Jambands.ca

Back from SPAC!!!

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Just got back...

Too tired to really review it right now, but suffice to say that for a first Dead show, I was very impressed.

The one thing that really stands out is Joan Osbourne. One word: WOW. I really hope she's full time with the band now because she was incredible. Great voice, great energy, and great to look at.

The setlist was pretty incredible too. I don't know the exact order of things, but I got some of my favorite tunes: Mr. Charlie, Dear Mr. Fantasy (w/Winwood), Drums-> Eyes of the World, The Other One, a CRAZY Sugar Magnolia, too much to remember.

Oh yeah, and Mike Gordon snuck in a bass duet with Phil during Drums->Eyes. [smile]

I smell, I'm tired, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, and I'm rambling, so bye for now. [Cool]

Couldn't agree more...What a show!!!!

Here's the setlist:

Set I: Here Comes Sunshine > Jam > El Paso > Staggerlee, Dear Mr. Fantasy ( Winwood on Guitar) >Baba Jingo(Winwood on organ) , Looks like Rain (Bobby Acoustic), Mr Charlie > Lovelight

Set II: China Cat > New Potato Caboose > Rider > Drums > Dualing Bass ( w/ mike gordon, joan chatter monkey) Space > Eyes > He's Gone > Cryptical > The Other One > Cryptical, Ripple, Sugar Mags

Donor Rap

E: And We BId you Goodnight

Can't talk now, gotta listen to it.

SPAC 6/20/03

New Potato Caboose

You gotta believe!

By the way, Joan Osbourne fuggin gives her all, and is a decent addition to that band, no matter what anyone says. She stole the show during a few moments.

(I had to edit a bit of what I had said, after thinking about it some more)

(Been thinking about this one for a bit, please bare with me)

Getting back to Joan, I know some people arent going to like it. I can agree, in that it leaves little room for Rob. Take it or leave it, I would leave it. She did floor us a few times, but that isnt necessarily enough. The harmonies are REALLY nice though. I did enjoy her, in the end. Get prepared for that dancing stuff though, I can see that being an issue for people as well. Looks like she has a thing for Phil as well [Wink]

Since she is there, enjoy it for what it is, and not what it isnt.

By the way, Vermont Dave has TWO Nero stories from SPAC.

The second one, as we were leaving, this girl runs up to him and says "Can I see the front of your shirt?"

So, of course he shows her his Nero shirt, and she says "OOOOOH! I LOVE THAT BAND! I'm from Toronto"

So, we get to talking, and within 30 seconds, she tells us she is Phunky B!!!!!!!!!!!

Great way to meet someone!

Anyways, Phunky B has her sights set on Joan, and is currently on tour with them. Lets wish her the best of luck...........................

I will let VD tell the other story.

Wow, that's good timing. I just turned on my computer to check this here site and get an intro from Booche!

Meeting Phunky B was cool, if not brief, but I think she was heading to Hartford and was on the move.

The other cool Nero thing that happened was while walking past some vendors, a girl who was selling jewelry taps the front of my shirt and says, "That band is the effing bomb! The effing Bomb!" She said she was from Rochester! Good job Nero you da effin Bomb!

Once again it was great seeing all the folks that made it down and hopefully I'll be up that way soon

Peace

Alright, before we review El Paso, we need to step back about 4 hours.

We are on the I-87, and somehow, I have enticed Dr Hux (resident Bob Weir lover), into saying:

"NO ONE takes a leak during a Bob tune"

Well, Booby avec El Paso starts up and I know part of our group probably needs to leak, having just been 'stubbed down' during Here Comes Sunshine. I am holding one of the 2 tickets stubs we have (and there are almost ten of us in the pavillion, courtesy of DogAtTheStation's stubs).

You need the stub to get back in from the washroom, so I look around, and to my left, is the Hux.

As I put the stub in his hand, I say:

"Dude, do you need to take a leak?"

BAMMO!

He grabs the stub, takes 3 steps, turns around and says "NO ONE hears about this!"

Well, Bobby had the acoustic out for the El Paso, and it was pretty enough for those that like El Paso. Jimmy Herring kept that one interesting (as he did for most of the night).

Had I had to leak, I would have pissed...........

next up:

Stagger Lee

So, there is an obvious break in the music, whereby you KNOW something is going down. Winwood is coming onstage with a guitar, and everyone is figuring their shit out. Bob says something about us having to bare with it, cause "this one is going to be bitchin!"

Things came full circle for me. The wheel was in effect. I had seen it done before, at my first show, and I had also seen Jerry and Mickey join Traffic in 94 at Giants, blarring this tune. I really didnt think I would ever see it again by anyone aside from the Mule or DSO, where I would just smile and sway.

By the way, ever hear the earliest versions of Fantasy where Jerry sings lead instead of Brent?

Really cooooool...............

Anyways, Bobby was right. Winwood was roaring! Jimmy and Bob let him go off. No need to bring up the vocals, cause it was Winwood singing. Biggest amount of energy in the first set, to this point (and close to as big as it got). My only complaint, was Phil being almost inaudible, and the sound being a tad muddy over-all. Actually, the whole set contained Phil issues on bass, and I was a bitchin!

Nice transition to the next tune, and Winwood put down his guitar, to take up the organ.

next up:

> Baba Jingo (forgive possible spelling errors)

"If you read between the lines, you'll see that even Booche agrees... to say that she is a "decent addition" is a gross understatement"

Hey, I re-worded what I had originally written. Joan is a Superstar, aint no denying that. I think the question is, "Does the Dead need her?"

(I am probably bitter, because Warren Haynes aint there)

I am just preparing some of the Heads for what they are going to see. Its culture-shock, and there aint no denying that. I really enjoyed her, but not everyone will.

MAN!! i saw one of those weird scooters on letterman, the same nit dead played. dave was sayin it was lame, where are you gonna that damn thing,,,,,,, maybe at a dead show lol

joan sounds good to me but i know ppl that have given away their tickets cuz they think she reeks that bad.

anyways, killer reviews, looks and sounds like a sweeet show

I was ready to give up on the Dead. I've seen the Other Ones a couple of times and have been less than impressed, but mark my words...

This is a band with a renewed sense of purpose.

Just look at that setlist!

Joan Osborne is an f'n SUPERSTAR! She has breathed new life into this band. (If you read between the lines, you'll see that even Booche agrees... to say that she is a "decent addition" is a gross understatement) She owned the stage and was all the talk in the lot after the show.

The Windwood set included 40,000 Headmen (Traffic), Can't Find My Way Home (Blind Faith) and Voodoo Chile. He tore it up on lead guitar during Fantasy and switched over to organ for Baba Jingo.

Just before the 2nd set there was a surreal moment where Gordo crossed the front of the stage on one of these! Sure enough, our eyes weren't lying... we watched the standhands set up a rig, and he joined Phil for a massive bass duel following Drumz (which also featured Windwood's drummer and percussionist... yes, 4 drummers on stage with Mickey on beam!)

Great show. I bought a Traffic t-shirt [big Grin]

SPAC was fucking great!!! The 2nd set Eyes > He's Gone > Cryptical > Other One > Cryptical was worth the trip all by itself. Hell, Phil dropping the bomb on The Other One was worth it. Steve Winwood ripping it up all over the first set, first on guitar on Dear Mr. Fantasy, then on keys for a surprisingly hot Baba Jingo, was the MVP of set one.

Saw Hartford as well. It was good but the energy level didn't rise to that of SPAC. Of course a bunch of reviews I've read on the philzone say the exact opposite. One man gathers what another man spills, eh?

Wish I could have hooked up with you guys but I didn't see the hourly meeting message until I got back. I did manage to spy one Ottawa peep amongst the crowd at least.

Dr. Hux, can I bring over my cd burner when you get the soundboard in? [big Grin]

Great Show!!!!!!!!

Lot's of highlights from the whole adventure - but musically, the He's Gone->Cryptical was my fav. moment.

Nobody on that stage or off could make Phil and Bobby sound that good on We Bid You Goodnight - Go Joan!!!

Archived