Jambands.ca

Raptors trade Charlie Villanueva!

The Chameleon

Canadian Press

Published: Friday, June 30, 2006

82019039_3b4f8e049d_o.jpg

TORONTO -- The Toronto Raptors finally filled their gap at point guard, but it came at a high price.

The Raptors sent forward Charlie Villanueva to the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday for point guard T.J. Ford and an undisclosed amount of cash.

Villanueva was coming off an excellent rookie season for the Raptors. He averaged 13.0 points and 6.4 rebounds in 81 games, including 36 starts, and was named to the NBA all-rookie first team.

He set club rookie records for points with 48 and rebounds with 18.

The Raptors were widely mocked for taking Villanueva seventh overall in the 2005 draft, but his solid rookie campaign made him an attractive player to other teams. With the Raptors deep up front after drafting Andrea Bargnani with the first overall pick Thursday, trading Villanueva to fill the gaping hole at point guard seemed like a sensible move for Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo.

"Charlie proved to be one of our more marketable players," said Colangelo. "Obviously there was some disappointment in his voice (when told of the trade), but he understood where things are with this team and where we're trying to go."

In Ford, the Raptors get a quick playmaking guard who had a solid season with the Bucks. Ford averaged 12.2 points, a team-best 6.6 assists and 35.5 minutes last season. He rebounded from a spinal-cord injury that sidelined him for a season and a half.

Ford was the eighth overall pick in the 2003 draft.

"We really like what we've seen from T.J. in the past year," said Colangelo. "He's a lightning quick guard, he's got great playmaking ability and we feel he is the perfect fit for the type of team that we would like to become."

Colangelo said he has not had a chance to talk to Ford, but Bucks GM Larry Harris said the guard was favourable about coming to Toronto.

Colangelo also said that the Raptors looked into Ford's past medical problems before making the deal.

"Obviously you do your due diligence, and suffice it to say we were comfortable moving forward on the basis of the information that we had," said Colangelo.

Harris hopes Villanueva will fill the team's need for a power forward to complement seven-foot centre Andrew Bogut, the top pick in the 2005 draft.

"Acquiring Charlie takes care of a primary need we had going into the summer," Harris said. "He's a gifted power forward who knows how to score both inside and outside. ... The outstanding rookie season he had last year is only the beginning of what he's capable of achieving."

The Bucks, with a revamped roster and Ford as floor leader, reached the playoffs with a 40-42 record last season. It was a 10-game improvement from the previous season when they didn't make the playoffs.

In the playoffs, they lost 4-1 to Detroit in the first round.

"He was an inspiration to all of us when he found the will and strength to fight back from the neck injury he suffered during his rookie season," Harris said. "We wish him much success in Toronto."

[color:red]BADBADBAD move! So here we go again same old same old in Raptor land. Trade away your sure thing on a point that probably won't work. Egnough already make due and let the point guard thing go.!

I mean seriously, I think we could have traded our draft pick, got Ford for it and kept Villanueva too. And probably still gotten the pick we got.

We will feel this burn huge in years to come. Remember Tracy McGrady?!

Man I though Coangelo knew what he was doing! Damn!

Edited by Guest

Are you talking about the same TMac who still can't get to the playoffs...

I'm at the point that whatever Brian Colagelo wants to do is fine with me. He has a) drafted and B) re-signed the greatest Canadian B-ball player of all time... PG Steve Nash... coincidentally the same position that was so coveted by Mr. Colagelo in Toronto, and now filled by Ford...

Pheonix hasn't won recently I know... but over the last two years, they have played some of the most exciting basketball I have EVER seen... They NEVER stop running, cept when the other team slows down... maybe Charlie V was inferior in that style of offence, or maybe Ford, who'll be handling the ball 60% of the time is THAT important to Brians vision.

Don't be so glum chum... it'll be a fun team to watch... far superior to anything in recent years. Especially if Andrea can start nailing 15' jumpshots, or feeding Bosh if anyone's silly enough to come out and get good enough defence to put a hand in his face at 15'

Yeah, Brian has been fine so far. I dont know much about TJ Ford, but I do know that the Raptors were incredibly desperate for a point guard. They made a couple of moves this summer that increased their front-court size so this seems logical.

Look SS if Ford works out great, Then no prob.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that this big Italian will be a Arujo part 2, bench warmer and Ford will end up not meshing or management will piss him off ala Rafer Alston and well be missing the proven talent of Charlie V.

As for McGrady i don't care what he has or hasn't done in Houston, it's about what he could have dome for us.

Ford better work out or I'm calling up the JYD and me and Jerome are gonna bitch slap Coangelo.

I can't handle another year of rebulding to nothing.

I'm just worried about somehow someway Collagello making the Leaves better.

And Andrea's no Arujo... he put in 20 as a bench player aginst the Raps in an exhibition two years ago... mind you it was the Raptors.

And I don't even think Carter and TMac could of saved the east from the west... That SanAntoine team, and the Lakers were unbeatable the year the Raps were predicted to take it all...

Take a cue from the world cup, and don't be so bitter beans about your team (although Peddie does make that a challenge)...

Charlie V was cool, but he was no white knight... he was a 2nd year player... Colangelo, is such a major player in this whole process, we should respect and hopefully admire what he's trying to accomplish, even if it means a year or two of rebuilding... still I don't think they can lose as many games as last year with this line up... and that in itself will be a step forward out of 'rebuilding'...

Peace,

I like the Charlie V deal. Ford has only played two years in the league - last year was the first after his serious accident.

McGrady was still a project at the time and did not want to play in Toronto. Fuck him. He's more Stevie Franchise than Dwayne Wade.

Here, Here!! I absolutely agree that Brian has done an amazing job. I like Charlie V, but I have been hearing that there were a few things that did not make the Raptors happy. e.g., poor D and lack of hustle some nights. We needed a pass first point guard and we have a lot of forwards. Somebody had to go. As for Brian, F*ck, I wish he would take over the Leafs. The man seems to really know what he is doing. I will give props, finally, to MLSE for hiring someone compentent enough to do a great job.

Thing is, as far as being reported, MLSE washed their hands clean of the Raptors at the request of Brian C. That was one of his stipulations if he was going to take over. If you Leaf fans want to see more positive action from the front office, the same thing needs to happen.

Bottom line is I beleive that we could have gotten TJ Ford and kept Charlie V.

I don't think Ford is worth Charile V, seriously. I also don't think that Italian is as talented as Villaeuva. So answer me this, if there was no real standout in this draft and we needed a point guard, why the fuck would you not trade your pick for a proven point guard, as oppose to giving up a promising up and comer (Charlie V) and aquiring a point guard that still has much to prove after a serious accident.

No logic in this at all, seems like a typical Raptor gaff.

I hope this season works out. the Raptors seem to make huge personel errors every year.

And for the record SS I think if the Raptors had kept thier line up of:

2000-2001

Vince Carter

Tracy McGrady

Kevin.Willis

Alvin Williams (when he wasn't damaged)

Mark Jackson (when he could still play)

Keon Clark

Jerome Williams

Del Curry

Corliss Williamson

Charles Oakley

Antonio Davis

Mugsy Bogues

We'd be looking at a team that would have perhaps won a championship or at very least made a serious run for a few years.

But noo, Raptors inept management pissed it away with bad trades, that we have still not recovered from totally.

They have much to prove.

Edited by Guest

I agree that the management made some bad trades, but it is hard to keep a team together if all the stars want to be traded. There are some great players on that team, but a lot of them went down hill after that season. eg., Mark Jackson, Alvin Williams, Jerome Williams, Dell Curry, Keon Clark, Charles Oakley

if there was no real standout in this draft and we needed a point guard, why the fuck would you not trade your pick for a proven point guard,

what i dont understand is, if there was no real standout in the draft, why anyone would trade a proven player for a questionable pick.

negotiations are a 2 way street.

I don't think Ford is worth Charile V, seriously. I also don't think that Italian is as talented as Villaeuva. So answer me this, if there was no real standout in this draft and we needed a point guard, why the fuck would you not trade your pick for a proven point guard, as oppose to giving up a promising up and comer (Charlie V) and aquiring a point guard that still has much to prove after a serious accident.

It's really hard to trade your #1 pick for a proven point guard since it would demolish your cap. Ford put up as many points as Charlie V did last year. Ford is an unselfish leader that doesn't disappear in stretches like Charlie did last year. Ford's outside shooting needs work, as it does with the majority of young players entering the NBA from the NCAA. Charlie V. is still an unproven commodity too. I love the kid, but he played a similar game in Toronto as he did with Connecticut.

Edited by Guest

True the salary cap does put a wrench in things. I still would have kept Charlie V. I think he has much potential.

For the record we had a real point guard until Sam Mitchell assasinated his good will.

RAFER "FUCKING" ALSTON. Could have been so right.

Rafer Alston is probably the 2nd biggest cancer to any dressing room in the league behind Ron Artest