Jambands.ca

werd...................................(s)

Calamity Jane

you just reminded me of this GREAT story...hope it's new for you.

[aside: I LOVE goooogle...found it just by typing in "gruntled" and "wife"]

How I met my Wife

by Jack Winter

Published 25 July 1994 - The New Yorker

It had been a rough day, so when I walked into the party I was very chalant, despite my efforts to appear gruntled and consolate.

I was furling my wieldy umbrella for the coat check when I saw her standing alone in a corner. She was a descript person, a woman in a state of total array . Her hair was kempt , her clothing shevelled , and she moved in a gainly way.

I wanted desperately to meet her, but I knew I'd have to make bones about it since I was travelling cognito. Beknownst to me, the hostess, whom I could see both hide and hair of, was very proper, so it would be skin off my nose if anything bad happened. And even though I had only swerving loyalty to her, my manners couldn't be peccable. Only toward and heard-of behavior would do.

Fortunately, the embarrassment that my maculate appearance might cause was evitable. There were two ways about it, but the chances that someone as flappable as I would be ept enough to become persona grata or a sung hero were slim. I was, after all, something to sneeze at, someone you could easily hold a candle to, someone who usually aroused bridled passion.

So I decided not to risk it. But then, all at once, for some apparent reason, she looked in my direction and smiled in a way that I could make heads and tails of.

I was plussed. It was concerting to see that she was communicado, and it nerved me that she was interested in a pareil like me, sight seen. Normally, I had a domitable spirit, but, being corrigible, I felt capacitated -- as if this were something I was great shakes at -- and forgot that I had succeeded in situations like this only a told number of times. So, after a terminable delay, I acted with mitigated gall and made my way through the ruly crowd with strong givings.

Nevertheless, since this was all new hat to me and I had no time to prepare a promptu speech, I was petuous. Wanting to make only called-for remarks, I started talking about the hors d'oeuvres, trying to abuse her of the notion that I was sipid, and perhaps even bunk a few myths about myself.

She responded well, and I was mayed that she considered me a savory character who was up to some good. She told me who she was. "What a perfect nomer," I said, advertently. The conversation become more and more choate, and we spoke at length to much avail. But I was defatigable, so I had to leave at a godly hour. I asked if she wanted to come with me. To my delight, she was committal. We left the party together and have been together ever since. I have given her my love, and she has requited it.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

A friend of mine put together a dictionary of made-up words we used in our youth. Most of them wouldn't make sense to you folks as their mostly inside jokes, but here's a small selection:

alumnot 1. n. anyone who has some post secondary education, but has not completed a degree. (usually applied to someone who wishes to do so)

antacid 1. n. the antidote for an acid trip (yet to be discovered)

bank (bankable) 1. n. any steep grassy incline directly adjacent to the entrance to one's pad 2. v. to dispose of something by hurling it over the bank to the grassy wilderness below, as in “Hey Bob, what should I do with the bug arena?" -- "Bank it.†3. adj. (bankable) a description of any object too fetid or malodorous to be disposed of in the garbage can.

buttoxen 1. n. the plural of buttocks

cockshy 1. adj. the bashfulness or embarrassment resulting from anything regarding one's penis

cross-corner chicken wing 1. n. a type of pool shot in which a ball in sunk in a corner pocket after bouncing off the opposite long rail

cross-face chicken wing 1. n. a type of pool shot in which a ball is sunk in a side pocket after bouncing off the opposite rail.

crumpet-fed 1. adj. of or pertaining to a person of substantial girth hailing from England. 2. n. a person of substantial girth hailing from England.

flavour island 1. n. any place where something delicious can be savoured

gutterhog 1. n. a female possessing in whole or in part the following characteristics: sexual promiscuity, tight fitting jeans, amply applied make-up, trailer-park hair.

kept 1. adj. describes an object which has been appropriated without permission and will prove to be extraordinarily difficult to re-obtain.

lesbians 1. n. a pair of spectacles with ovular lenses with the long diameter of the oval along the horizontal.

meatlock 1. n a type of pool shot where one shoots the cue ball the length of the table, hitting another ball off the far rail in such a fashion that it goes into the corner pocket that is in the opposite direction of the path of the cue ball.

no potatoes 1. exclamation. a mournful cry lamenting something gone awry. Said with an accent in imitation of a small Irish lad during the potato famine. Its use has since expanded to suit any sad situation, usually not even potato-related.

plip-plip 1. n. the small pool of water collected in the curvature of an overturned mug after running the dishwasher 2. v. to dab with a dishtowel, the water collected in the curvature of an overturned mug after running the dishwasher

puppyskunk 1. n. any initially unidentified four legged earth-bound animal smaller than a breadbox, usually viewed at night

rugby thighs 1. n. the thick athletic thighs that are attained from involvement in sport 2. n. a generic name for any unknown athletic person -- as in "ol' rugby thighs"

Scouie 1. n. a general name for any pet when the real name is not known, or remembered, or enjoyed.

stump the limey 1. n. a game in which the participants bone up on some piece of literary minutia, enter a bookstore in which the shopkeep is British, and subtly attempt to stump her with said trivia.

uncle phil 1. n any pool shot which results in more than one ball being sunk. Coined after the classic Fresh Prince episode where Uncle Phil breaks out 'Lucille' and proceeds to play astoundingly good pool, with many of his shots sinking all of the balls on the table.

Whitey McWhite 1. n. proper name for somebody who emanates a strong sense of whiteness. The word saw extensive use in and around Calgary. Popular variations include Wheaty Wheatfield.

Edited by Guest

Has anyone heard that skit, it's by radio free vesibule and it's called Bulbous buffont??(sp) it's sooooooo funny :D hehe... bulbous.

:D !! I've used that in ESL classes for a couple of years now (don't ask how :P - it's just such a cool musical use of prosaic language to play for a class).

Ooooo! Macadamia!

I've lost a lot of time trying to find an online stream of it.

Bus!