Jambands.ca

QOTD 2/13/06

scottieking

I figure tilting myself decisively away from the evangelical side of xtianity was one of the better acts of unselling-out that I've gotten myself through thus far in life. But it's true, what has been said above - there are people of faith out there, who base their faith more on inescapable mystery than authoritarian reflex, who are really remarkable people.

I don't think you've sold out. Mellowed out, maybe, but not sold out. To sell out is to go against (or set aside) your stated ideals solely for personal (typically monetary) gain.

Are you happy? Are you healthy? Do the things in your life give you what you want and need, and do you give back the things that those around you need? If you can answer "yes" to those questions, without being a hypocrite in thought or deed, then you haven't sold out.

If you think you've sold out because you said in the past that you always wanted to be a bandito and ride the snake, but aren't living that life now, well, that's not selling out, it's just the result of youthful idealism (and rebellion) not being able to clearly see the future that you've ended up living. (This is part of what's referred to as "growing up.") If you've made each individual decision in your life (whom to marry, where to life, occupation, etc.) for the right reasons, then you haven't sold out.

Aloha,

Brad

Brad...that was beautifully and succinctly written!

Indeed....we may aquire more STUFF as we grow old "and get with the program" and we may begin to feel that we can't simply live the life of impulse we did in our youth...but that's not entirely true. It may be more difficult and painful to "pull up stakes" and do something radically different, but it's never impossible.

"Everybody's working for the weekend" ~ Loverboy :P

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ~Chili Davis

When I'm lyin' in my bed at night

I don't wanna grow up

Nothin' ever seems to turn out right

I don't wanna grow up

How do you move in a world of fog

That's always changing things

Makes me wish that I could be a dog

When I see the price that you pay

I don't wanna grow up

I don't ever wanna be that way

I don't wanna grow up

Seems like folks turn into things

That they'd never want

The only thing to live for

Is today...

I'm gonna put a hole in my TV set

I don't wanna grow up

Open up the medicine chest

And I don't wanna grow up

I don't wanna have to shout it out

I don't want my hair to fall out

I don't wanna be filled with doubt

I don't wanna be a good boy scout

I don't wanna have to learn to count

I don't wanna have the biggest amount

I don't wanna grow up

Well when I see my parents fight

I don't wanna grow up

They all go out and drinking all night

And I don't wanna grow up

I'd rather stay here in my room

Nothin' out there but sad and gloom

I don't wanna live in a big old Tomb

On Grand Street

When I see the 5 o'clock news

I don't wanna grow up

Comb their hair and shine their shoes

I don't wanna grow up

Stay around in my old hometown

I don't wanna put no money down

I don't wanna get me a big old loan

Work them fingers to the bone

I don't wanna float a broom

Fall in love and get married then boom

How the hell did I get here so soon

I don't wanna grow up

When I first started playing guitar I dreamt of playing gigs, lots and lots of gigs. I dreamt of playing the high school dance, I dreamt of playing on jingles, I dreamt of playing in coffee shops and airports and foodcourts. I especially dreamt of playing classic rock songs in bars. I even thought if I got good enough that maybe even teaching would be an option.

So I guess one could say I've wanted to sell out ever since I started playing, and since I've stayed true to my hopes and aspirations I've managed to not sell out by totally selling out.

I think.

Really, I don't think I've ever thought about it before.* Good question Mr. King.

*Aside from my mantra that self-indulgent playing must be the opposite of whatever selling out is.

Upon further review and soul searching, and thanks to the discussions and views put forward here, I am feeling better today. Certainly I don't feel like sold out is the proper term anymore (although, quite frankly, I was just trying to use the strongest term to gain the best reactions)

Upon further evaluation I believe that I have bought in more than I have sold out. Upon even further evaluation I realize that despite the fact that I am not naked bungy jumping in Nanaimo on a hit of microdot, I am lucky and have been lucky in gaining (and earning) both the success that I have and the experiences that I have gained.

The man with the magic hat it would seem still wanders somewhere. I am not he, but he is me. (this is also the chorus to a song that this crisis helped me write last night)

It seems like you've been thinking a lot Scottie!

Just remember you've had such a large plate to deal with in the past few years.

Surviving cancer, developing a beautiful relationship, teaching, running a business in the summer, (missing your sister - wink, wink),saving for the house, buying a house, dealing with the problems of a new house....moving in with lady...... WOW! Of course it's time to step back and say...HOLY FACK...can I be a kid again?

Sending you a great big hug.

The man with the magic hat it would seem still wanders somewhere. I am not he, but he is me. (this is also the chorus to a song that this crisis helped me write last night)

The man with the magic hat makes me think of Dr. Wu.

Dr. Wu by Steely Dan

Katy tried

I was halfway crucified

I was on the other side

Of no tomorrow

You walked in

And my life began again

Just when I'd spent the last piaster

I could borrow

All night long

We would sing that stupid song

And every word we sang