Jambands.ca

Smashing Pumpkins Reunion Confirmed

bradm

Guest Low Roller

I've had a mixed experience seeing them... In 1996 they blew my face off, and in 2000 Billy threw a hissyfit because his monitor wasn't working correctly, and they limped through a shitty set because of it.

A friend of mine saw their last gig ever (up to this point) in a small Chicago club and considers it his favorite show ever.

I've had a mixed experience seeing them... In 1996 they blew my face off, and in 2000 Billy threw a hissyfit because his monitor wasn't working correctly, and they limped through a shitty set because of it.

A friend of mine saw their last gig ever (up to this point) in a small Chicago club and considers it his favorite show ever.

I was a fan, but also preferred a hairy Billy to a bald one. Lazlo?

But dude...a monitor not working is a serious deficiency. The operation of any modern soundsystem, save the smallest karaoke-bar jobs, depends heavily on working monitors. Have you ever stood on a stage amidst blaring rock and roll and stepped up to the mic, felt your vocal chords working, but heard nothing? It's a pretty brutal feeling.

But yeah, there are ways a performer can take it in stride. Nobody wants to see a hissy fit, especially a bald Billy hissy fit. Remember when they fired Jimmy Chamberlain and hired...Kenny Aronoff?? The guy is an awesome drummer, but I remember him wearing this idiot pair of orange alien-eyed sunglasses for a MuchMusic Intimate & Interactive...just an old guy trying to fit in with (relatively) young rockers.

Guest Low Roller

That guy was the drummer for Filter, but was really nothing more than a stopgap until Jimmy cleaned up because Corgan got along with him really well.

From what I remember it's not that his monitor wasn't working, it wasn't to Billy's liking. He stopped a tune halfway because of it. The crowd was pissed because we thought it sounded really good. They tried to repair it for 45 minutes while Auf Der Mar and Iha farted around on their instruments, then they did an acoustic Today and left. KILLED the crowd.

Oh, the monitor problem was in Ottawa. I've seen them a few times and thought they were great but everyone I know that was at that show (most their only pumpkins show) said that they suck live and I couldn't figure out why (didn't really enquire, just asssumed they didn't like it).