Jambands.ca

bonnaroo promoted on MTV

slouchy

Just heard from a friend that Bonnaroo is being promoted on MTV!

Wouldn't be surprised to see Metallica as next year's headliner.

Yikes!

Although some acts are great, I never thought it would go so sell-out.

Man am I glad I went back in 03'

good thing i won't run into you in the campground then, i'm glad all the people with the bad attitudes about this are staying home and leaving the fun for me.

for the record: i would love it if metallica was the headliner. or maybe you wanted to mention a talent-less band of hacks to go along with your other points? i dunno. metallica is the shit. in a good way. back when they were good. before they got hair-styled.

ad

I agree, Metallica was great back in the day.

Till they sold out!

hmmmm, will the same thing happen to Bonnaroo?

Enjoy the show. It will be fun no doubt. It's just something I thought would never happen.

definitely a great experience I will give you that. Just sad to hear that a great festie like this in the first year (and most other years) sold out by word of mouth (fans going to fave bands websites and learning of this great event)and now the promoters are having MTV do some dirty work as well. I guess they have to when they have bands like Radiohead and Tom Petty.

Not that there's anything wrong w/ Radiohead/Tom Petty.

Not really complaining, just trying to share the news with some fellow skanks.

Just sad to hear that a great festie like this in the first year (and most other years) sold out by word of mouth (fans going to fave bands websites and learning of this great event)and now the promoters are having MTV do some dirty work as well. I guess they have to when they have bands like Radiohead and Tom Petty.

Not necessarily. My guess is that Bonaroo let MTV know about all the previous festivals (probably via a PR firm, with contacts all through the music industry), and this is the first year that MTV actually picked up the release and put it on the air.

Aloha,

Brad

Hey...

I don't know...

I'm starting to get very frustrated by people who seem personally offended (not that anyone in THIS thread did) when something they like evolves.

Enjoying something is not the same as owning it.

I've felt this way about reactions to post-hiatus Phish, Trey, the Dead...am I alone here? Enjoy the ride, people. It'll be over too soon anyway.

Jef

P.s.-I'm extremely excited about Bonnaroo '06

I find it kind of ironic that a former "jamband" festival be accused of selling out. As far as I'm concerned, jambands have been among the most market-savvy, well-merchandised and promoted genres out there. Look at the Dead. I mean they set the standard in marketing, and Phish did pretty damn well at it themselves. Just because their avenue of marketing/promo wasn't the standard one doesn't mean they shied away from it at all, IMO.

nice jaydawg. i saw the pics up on the evolvefest site and saw someone making heady vegan burritos in their travel wok....who needs some stinking trip to the south?

and i can't believe you kids are doing this AGAIN. can we settle this whole "who hates bonaroo now that they've jumped the shark" fight with a nice good old fashioned poll? i know cully likes polls. hehehe

Not to burst anyone's bubble but Bankaroo has always been sponsored by clear-channel, and the hippie mafia. It sold out from day one. It's a huge money maker and a good time taboot. Needless to say, one cannot attend Bonnaroo and claim to be a concious consumer, but, what are you going to do? I'd rather see the bands I love making a little money here and there. Maybe playing bigger venues. Maybe Canada?