Jambands.ca

New Nikon D80

bouche

Ok back to the camera ;) ...

There are a lot of good points about it (well one really good point - it CHEAP!), but a few things make me want to save up the extra bones for the D200:

D80 max shutter: 1/4000

D200 max shutter: 1/8000

D80 has no flash sync for external flash units or slaves

3 fps vs 5 fps (this one is not a huge issue for me...don't a lot of sports...but you never know!)

My biggest complaint though is the fact that it uses an SD card for memory WTF?? I have a lot of money invested in compact flash cards...wouldn't want to have to reinvest in SD cards...they seem to really be dividing the market into pro/consumer, which I understand, but some of us "pros" who only do this part time can't afford the big boys (D2X, D200). Oh well...hopefully I make enough this year for an upgrade!

My biggest complaint though is the fact that it uses an SD card for memory WTF?? I have a lot of money invested in compact flash cards...wouldn't want to have to reinvest in SD cards...they seem to really be dividing the market into pro/consumer, which I understand, but some of us "pros" who only do this part time can't afford the big boys (D2X, D200). Oh well...hopefully I make enough this year for an upgrade!

I think Compact Flash can only live for so long with more and more support for the higher capacity SD card and even higher SDHC which can go up to 32 MB, but I can't imagine how much that'll cost.

But I hear ya. It's not compelling to have to get a new card. A 4 gig SD card is about 200 US I think. Those things will come down in price. I paid about $150 2 years ago for a 256 Meg Compact flash.