Jambands.ca

Half-assed 'moment in a show' review

AD

Well....... went to Montreal last night to see Ray LaMontagne, the show was very good although he had a cold. He kinda woke up and actually talked to the audience in the encore. Show was in Outremont, probably the nicest neighbourhood I've been to in a long time. Gorgeous old houses, restaurants, and the show was in a very nice (seated) theatre. Also witnessed one of the ballsy-est moments in my many many years of seeing shows. The girl who opened the show (Brandi Carslyle), I had never heard of her, nor had anyone else in the theatre it seemed. She was good, funny, solid songs. Then it comes to her last song of the evening. (Remember she's a young American girl, her first time to Montreal and Canada). She absolutely NAILS Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen (Buckley arrangement) in his backyard. NAILS it. Jaws dropped throughout the theatre, and there was a stunned silence for at least 3 seconds when she finished. Standing ovation. Incredible.

AD

Thanks for sharing that.

It's these little moments that show how powerful a good song and inspired musician can be.

Made me all tingly feeling when reading it.

Luc Doucet opened for Chantal Kreviazuk (I know I know) in Guelph at the River Run Centre years ago and left me feeling awe struck in a similar way as he moved through his own tunes. Haunting unexpected coolness is good.

Deeps

This long lane stretches back for an eternity. And the long lane out there, that is another eternity. They contradict each other, these paths; they offend each other face to face; and it is here at this gateway that they come together. The name of the gateway is inscribed above: 'Moment.'