Jambands.ca

HEY! (aka, EEK!, OUCH!, AW!, DARN!. etc.)

Dr_Evil_Mouse

I think she got it on eBay; it's a 30th anniversary edition, though, so I don't think it should be hard to find. She dropped it on me last week as a surprise present, along with a dvd of Underdog cartoons. What a sweetie :)!

I'm taking the excuse of having to teach English grammar to my animation students to run the half-hour of grammar clips in class today, for our penultimate session. I don't expect anyone will mind getting their grammar this way!

Oh no, I just teach animation (pre-Animation, technically) people (it's the first class I've taught where I don't mind if people are doodling :) ). They're still learning the elementary animation ropes at this point, across a bunch of styles. And they're no clearer than I am why I have to teach them business English, but a curriculum is a curriculum. Thank God for flexibility in the syllabus.

And they're no clearer than I am why I have to teach them business English

Because everybody else they deal with in the business of animation speaks business English, maybe? (I'd also assume they'd be taught how to actually be successful in the business of animation: the roles of producer vs. director, the various domestic and foreign markets, how to put a package together when trying to get a job, etc. In other words, how to succeed in animation, aside from actually making something animated.)

Aloha,

Brad

Haha, I was giving little tutorial sessions on 3d animation to the pre-animation folks last semester. Things like the basics of 3ds max and how to streamline the models so that they don't take up too much space (the tutorials were geared toward basic game animation, not movie style super animation).

3rd floor T in the "quiet" study area.

And they're no clearer than I am why I have to teach them business English

Because everybody else they deal with in the business of animation speaks business English' date=' maybe?[/quote']

Fair enough, but at this point, they're so early into their careers, and in such desperate need of remedial grammar/composition, that the business side of things is really too far on the other side of the horizon to be of much use or intelligibility to them.

That said, the final projects they've been given to do are highly organised pitches for pieces of animation they would like to see done, and this will, if nothing else, help them focus on the nature of their art as an industry (fortunately they seem well imbued with a strong scepticism about it all, having learned something of the history of it over the last century), as well as the importance of using good language to get to where they want to be.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

nahhh, no need to know how to spell anything, Word will pick it up for me or whatever other program I'm using.

I really hope you meant to post in purple.

MS Word won't ever save you entirely.

My favourite gaff in a student essay on a short story: "After following the beer tracks all day with no luck, the hunter returned home to the delicious worm supper his wife had prepared."

must be okay....no squiggly red lines underneath....why I don't think I'll even bother to proofread it myself, thinks student.

aside: I usually drink red wine while marking....and having it come out one's nose in a giggle fit HURTS!