Jambands.ca

Where are our musical heroes of tommorow?

The Chameleon

Word. My behaviour makes it easy to forget that I've got a brain. :)

Haha, I just remembered something kinda funny. There was a hip hop group from the Esplanade in Toronto called High Plains Drifter, not to metion the song. How's that for breaking new ground Cham?

I actually like your band's music so no serious offence intended, only mild offence.

Edited by Guest

We agree on one thing: [color:red]The Booty is the VORTEX!!!!

334009-resized200.JPG

Also my band is the Chameleon Project and I make guest apperance's in Jaydawg's Highplain's Drifter. I will be guesting on guitar this Friday at his B-Day.

P.S. i am very proud of my not influenced by rock band. (although anyone born after 1940 is influenced by rock weatehr they know it or not)

Edited by Guest

I mean can you imagine if the Rolling Stones were a newer band in this millenium? They would never have made it past album number two or three at most. Now a days, there is no thought in the music biz of developing acts and staying with them through a mediocre selling album or two. In the Stones case thier record company would have dropped them right after Exile on Mainstreet, when Goats Head Soup, sold considerably less. In doing so the record company would never have fostered the culture and the band that exists today in the Rolling Stones.

Small point maybe but I think the Stones had already staked a very sizeable claim to music history by the time Exile had been released. I think a better analogy would have been dropping them after Their Satanic Majesties Request.

But I get your point. I'm just being a nerd.

I mean can you imagine if the Rolling Stones were a newer band in this millenium? They would never have made it past album number two or three at most. Now a days' date=' there is no thought in the music biz of developing acts and staying with them through a mediocre selling album or two. In the Stones case thier record company would have dropped them right after Exile on Mainstreet, when Goats Head Soup, sold considerably less. In doing so the record company would never have fostered the culture and the band that exists today in the Rolling Stones.[/quote']

Small point maybe but I think the Stones had already staked a very sizeable claim to music history by the time Exile had been released. I think a better analogy would have been dropping them after Their Satanic Majesties Request.

But I get your point. I'm just being a nerd.

The Stones are too talented to be muted after only an album or two. There's so many labels around today that a band like The Stones would easily sign a recording contract.

At the same time, I'm sure there's old influential bands that never had success during their era that would get signed and find critical and commercial success today.

I almost 40 -n- if it was'nt for luck, (a cool Brother-In-Law moving into our town) I would still think the old school rock and roll was the only music worth listening too. It is sad that you really need to research in order to find good new music. If it was'nt for the internet/Archive, I would'nt be listening to music today. I wonder if the 'good' music will ever get into or be appreciated by a larger audience?

I don't think so. I think of it like this: if you can rate music (or movies, or art, even food, or anything aesthetic) on a scale of 0 to 100, based on how complex it is, how challenging it is (which includes how rewarding it is) or how much effort is required to enjoy it, or how much attention you have to pay to it, etc., I bet you'd find that 80% of the people out there don't want higher than a 20. The other 20% do want stuff from 80 - 100. (These numbers are similar to Sturgeon's Law: if 90% of everything is crud, then 10% is golden.)

Aloha,

Brad

Just as a follow-on to my 80/20 thing, above, I think I know why it holds: most people are very interested (consciously or not) in maintaining safety, in the form of consistency or the familiar. (Someone once said that the thing that McDonald's restaurants offers is not so much food, but a consistent food exerpience, any place, any time.)

In musical terms, a lot of bands offer the experience of "the new", or of something surprising, or even scary, and most people can't handle this. Instead, they want music they know, that they're comfortable with, and which doesn't challenge any of their preconceptions of how things are.

And I'm not sure there's anything inherently wrong with that.

Aloha,

Brad

I.M.O. There is a lot of electronic music out there that will stand the test of time. Someone mentioned Amon Tobin on another thread, prime example. Electronic music remained underground for years, and it thrived there. Now that it is much more mainstream it continues to thrive. I went to a few larger parties back in the mid to late 90's. Cyrous, Pleasure Force, Kit Kat, I had a great time at them all. And everywhere I looked when I wasn't dancing there were people of all walks of life kicking it up at every party. Even the smaller parties that I atteneded were quite heady, and there was a definite sense of music moving in a different direction.

I listen to quite an aray of music, it's difficult to keep up with everything, musically or not. This world is moving at an unprecedented pace and if there's anything that will stand the test of time it will be music in a whole.

Stevie Wonder, Sir Duke

Music is a world within itself

With a language we all understand

With an equal opportunity

For all to sing, dance and clap their hands

But just because a record has a groove

Don’t make it in the groove

But you can tell right away at letter a

When the people start to move

They can feel it all over

They can feel it all over people

They can feel it all over