Jambands.ca

Ottawa Emergency Rooms

AD

Heyo... Nothing serious but I have to go to the emergency room at the hospital tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone has experience about which hospital is best, and if anyone knows what time of day I can expect the shortest wait. I'll probably need x-rays so if that helps out for any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

AD

went to ste-sauveur, north of montreal, they had 8 runs open off 2 lifts. a little icy, but that's to be expected.

i just called the carleton sports medicine clinic and was told that they do not have xray machines. that was my first choice too.

gonna go to emerg tonight. }:(

ad

Sorry to hear about this, and I hope you're ok (I cracked a couple of ribs years back, and ended up with a fever of 104 and a couple of days of interesting but on the whole unenjoyable hallucinations).

When CJ had her accident a little while ago, we went to emerg in Winchester, and didn't have to wait more than half an hour. Maybe we were just lucky, but it could be worth the drive.

Would it be worth phoning around before you go in? Come up with a list of ERs you'd consider visiting (closest first, maybe), then call each of them up, explain your situation, and ask how long expected wait is, then decide which would be the best.

Aloha,

Brad

Unfortunately, going to the ER will do nothing but waste your time and make you angry. There is nothing that the DRs and nurses can do for you if you break your ribs, just give you and antiinflamatory(like extra strength Advil), maybe give you an x-ray (they might not because there is really nothing they can do even if some of your ribs are broken) and send you on your way. It will just piss you off in the end, because you'll wait around for a whole lot of nothin'. Your best bet is to go to an urgent care clinic when they open. They can always refer you to an x-ray clinic, and they can give you a Rx for pain meds if extra-strength Advil is not enough. I am in the medical profession and know how this works, so good luck! By the way, you can take 2 Tylenol(acetominophen) and 1 Advil(ibuprofen) together every 4 hours for the pain, it is safe. Also, you can apply cold packs to the area. AND remember to hold your ribs for counter-pressure when you cough to prevent any further damaage and for comfort. AND take it easy for a while!

hey, thanks for that bit of advice. i swung by emerg on my way home from work and they said the exact same thing, before i started to wait. so i'm gonna go to a regular clinic tonight where the wait is normally about half an hour to get some advice (and to see how long i should take it easy). plus i can get a flu shot at the same time.

thanks

ad