Jambands.ca

Does this disturb anyone else?

\/\/illy

Second-oldest convict in U.S. is executed

Last Updated Tue, 17 Jan 2006 05:37:17 EST

CBC News

California executed a 76-year-old legally blind, nearly deaf man convicted of arranging a triple murder 25 years ago to silence witnesses in another killing.

Clarence Ray Allen was pronounced dead by lethal injection shortly after midnight at San Quentin State Prison.

His lawyers sought to have the capital punishment stayed by arguing that executing a wheel-chair bound frail old man would violate the U.S. Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment. They also argued that the 23 years he spent on death row were unconstitutionally cruel.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the California Supreme Court and a federal appeals court previously refused to spare Allen's life. There is no upper age limit or exceptions on the basis of physical infirmity for executions.

Allen was convicted of having his teenage son's girlfriend murdered for fear she would tell police about a grocery-store burglary he had committed in 1974. While behind bars, he tried to arrange for the deaths of eight other witnesses in the case, prosecutors said.

His intention was to gain a retrial, which he believed he could win if there were no witnesses alive. He hired a hit man and three people were killed in that conspiracy. He was sentenced to death in 1982 for that crime.

In September, the elderly convict's heart stopped, but prison doctors were able to revive him and return him to San Quentin Prison's death row.

Allen was the second oldest U.S. inmate to be put to death nationally since the U.S. Supreme Court allowed capital punishment to resume in 1976. Last month in Mississippi, John B. Nixon, 77, became the oldest person executed in the U.S.

i think rather it boils down to a legal issue. if they didn't revive the guy they would have technically 'euthanized' him. normally, if a person's heart stops beating and there is the means to kick it back into gear, the means to kick it back into gear are taken. i don't think it especially cruel. i think they did what they had to do.

wow, Sari...that was a tremendously disturbing website!!!

stanley "tookie" williams, california, december 13, 2005

the menu:

nothing but oatmeal and milk all day, refusing the privilege of a special last meal

i didn't spend too much time poking around....really creepy stuff on there....but what I did learn at a glance was that WAAAYYYY more people are executed than I thought. For some reason I was under the assumption that most death penalty convictions did end in old age on death row.

now to Willy's question: I don't think a person's age should soften us towards the crimes he committed. I don't find it disturbing. As long as he is/was not of 'diminshed capacity' or developmentally challenged, as long as his trial was fair...then I agree with the punishment, regardless of his age and how long it took to get around to it.

However, while I still am fairly PRO on the death-penalty issue, I have learned that there is a disproportional number of poor and/or black and/or retarded folks on death row in the US. So it is hard to really know if someone gets a fair shake.

if the guy had signed a DNR i do think that they'd have to abide by it.

if he hadn't signed a DNR i don't think they could choose to not save him, because what if he would've been given a stay of execution? or done something in court to get off of death row? then he'd be dead cause someone said "well jeb, we'rea gunna killem in 2 months enywayz, let em be"

Sounds to be like he was a pretty horrible son of a bitch. If we only went back to public hangings we could avoid all this. No one would have posted this if it was about a 45 year old killer who had just killed a handful of people. We need quicker justice without so many lawyers. That way we can quickly execute the law on the rich and poor alike.

Having suffered a heart attack back in September, Allen had asked prison authorities to let him die if he went into cardiac arrest before his execution, a request prison officials said they would not honor.

[color:red]At no point are we not going to value the sanctity of life," said prison spokesman Vernell Crittendon. "We would resuscitate him," then execute him.

Holy Shit

Updated Story On CNN