Jambands.ca

house swapping for vacation

thatpatguy

I know someone in Whistler who does it every year.

She thinks it is great. Her only big problem is dealing with her pets, who obviously can't stay in the house while guests are there, so she can't just have someone come by to feed and take care of them.

I think she also had some things disappear once, but nothing major.

Well, the problem for me is that, since I live in a townhouse, it'd be an absolute pain to detach it, pack it up, and ship it to someone, let alone figuring out how to fit some random stranger's house into the resulting gap between my right and left side neighbours...

Aloha,

Brad

i know a family who house swapped with a family in australia.

they just got out of a law suit with the family who COMPLETELY destroyed their house when they were here and my friends lost. i think it was something like $35,000 in damages they were attempting to claim and got nothing.

i think you need to be an extremely trusting soul to house swap. i wouldn't do it.

something happened to their septic tank that needed attention and they didn't do anything about it and ended up having to replace the entire thing, burn holes and spills in all of the carpets.. and i've seen the carpets.. it's nasty.

they brought their puppy who chewed up their legs of their dining room set and an armoire.. two broken windows.. one of which cost them $3000 to replace OUCH! and a whole bunch of other stuff.

a broken blender. how dare they break a BLENDER? that's just wrong.

personally i don't think the damage reached $35,000 but i'm sure they tagged on a few dollars for the emotional drama of coming back to a nightmare.. they were gone for a year.

Edited by Guest

I think that the way you would handle that is to ensure that you are covered as an "insured" under the general liability policy of the company that hooks you up with the other family. On top of that, get an indemnity (in writing) from that company indicating that they will be responsible for any damage caused by the other family, meaning that if they (or their insurer) have to pay you, they can then go after the other family later on to get reimbursed.

If the company won't take that responsibility, then you have to consider getting more insurance for yourself, and informing the insurer of this house-swap to make sure it's covered. Otherwise, it's your risk, and you are then left only with the option of suing the other family for damage, like Birdy's friend.

It still sucks to have your stuff damaged, though, whether or not you are reimbursed.