Jambands.ca

hey Bruce Cockburn fans

MarcO

just wanted to share this - I went over to sugarmegs.org to see what was new to listen to (they never disappoint) and I've been checking this Bruce Cockburn show from 1979 - my favortie period for Bruce (1976 > 1984 is the cream of the crop as far as I am concerned, I love ALL those albums in there).

It's two performances from August 30 & 31, 1979 at the Lutheran Student Movement at the Canada National Study Conference in Hastings Lake, Alberta. He performed as part of a weekend conference examining the relationships between "faith and art". Totally informal, the audience asks questions with ease between songs and much of this recording is dialogue between the conference members and Bruce. Really fascinating stuff.

This is a beautiful SBD recording. Now, as far as I know sugarmegs only allows you to stream stuff so I cannot offer any links for download but hey, at least you can hear it, and I think Cockburn fans should hear this.

You'll find the link to the show here and it's an new addition from today, March 16th.

Now I'm going to listen to Bruce respond to a question about the relationship between music and meditation.

Rock stars, is there anything they don't know? :P

bruce_cockburn.jpg

oh yeah, new Cockburn album this summer!

NEW YEAR, NEW ALBUM, NEW TOUR

Bernie Finkelstein to recieve the Walt Grealis Special Achievement Award, Review from the Bambi Meets Blackie show, and others news.

17 January 2006 - Thanks to Daniel Keebler of Gavin's Woodpile fame, for doing an interview with Bernie Finkelstein, Bruce's long time friend and manager, we now know that Bruce is going into the studio 30 January 2006 with Jon Goldsmith to record his next album which is to be released 11 July 2006. Bruce will also be touring before and after this albums release. Check our Tour Dates Section for all the latest info.

Check out Daniel's full interview at www.brucecockburn.org/media.htm.

"After nearly 20 years, Bruce Cockburn is teaming up again for his next studio album with producer Jon Goldsmith, the man behind the boards for the singer-guitarist's biggest-selling album to date, 1984's "Stealing Fire," which spawned such hits as "Lovers In A Dangerous Time" and the MTV-regular "If I Had a Rocket Launcher."

"We hope to finish in April," says Toronto's Bernie Finkelstein, Cockburn's long-time manager and president/founder of True North Records. "We've already set the release date for July 11 and then he's going to go on a full tour with a band right across the world."

While Goldsmith went on to produce Cockburn's "World Of Wonders" (1985) and "Big Circumstance"(1988), and is called in to play keyboards from time to time, the pair haven't worked together in that capacity since the '80s, "I would say that it will be classic Bruce Cockburn," says Finkelstein. "It's going to be a great record. It's going to be his 29th record and it will be his second one this (past) year, so that's very productive for him." (source)

Thanks for this, MarcO! I hear you on the 1976-84 stretch, too (though his ability to constantly reinvent himself never seems to fade). I've had Circles in the Stream on constant rotation in the car recently - always hearing new things.

76 - 84 ("In The Falling Dark" > "Stealing Fire") was the stretch where I feel every album was a winner, save for perhaps "The Trouble With Normal" which, while still great, has not aged well, whether in lyrical content nor production values.

Starting with "World Of Wonders", I feel he went throguh a relatively fallow period with a number of forgettable songs padding out the relaease albums, until "The Charity Of Night" in 1991/92, a true return to form.

Although it took a while to grow on me, I do feel his last effort "You've Never Seen Everything" is absolutely excellent.

He made me cry at the Festival of Friends a few years back and made me yearn for a connection with a God I otherwise wouldn't commit to. How's that for the Power of Music????

76 - 84 ("In The Falling Dark" > "Stealing Fire") was the stretch where I feel every album was a winner, save for perhaps "The Trouble With Normal" which, while still great, has not aged well, whether in lyrical content nor production values.

Hear you there - though "Hoop Dancer" I've found to be the surprising keeper from that one (must be that M7 jam at the end, because it took me the longest time to appreciate his spoken-song thing).

Starting with "World Of Wonders", I feel he went throguh a relatively fallow period with a number of forgettable songs padding out the relaease albums, until "The Charity Of Night" in 1991/92, a true return to form.

Maybe. I think of it as his stepping-back-from-electric-music (-and-all-the-excesses-of-the-1980s) phase. I still like Nothing but a Burning Light from time to time, and I'd say Dart to the Heart has some real gems on it - "All the Ways I Want You", "Burden of the Angel/Beast" (HM have stolen that one for rotation), "Southland of the Heart", and (of course) all the instrumentals.

Although it took a while to grow on me, I do feel his last effort "You've Never Seen Everything" is absolutely excellent.

Yes. There's the Life and Times on CBC recently that was done while that album was in the early stages where he teases some of the tunes; the snippet of "Postcards from Cambodia" I thought better sounding than the one that ended up on the album. He seems to have really found a means of synthesising his styles now (almost to the point where he's retreading old ground - almost).

He made me cry at the Festival of Friends a few years back and made me yearn for a connection with a God I otherwise wouldn't commit to. How's that for the Power of Music????

Cockburn proved to me that it was possible to fall in with the evangelical world and still get out of it without compromising integrity. I expect his is one of those Nietzschean "god who can dance" sort of gods.

Thanks, MarcO, for helping me sort out my listening agenda for the rest of the afternoon :).