Jambands.ca

RC- Akron/Family chez Zaphods tonite

Davey Boy 2.0

We love to improvise but we dont like the word 'jamband' too much, because that invokes a certain negative aspect, in our opinion. Its makes you think about the whole 90's hippie scene - Disco Biscuits and all that crap. Keep that away, that's not where we like to go. - Dana Janssen of Akron/Family

Akron/Family's meteoric rise began 18 months ago when Michael Gira (former leader of seminal NY no-wave group, Swans) signed them to his Young God Records label. Since then, Gira says, "their audience and reputation has grown exponentially, due in no small part to their non-stop touring and head-exploding shows."

"Head-exploding" shows? What could he mean by that? For starters, their sets typically last in excess of two hours and involve the removal of clothing. According to a popmatters.com review (by Peter Joseph) of their recent sold-out show at NY's legendary Knitting Factory, "their set was like Brian Wilson's SMiLE performed by Black Sabbath, an unparalleled mix of sunny harmonies and bottom-heavy, jazz-metal jams. Their music was new, uninhibited, and I couldn't get enough of it."

What are the elements that go into a show like that anyway? The band's Dana Janssen described the contents of their van. He explained, "there's a bunch of stuff used for something or other. Like too many guitars, a banjo, bells, keyboards, kazoos and a tambourine - and chairs. We make music with chairs. And contact mikes; we like to mike things to pick up different sounds. We bring just about anything we can find that makes a sound."

It takes more than a lot of gimmicky noisemakers to blow audiences' increasingly jaded minds of course, and the tried and true method for this is that fickle and dubious creature: crowd participation. Peter Joseph reports, "before long, the band members had migrated to the center of the crowd. By jumping up and down on the floor, they kept a layer of percussion while singing a sort of meditative chant. The floor shook with the collective rhythm and harmonies rose from every corner of the room; I realized that I was enjoying the incredible, organic finale to a great rock show. For all the hippy-dippy meanderings of the contemporary freak-folkers, this was the first time any of them had inspired an actual, honest-to-god happening in my presence."

not newbold's solo act. thank god clothes don't come off at that one :o;) )

Now' date=' [i']there's an image that will haunt me for the rest of the day... :P

There was a pretty hot one floating around a while back. I think from an after-party in London or something? It was most certainly haunting!!

This show sounds interesting, Davey..

The bass player took his shirt off, that was about it. They stayed seated the entire show and ended the night with 20 minutes of feedback/distortion noise then got everyone to join in a group hug and chanted for five minutes.

The entire show a had a big shit eating grin and there wasn't even any psycedelics involved.

My buddy showed up late. Payed his cover. And only saw the crazy noise and the group hug. I still have a hard time convincing him how good the show was.