamingo but Ivory's is a much better bar (they're right next door to each other)

actually, you could also check the Doors pub at the corner of Hess and Main St.

cheers, good luck

I have an idea - lets throw some money in a pot and buy out polos or something - create a "Frontier Festival" at Hess or have a "Jamband Festval" all would run for 1 week at least - Think about it D.J party or Live music party?????

quote:

Originally posted by paisley:

well The Smoothies play predominantly covers so my first recommendation would be Ivory's and if that doesn't work maybe try the Lazy Flamingo...

you're probably more likely to get a weekly show at the Flamingo but Ivory's is a much better bar (they're right next door to each other)

Of course, getting a gig at The Lazy Flamingo means working for Jim Skarratt, who will dick you around every which way possible - including barring you from playing in any other establishment in the Village.

Fuck you, Jim Skarratt!! [Mad] (hmmm, that sounds familiar... did someone say that already?)

Archived