Jambands.ca

Stupid Courtney Love

AD

What would Kurt have spent it on?

Irrelevant, IMO. Kurt earned it, I think it should go straight into a trust fund for Frances. Courtney has her own money. Or at least she did.

I've always hated Courtney Love. Probably not going to get a very level-headed argument from me on this one. :)

AD

i like courtney love. she fascinates me.

all nirvana $$$$ does go into a trust fund for frances. courtney has said many times she doesn't spend any of it. and i know she sued some manager or something like that for dipping into that fund. so who knows what happened with that.

i don't know how i feel about this. martha stewart is the last person i'd want with control over nirvana music. but 140 million is an awful lot of money and that would be a nice hunk for frances if some of her trust fund has been depleted (and seeing as frances is a high society private school, equestrian type, her lifestyle is probably already pretty expensive). and it's not like she's selling the whole catalogue this is only 1/4 of it, and knowing courtney there will likely be HUGE stipulations on how & when it can be used. i.e. maybe courtney has final say & only has to give martha 1/4 of the profits of whatever courtney decides to use it for (as opposed to martha actually owning certain songs). i don't mind courtney being in control of it... she knew kurt better than anyone, and she has been pretty smart with how, when & where nirvana music is used thus far. her business decisions regarding the nirvana catalogue have been better than what dave & krist would have done with it (in my opinion anyway).

having said all that, i hope she doesn't actually do this.... it's only been 11 years since kurt passed away. if she's going to sell rights to any of it, ever, she should hold off a bit longer. look how much paul mccartney is kicking himself for the michael jackson sale...

Sorry, quotes aren't working right. But...

all nirvana $$$$ does go into a trust fund for frances.

So... Courtney sold the trust fund? I don't follow.

courtney has said many times she doesn't spend any of it.
that would be a nice hunk for frances if some of her trust fund has been depleted

Well, either Courtney hasn't touched it or she has and it's depleted... (How would a manager have access to a trust fund for a child?)

knowing courtney there will likely be HUGE stipulations on how & when it can be used. i.e. maybe courtney has final say & only has to give martha 1/4 of the profits of whatever courtney decides to use it for (as opposed to martha actually owning certain songs). i don't mind courtney being in control of it...

I thought a sale meant that the buyer 'bought' the item for sale. Is a limited-use sale like speculated even possible? Would that be more like licensing?

her business decisions regarding the nirvana catalogue have been better than what dave & krist would have done with it (in my opinion anyway).

We'll never know, they never had a chance. I think Dave Grohl has a pretty good head on his shoulders, what with his multi-talents, multi-platinum headliner band. Krist seems like a goof though. (Not to mention Grohl and Krist actually performed, recorded, and probably wrote a lot of the material.)

Seems very confusing, the whole 'who owns the intellectual property' thing. Also be interesting to see what specifically Courtney actually sold, might help with understanding the ownership, value, etc...

Also be interesting to see if the story is actually true. :)

I just hope that a) Courtney doesn't use the money for crappy things B) Frances gets all of it and c) Martha Stewart doesn't bastardize the Nirvana catalog.

AD

hi, ad! ;)

no, courtney didn't sell the trust fund. i was just commenting on this: "I think it should go straight into a trust fund for Frances"

it does... or at least it's supposed to

"Well, either Courtney hasn't touched it or she has and it's depleted... (How would a manager have access to a trust fund for a child?)"

if you hire people to be in charge of your money they can probably scam access to it somehow. for example, skimming off what has been deposited. faking withdrawls. (things like frances' schooling & horse riding lessons & stuff probably come out of that fund)

"I thought a sale meant that the buyer 'bought' the item for sale. Is a limited-use sale like speculated even possible? Would that be more like licensing?"

when you sell a song catalogue, you're basically selling the licensing rights, aren't you? that article said she was going to sell 1/4 of it, but didn't go into detail as to exactly what that 1/4 meant. is it literally 1/4 of the catalogue, as in owning the rights to specific songs, or is it 1/4 of future nirvana generated profit? how would profit on that work in instances where one song was part of a collection of songs? i was just sort of guessing on what this 1/4 might mean. courtney is very stingy with kurt's music, IF this is true at all (which i truly hope it's not), she is probably going to do it in a smart way where she may have some control over it.

"We'll never know, they never had a chance. I think Dave Grohl has a pretty good head on his shoulders, what with his multi-talents, multi-platinum headliner band. Krist seems like a goof though. (Not to mention Grohl and Krist actually performed, recorded, and probably wrote a lot of the material.)"

bleaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, i hate the foo fighters, they annoy the fricken crap outta me. :) britney spears and faith hill and the freaking new kids on the block have had just as much commercial success (and probably a lot more) than the foo fighters & i wouldn't put a good head on any of them. but this is of course just a difference of opinion, matter of taste, whatever.

my sister met dave grohl in person & said he's a fucking ASS.

(dude's an awesome drummer though, i'll give him that. :) )

kurt almost exclusively wrote all the nirvana songs. and dave grohl didn't even join the band until nevermind -- many, many of their songs were written long before they even met dave grohl. kurt is the one who would come up with the songs & sometimes in recording sessions he'd let dave & krist add things to them (from what i've read at least).

i know a few years ago, dave & krist were in a huge legal battle with courtney over release of the box set. i am SO glad she won. they wanted to release it right away. she wanted to wait. i think it had a lot more impact later on that it would have so early in the game. (i think this was back in '97)

in any case.... i agree with you, in that i hope it isn't true, and of course that if it is, she doesn't spend it on stupid things. if interviews she's given over the years are any indication, she very firmly believes that nirvana money belongs to FRANCES and frances only, so i can't really see her personally going out of her way to waste it. i hope. she's not the most predictable creature.

Good points, I hope she sticks to her word as well. Not too sure about the details of the sale / licensing thing, waiting for a more thorough news source to pick up this story.. or refute it. I can't stand the Foo Fighters either. :)

AD

Kurt wrote and sang the songs, but you can't dismiss the band dynamic. Nirvana was a more powerful band with Dave drumming and Krist was Kurt's aggressive equal on stage. He was a fine bass player too.

Nirvana just wasn't Nirvana after Chad Channing left. I stopped going to see them altogether after that.

kurt almost exclusively wrote all the nirvana songs. and dave grohl didn't even join the band until nevermind -- many, many of their songs were written long before they even met dave grohl. kurt is the one who would come up with the songs & sometimes in recording sessions he'd let dave & krist add things to them (from what i've read at least).

were you reading Heavier then Heaven?

a amazing book if you are at all interested in Kurt Cobain..

i get the feeling from reading it that the courtney vs krist/dave were at odds for kurts time.. all the time..

and like any relationship.. jealousy is common.. both sides of kurt being pulled at one time..

his WANTING to be adored all the time was his own downfall..

the love of courtney... no pun intended..

the love of fame.. even though he would deny his enjoyment of fame..

personally im not a courtney love fan..

but i respect her slightly more after that book..

and slightly creeped out by hr more..

i don't remember exactly where i read that -- i love nirvana (and by "nirvana" i mean "kurt cobain" :) ) even more than ween, and i've read quite a number of things on them (books, countless magazine articles & interviews, anything i come across), that's it hard to keep track of exactly where i've come across certain pieces of information. heavier than heaven is one of my favourite books of all time. it's so well done. you can tell charles cross loved him.

i highly, highly recommend that book.

Agreed Mr Cross did a fantastic job of the biography of Kurt..

the one specific passage that will stick with me for life

when Cross is explaining a home video of the cobains...

apparently Kurt is giving Frances a bath in their bathroom and Courtney is filming the tender moment..

Kurt and Frances are laughing and playing together like a "normal" father dotting over his baby girl..

as Courthey pans across the room.. Cross describes everything as undescribably NORMAL..

except for one thing..

the Heroin needle in the toothbrush holder..

to me that speaks volumes to THEIR problems..

i was completely surprised that it was not Courthey that got Kurt into the Heroin..

Kurt did it 2 years befor they met..