Jambands.ca

the who gives a sh!t thread

Deeps

I thought this might be a good spot to put links to articles that you could care less about.

Feel free to comment on them too.

Americans just aren't visiting Canada like they used to.

Oh golly I miss them already...I guess I'll have to nurture my own identity.

Yes, yes, I know, I KNOW tourism is an amazing industry, but if a HOJO closes down in Windsor I truly don't give a shit so here is my first entry in the who gives a shit thread.

Deeps

Queen not amused by Castro quip

Queen Elizabeth II, formally reopening the London headquarters of British Broadcasting Corp. radio Thursday, was asked why she has not invited Cuban leader Fidel Castro to her 80th birthday celebrations.

John Humphrys, the tenacious interviewer on Radio 4's "Today" news program, posed the jocular question to the monarch as she toured newly refurbished parts of Broadcasting House, home of BBC radio since the 1930s.

"I suggested it was a bit mean not to invite Fidel Castro to the palace because he's 80 as well and she didn't seem to think it was a very good idea," Humphrys said afterward.

Radio 2 host Terry Wogan, who also met the queen, interjected: "No she didn't. She thought in fact you were showing marked communist leanings and showing republican tendencies."

The queen turns 80 on Friday and Castro reaches the same milestone on August 13.

During her tour of the building, the queen also watched the recording of the popular Radio 4 program "Woman's Hour" and met a raft of celebrities, including the actors Prunella Scales and Timothy West.

BBC chairman Michael Grade presented a digital radio to the queen as a birthday gift.

'Idol' dismisses another contestant

Talent show down to the last half-dozen

Thursday, April 20, 2006 Posted: 1207 GMT (2007 HKT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Few times has a song title been so fitting.

But Ace Young sang "That's All," and that was about right for the "American Idol" contestant, who became the latest "American Idol" casualty in Wednesday's viewer voting after enduring weeks of speculation that he would soon get the boot.

From CNN

Americans just aren't visiting Canada like they used to.

Oh golly I miss them already...I guess I'll have to nurture my own identity.

Yes, yes, I know, I KNOW tourism is an amazing industry, but if a HOJO closes down in Windsor I truly don't give a shit...

Well, you see, it's easy to say you don't care about the tourist industry when you live somewhere that has the potential for other industries.

In my town, 95% of the population makes its living directly off the tourism industry, and those without that direct link still count on the tourism industry for this town to continue to exist. Really, the only other options for industry up here would mean (even more) raping of our natural resources, and seriously irresponsible development. Tourism is all we've got.

Now, I'm the first to agree that if you look at the tourists in this town, the Americans are more-often-than-others the tourists that are obnoxious in public, and ignorant about many things. It isn't the majority of American tourists; just a visible small minority. Despite those, though, I give a shit if the Americans stop coming here.

I do and will continue to nurture my own identity, but I hope American tourists keep on coming here.

Well fine then...now I give a shit, but not in the single day trip persuasion which is what the article was focussing on.

I don't care if yanks aren't coming over to find bargains....it's a backward way to consume and it's likely better for their local economies that they stay home.

I don't really think that a slight shift in the dollar is going to deter people who can afford a vacation in the rockies to an amazing extent.

They may decide to not by a $150 dollar sweater with a bear on it and that'll have an impact, but it may decrease the clutter fest of tourist crap and ask shop keepers to find another place in the world to hock snow globes or price stuff more reasonably. Hopefully the lanlords will adjust too.

Well, I can't speak for the Rockies as I've only visited there a few times, but in Whistler we really do count on those "day trippers" to come up from Washington to ski. (In fairness, though, you wouldn't have known that.)

I also don't think I've ever seen a snow globe for sale in this town, but I imagine you could find one.

Okay, if any story belongs in this thread...

Why I still love Take That

Ten years on, as one of the most swooned-over boy bands embark on a reunion tour, Bryony Gordon rekindles a teenage passion

The last time that Take That toured, John Major was in power, Princess Diana was still alive, the iPod had yet to be born, and, as Mark Owen remarks during the opening night of their reunion tour, “you used to wave lighters in the air to the slow songs, not camera phonesâ€.

Ah, what innocent times! Back then, as a teenage girl, I didn’t need an asbo or binge-drinking or drugs to get high. All I needed were Gary Barlow, Mark Owen, Howard Donald, Jason Orange and Robbie Williams.

Specifically, all I needed was Robbie Williams – who won me a week’s detention when it was discovered that I was responsible for the “I love ROBBIE†etchings on the new chemistry lab surfaces – though I was not averse to having the odd affair with Jason, who once trod on my toe at an album signing, leading me to forbid anyone to tread on my toe, or indeed touch my right school shoe, ever again.

Manufactured by Nigel Martin Smith they may have been, but that didn’t bother loyal fans such as myself, who owned the Take That dolls, the jewellery, the caps, the T-shirts, and I think at one point even the toothbrush. Their tours were theatrical affairs that featured fire, elaborate costumes, and complicated dance routines.

It was so exciting that, when my mother picked me up at the end, I would spend the journey home blinking back tears, as if I would never, ever have a night like that again. You always got your money’s worth with Take That, and sometimes you got a little bit more – they ended every night of one tour by dropping their trousers (squeal!), and during another they paraded around the stage in leather pants and fish-net tops (scream!).

It was all good, clean fun – much better to channel our hormones on to boys we would never meet than ones we would. But then Robbie checked himself into rehab, and soon after, in 1996, the rest of the group disbanded themselves into obscurity.

So the group’s decision to reunite, albeit without Robbie, was greeted with much giddiness. But it was a risky one. The band are now in their late thirties, their bones aching from looking after the four children they have fathered between them.

The fans have changed, too. The crowd tonight is mostly made up of women in their late twenties, who have lost their virginity, gained jobs, and are drinking the alcoholic brand that is sponsoring the tour.

It seems wrong, to be drinking at a Take That concert. I worry that my mum might find out and get cross. And it is only the fact that I have a review to write that keeps me from bolting to the door in an attempt to protect my treasured memories from being ruined by four men nearing middle age, who are probably only in this to make a quick buck.

But the cold-hearted cynicism I have developed over the past decade is knocked out of me when they bound on stage, jumping up and down with all the energy of the old days, to the strains of their early disco hit, Once You’ve Tasted Love. Mark remarks that 13 years ago, they played their first gig here in Newcastle at a tiny venue, and now look at them. “But back then,†Howard says, surveying the front row, “they didn’t have tits like that.â€

And, with that, the crowd regresses into a state of hysteria, the boys launch into their first number one, Pray – complete with all the dance moves – and any worries about whether or not this tour is going to work vanish completely. It is essentially a two-hour journey through their old concerts, with eight costume changes, energetic dance routines, flames, waterfalls, and a mini-stage thrown in for good measure.

But it doesn’t look tired, because they don’t – they are having too much fun for that. Even Gary, once the bland and portly-looking one that mothers liked, seemed to have improved with age. And because we are all grown-ups now, their songs take on a new significance. When we were 13, we may have known the lyrics off by heart, but we never really listened to them; now, with a bit of life experience, they shudder with sexual innuendo.

Indeed, sex is writ large across the show, thanks to the presence of dancers wearing little more than nipple tassles and G-strings. Suddenly, we are seeing Take That with new, adult eyes: and, strangely, it makes us feel like giggly schoolgirls all over again.

But it isn’t just about cheap thrills. Musically, they breathe new life into their material by removing the high-energy pop of It Only Takes a Minute and replacing it with the tango, while Sure is sung to a sample of Dirty Harry by Gorillaz. It really shouldn’t work, but somehow it does.

They acknowledge the lack of Robbie throughout, but, by the time he appears as a 20ft hologram, singing his re-recorded vocals of Could It Be Magic, he hardly matters one jot: we are all having far too good a time without him.

Link

• 2 months later...