Jambands.ca

forced interventions...anyone know about this?

Blane

So, a minor crisis with some family members here and I'm trying to get some info. got a young relative with a pretty serious drug problem and her family just had her forcefully committed to a clinic. Her sister is here and basically coming to me for support, but I don't know much about these deals. Does anyone know of others' experiences with these situations? Are you able to visit them? Are they at all successful?

I feel like it was definately at the stage of "last resort" but it's still a tough thing to do.

I had a family member in rehap recently... but no one forced him to go. He kind of hit that brick wall - lost his job, his wife... it was pretty bad. I don't think it's something you can force on anyone, it's really up to them to make the decision. That way you'll know they're ready.

My family member went to Homewood in Guelph which seemed to be great actually. I was able to visit - but they tend to keep them very busy, so you'll have to find out when visiting hours are.

I found the whole experience to be a lot more positive then I had imagined. I thought he was basically going to jail and wouldn't be allowed to leave or see anyone. It wasn't like that at all... infact, they wanted him to experience the outside so that it wouldn't be so scary to face when he was finally released.

I hope everything works out Blane - in my own experience I've found it to be a great thing.

i know a guy whose parents forcibly committed him to a clinic when he was younger. it depends on the clinic i think as to whether you can visit or not. this particular one you could visit only on saturdays between one and four pm.

as for being successful, unfortunately for my guy, it wasn't. but i really do think that depends on the person and how strong they really are, and how much they want to get themselves cleaned up. it always does. my guy is in jail right now, which it is the brutalist of alternatives, but at least is keeping him from doing anything stupid (which he was famous for).

all in all, the only thing you can do is to be supportive and to be an open ear and to be a friend. last resorts are always better than no resort at all.

all in all, the only thing you can do is to be supportive and to be an open ear and to be a friend. last resorts are always better than no resort at all.

definitely! I don't know how successful my family member's experience would have been without the support of all of us. We're all really proud of his success.

My sister worked in a half-way house as an addictions counselor (sp?) for about 8 years. I think the success rate is about 1% for users with a criminal record. That may sound dismal, but I think you just have to realize that it may take many, many emotional attempts before this person's behaviour will change. I think it is important to let the person know that you are concerned about them, but that you love and support them unconditionally. It is very hard to be mad at the drug and not the person. Scientific American Mind has some great articles from the past year or so on how drug addictions actually change brain structure by altering our "reward system". Very interesting and worth checking out to help understand physical addiction.

Good luck Blane. I truly hope that she gets her life back on track.

Yeah, it's a bit rough. I think the actual action (committing her against her will) was quasi-illegal since she's over 18, but they were really at the end of their ropes. She'd stolen about 1,000$ from her parents and her boyfriend (aka drug buddy) was living at the salvation army. Her sister moved in with me for a few months to try to get away from the intensity of the whole situation (and keep from getting sucked into it herself) and I've basically become her support network here, but this is a bit out of my league in terms of offering support and advice.

Thanks for the input folks. I geuss there's not much we can do except wait and hope she'll respond well to it.

geees buddy.....BIG HUGS for you!

if guys go speak with someone professional...at least they can probably relieve some of pressure of being in the eye of a tornado by giving you some knowlagable advice and direction or just stress management advice...I dunno...sumthin like that mabey.

loads of good thoughts for you mon ami.

I know it is getting a bad rep lately, but for some insight into rehab and cleaning up try reading James Frey's A Million Little Pieces.

Apparently there are some questions about the length of time Frey spent in jail but that doesn't really matter; 90% of the book is about his time in re-hab. I don't belive anything about this time is being disputed.

I'm afraid of saying something totally fatuous here, given how serious it is. Everybody has an opinion on how to deal with addiction, as if it could be separated from the rest of life. I just wish you the best in dealing with this, and helping her sort through it all. Ultimately, her life is her own ship to sail; may she see all of the natural forces moving it to and fro.

If it is really "last resort", then AA thinking may be of some use. It's argued there that there are times that nothing short of "hitting bottom" can let the person know that even their stubborn ego has limits (if only everyone else saw this too - really), and that there's another way of thinking that brings real wisdom.

I heard theres some controversy about the truthfullness of this book?

There is some controversy but I don't think it takes away from the message at all. You can read the book as a total work of fiction and still get the point.

Frey wrote the book about a time when he was just coming off serious addiction, basically from the time he was a child. You name it, he was taking it and lots of it.

Surley his memory must be somewhat faded.

Blane, strength and understanding is the best thing you can offer to your family right now. Good Luck.