Jambands.ca

Cretons

bouche

Is anyone here aware or in love with Cretons as a spread as much as I am? It's in every grocery in quebec but I just found THE best place to get cretons (and other Patés). There's a bakery/deli in the market that ms.hux and I didn't realize existed until a few weeks ago. Today, we went in for some quality buns for a Scotty-style burg ;) and found that they sell real friggin Roast beef (red in the middle) and homemade Cretons!

It was the most expensive cretons I've ever seen at 2.70/100 grams, but it is also the most enjoyable pork spread I have ever paired with melba toast and old cheddar.

You can also make it with some simple recipes and it really is a great addition to breakfast instead of bacon, sausage or ham. Spread it on buttered toasts, canapés, or any of your favorite crackers.

it's kinda like paté- ground up meat, seasoned etc;

dig:

1 lb Ground Pork

2 tb Bacon fat; divided

1 md Onion

1 cl Garlic

1 pn Cinnamon

1 pn Cloves

1/2 ts Salt

1/4 ts Pepper

1 tb Beef stock or milk; or more

Instructions:

Mince onion and garlic finely then grind in a mortar and pestle until pureed. In a large skillet add 1 tb bacon fat and gently fry the ground pork. Add the pureed onion and garlic together with the spices and continue to cook. Take off the fire. After mixture cools press the mixture through a sieve to form a puree. Add the beef stock or milk so the mixture is spreadable. Put the mixture into jars and add a small layer of melted bacon fat over the top to seal and add extra flavour. Refrigerate until used. Serve on crackers as a snack or on toast for a hearty breakfast. The concept originated in Quebec and is distinctly French-Canadian.