Jambands.ca

X

Joan

I've been on a burrito (or pseudo-burrito) kick lately. For the filling, I take a frying pan, add a little oil, and then a chopped onion, chopped bell pepper (usually green, just for the colour difference), and four or five chopped Italian/plum/roma tomatoes. I let that cook for a while (10 or 15 minutes, on medium) until it gets moderately mushy, then add one can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and a package of veggie ground round. I let that cook together for a while more (5 minutes, maybe), then add hot sauce.

This ends up with a frying pan full (almost too full) of filling, which I use on whole wheat tortillas (maybe with a small amount of cheese; lettuce and diced tomato would also work) or mixed with plannedover brown rice.

The nice thing about the onion/pepper/tomato base is that it can also work as a pasta sauce (add mushrooms and maybe a glass or two of red wine, cooking until it gets mushier than the burrito filling).

It's loaded with vegetables and legumes, and is low in fat (it doesn't need more than a tablespoon or so of oil, and makes five or six two-tortilla servings, easy). I usually eat one serving after making it, and freeze the rest in single-serving portions, eaten over the next week or two.

Aloha,

Brad

hmmm...

i make a wicked veg shepherds pie. the key is to rehydrate the TVP in a flavourful broth, and sautee it up with cayenne and/or other peppers. and make a rich herbal gravy (sage and thyme are key, and miso). this time of year, i'd add brocolli, corn, mushrooms, carrots, onions and garlic... whatever looks good really.

also if you're looking to make a healthy change, i'd recommend trying Earth Balance instead of butter or margarine. I'm not sure if you can get it at conventional grocery stores, but it is at any health food store. it is vegan, and it's so delicious every meat-eating butter lover i've ever turned onto it has switched. it's kinda pricey ($5 for a tub) but trust me, so worth it!

if you pick up a random delicious looking vegetable, i'd recommend searching vegweb.com recipes for ideas. i find a lot of the recipes are good guidelines, but many need modifications. fortunately users can comment on the recipe, so read the comments before you begin.