Jambands.ca

ATI Sold To The Americans

\/\/illy

Sorry to be so harsh earlier Willy. I don't look at it as "another Canadian company bites the dust". This will mean better jobs, and better lives for Canadian ATI-AMD employees. Our customers will also benefit, and I really don't see a downside.

Except all the profits being fed into the coffers of the Americans.

I didn't take you as being too harsh at all Brian. Don't worry about it. ATI is a Canadian success story and it is sad (albeit only to me) that they couldn't survive on their own. It's been a bad year: The Bay is gone, Dofasco is gone, and now ATI.

Dear Concerned Citizen,

Deep integration between Canada and the United States is not a theory or a fear – it is a reality. For several years now, a plethora of task forces, working groups, commissions, coordinating committees and cross-border consultations have been operating to harmonize Canada-U.S. programs and procedures. This has led to an incremental and systematic harmonization of Canadian and American regulations and standards governing health, food safety, and all aspects of the environment.

This harmonization process has been central to the demands of the big-business community in Canada. They contend that the only way to secure trade across the border and continued access to the U.S. market is to merge trade and border policies, including all regulatory, environmental and inspection systems. The Canadian Council of Chief Executives (CCCE), an organization that lobbies the government on behalf of Canada’s largest corporations, argues that because the economies of the two countries are now so integrated, our domestic laws are essentially redundant.

Those pushing for deep integration are looking at a common customs union, as well as harmonizing existing policies, standards and regulations to a common norm. Combined with joint Canada-U.S. inspection and security procedures, this would essentially wipe out the Canada-U.S. border. This push will lead to the privatization of our health care, the loss of control of our resources, further compromises in trade deals like what we have seen with the softwood lumber dispute.

But there is hope. We can stop the integration of Canada with the United States by demanding that the Canadian government stop working with big business and put a moratorium on deep integration initiatives.

This is not a call to put up borders around Canada. Nor is it an announcement of presumed moral superiority with respect to our neighbours. What I believe, and what The Council of Canadians believes, is that Canada must decide if it is in our interest to forge deeper economic, foreign policy, social and resource ties with the United States under its most aggressive government in modern history, or if we are going to stand with moderate countries and people around the world to form a counterweight.

This booklet includes background information, key demands and suggestions of how you can get involved in the fight against deep integration with Bush’s America.

Make your voice heard.

Maude Barlow

National Chairperson, The Council of Canadians

Maude_Barlow_Sign_05.jpg

A Citizen’s Guide to Fighting Deep Integration Tool Kit: Download entire kit PDF format (453kB)

I didn't take you as being too harsh at all Brian. Don't worry about it. ATI is a Canadian success story and it is sad (albeit only to me) that they couldn't survive on their own. It's been a bad year: The Bay is gone, Dofasco is gone, and now ATI.

Nah, I think it sucks too, despite the profit driven cause for celebration. And I didn't even know ATI was a Canadian company!

Another one bite the dust so far as I'm concerned. Are there any actual canadian companies left? I like that letter about the deep integration because it's true and I really fear losing the things that make us canadiands (such as our health care system). With the conservatives in charge it's almost impossible that we stop the deep integration but that's what the majority of canadians want so that's what we get I guess...

Folks, remember that most of what is ATI will still be there, in Canada. And if them hooking up with AMD increases their sales, the net result will be good for Canada: more jobs, higher-paying jobs, and a resulting net gain for the Canadian economy.

I went through the same kind of thing when the company I worked for was bought: yes, it meant that we were part of a foreign corporation (which doesn't mean much other than the corporate headquarters is overseas), but that meant we were able to take advantage of a world-wide organization.

With chip/board makers, as with telecommunications equipment makers, you can divide the market into "tiers" (or groups). If Intel and AMD are Tier-1 players, then ATI is a Tier-2 player. It's actually easier to get to the top of a given tier than it is to move from one tier to the next higher tier; merging (or being acquired) is one of the few ways to do it.

Aloha,

Brad

amen.

Dear Concerned Citizen,

Deep integration between Canada and the United States is not a theory or a fear – it is a reality. For several years now, a plethora of task forces, working groups, commissions, coordinating committees and cross-border consultations have been operating to harmonize Canada-U.S. programs and procedures. This has led to an incremental and systematic harmonization of Canadian and American regulations and standards governing health, food safety, and all aspects of the environment.

This harmonization process has been central to the demands of the big-business community in Canada. They contend that the only way to secure trade across the border and continued access to the U.S. market is to merge trade and border policies, including all regulatory, environmental and inspection systems. The Canadian Council of Chief Executives (CCCE), an organization that lobbies the government on behalf of Canada’s largest corporations, argues that because the economies of the two countries are now so integrated, our domestic laws are essentially redundant.

Those pushing for deep integration are looking at a common customs union, as well as harmonizing existing policies, standards and regulations to a common norm. Combined with joint Canada-U.S. inspection and security procedures, this would essentially wipe out the Canada-U.S. border. This push will lead to the privatization of our health care, the loss of control of our resources, further compromises in trade deals like what we have seen with the softwood lumber dispute.

But there is hope. We can stop the integration of Canada with the United States by demanding that the Canadian government stop working with big business and put a moratorium on deep integration initiatives.

This is not a call to put up borders around Canada. Nor is it an announcement of presumed moral superiority with respect to our neighbours. What I believe, and what The Council of Canadians believes, is that Canada must decide if it is in our interest to forge deeper economic, foreign policy, social and resource ties with the United States under its most aggressive government in modern history, or if we are going to stand with moderate countries and people around the world to form a counterweight.

This booklet includes background information, key demands and suggestions of how you can get involved in the fight against deep integration with Bush’s America.

Make your voice heard.

Maude Barlow

National Chairperson, The Council of Canadians

Maude_Barlow_Sign_05.jpg

A Citizen’s Guide to Fighting Deep Integration Tool Kit: Download entire kit PDF format (453kB)

The company my dad works for was purchased by an overseas corp. They thought it was great until they realized that because the buyer was such a huge corporation worldwide and had dealings with many countries, well, canadian labor costs a fortune compared to say mexico or places in asia, etc. Then it wasn't such a good idea since half the plant is closed and the rest is coming soon.