Jambands.ca

QOTD 2/13/06

scottieking

The day I took a job in the drill squad at Old Fort Henry in Kingston, for my $8.50 an hour (to be fair, I was only 20 at the time, and it was the only half-decent paying job I'd been able to find). Not only did it conflict radically with my anti-militarism of the time, but I put myself in a position of having to take orders from people that wished that they could really have been in the army barking orders at people. Pretty weird place.

I have to admit, though, I did enjoy firing the cannons :). I attribute that to my love of loud noises.

I think it happened today. This morning. Driving to work with the knowledge that I had indeed reached the point of my life were I have bought into it all (the car, the house, the "wife", the socially responsibile job), and therefore, sold out. At no time can I sanely pull out. The inner bandito is gone and any attempts I make to tap into the madness and ride the snake are mere insults to the magic hat that I used to so proudly sport.

Man, I wonder if my students know I'm having a small nervous breakdown at my desk here.

I don't think you've sold out. Mellowed out, maybe, but not sold out. To sell out is to go against (or set aside) your stated ideals solely for personal (typically monetary) gain.

Are you happy? Are you healthy? Do the things in your life give you what you want and need, and do you give back the things that those around you need? If you can answer "yes" to those questions, without being a hypocrite in thought or deed, then you haven't sold out.

If you think you've sold out because you said in the past that you always wanted to be a bandito and ride the snake, but aren't living that life now, well, that's not selling out, it's just the result of youthful idealism (and rebellion) not being able to clearly see the future that you've ended up living. (This is part of what's referred to as "growing up.") If you've made each individual decision in your life (whom to marry, where to life, occupation, etc.) for the right reasons, then you haven't sold out.

Aloha,

Brad

when i sold yak sweaters. actually they were musk ox sweaters. anyway, they *said* that they got the wool from their shedding, but eventually i came to believe that that was BS. partly because there was a musk ox head in the closet at the store. i think i called him stu...

also, they sold things with fox fur and toy rabbits with real rabbit fur. i'm not going to go spraypainting anybody but ICK. i had that job in exchange for a pittance of a wage but a lovely view of lake louise. :P

I got a BA in philosophy and the first job I took out of school was at a toy store. I was a shelving clerk (lasted 3 weeks) The best part of the job was the fact they wouldn't let me use the computerized cash register. The next job I took was as a conceirge at a very rich condo (last 5 months) I got fired from both jobs.

To this day, 5 years later, I have worked in 8 different call centres in a variety of industries. In that time, I have yet to hold a job for more than 6 months.

I will never sell out.

I think it happened today. This morning. Driving to work with the knowledge that I had indeed reached the point of my life were I have bought into it all (the car, the house, the "wife", the socially responsibile job), and therefore, sold out. At no time can I sanely pull out. The inner bandito is gone and any attempts I make to tap into the madness and ride the snake are mere insults to the magic hat that I used to so proudly sport.

Man, I wonder if my students know I'm having a small nervous breakdown at my desk here.

hey, if you need to go for a drink tonite, i'll be around. ;)

there's been a nagging part of me that's felt like a sell-out since i moved back to London w/ my job at Henry's... the longer i was in sales, the worse it got, and each time i got promoted it felt a little heavier - but lately, now that im not really "in sales", i've taken on a different perspective to my role - maybe it's denial, but i feel less and less like a sell-out now, in my current role - it's all about how i approach it, and the goals and objectives i set for myself. i keep telling myself that eventually im going to "return everything" and get on with what i really want to do, that this is a means to an end, but lets be honest, im really enjoying the lifestyle i am affording myself to live - i've managed to become moderately successful in my work without having to sacrifice most of who i am and what i like to do.

i think if i'm still here in 5 years, though, you can tatoo the bonafide sell-out label right on my forehead.

I got a BA in philosophy and the first job I took out of school was at a toy store. I was a shelving clerk (lasted 3 weeks) The best part of the job was the fact they wouldn't let me use the computerized cash register. The next job I took was as a conceirge at a very rich condo (last 5 months) I got fired from both jobs.

To this day, 5 years later, I have worked in 8 different call centres in a variety of industries. In that time, I have yet to hold a job for more than 6 months.

I will never sell out.

Couldn't you have just written "Non applicable"?

No, I wanted to share my related experience in the world of philosophy and its corresponding value in the work force. Also, I enjoy the idea that I spent 4 years of school studying philosophy but I wasn't trusted to operate a computer based cash register. Too complicated for me I guess.

I work in an office building, does that make me a sell out? What if steal stuff and dose people's waters?

Don't be discouraged. The only employers of mine who ever cared about my graduate degree in philosophy have been those who hired me to practice law. Before I had the law degree, I was generally called in to interviews just because the potential employer was curious about what a graduate degree in philosophy actually meant.

I know it seems harsh, but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath for someone to give much credence to a BA in philosophy as an indicator that you have practical skills. It certainly hasn't been my experience; even with the graduate degree under my belt.

(The good news, though, is that your philosophy training likely taught you to think clearer than many people, and should help you excel in unrelated professions; if you stay in a job for any length of time.)

Oh I already knew how usefull(useless) a BA was generally speaking. Philosophy, history, sociology, and all the other great unemployable Arts acedemia has to offer. In fact, I would sugest a BA in philosophy was an idicator of a lack of practical skills.

"How did this happen to me......?

10 million kids with degrees..."

- Run with the Kittens

I think that is changing. MBAs have become so prevalent, and the novel notion that those with BAs in things like the arts or philosophy might have interesting contributions has altered the landscape a bit. The financial magazines and economic sections of the papers have been full of this type of thing for years. Not to say that secondtube is screwed or anything -- I'm sure that he's not -- but that the trend right now is to discredit MBAs in favour of the arts. Even in business.

To answer the actual question:

When I was a wee bit younger, I was hospitalized after having suffered a 'stroke' (the controversy over whether a stroke was what happened continues).

Now, this former-junkie had always considered Jesus - the historical figure - as a philosopher of note, mostly because I could relate entirely to what he was going on about ... which I think is still most often completely misunderstood. Especially by those who call themselves Xians, and especially by those who rely on notions of 'saviour' or 'grace'. But I teased the fuck out of self-professed Christians, and argued constantly against notions of divinity.

Coming around to the idea of divinity was probably a matter of comfort, and probably a perfect example of selling out. But years later, I did. And have.

I've said before: God's role is not to explain, but to comfort.

I'm about as big a sellout as you'll find.