Jambands.ca

Teaching Classes

M.O.B.E

Well this week, the weather is shitty and Im feeling shitty so Im going to do a comfort food day. This is also what Im making for dinner tonite. Anyone who is hungry drop by dinner is at 6.

Chicken or Turkey Manicotti.

1lb of ground turkey or chicken

1 onion- diced

Fresh Basil

Olive Oil

Olivieri Fresh Lasagna Sheets.

750 ml tomato sauce.

2 cups of Ricotta Cheese.

2 tbsp Parmesean cheese.

Salt and Pepper to taste

*** You can also substitute ground veal for the meat.

1. In a large hot skillet add the onion and olive oil. Saute the onions until the are clear.

2. Add the chicken or turkey and brown. Add the Basil and season with Salt and Pepper. When the chicken is cooked remove from heat.

3. Stir in Ricotta Cheese and Parmesan.

4. Place 2-3 Tbsp of chicken mixute into the pasta sheet and roll it up. Place all the pasta rolls into an oven proof baking dish and cover with the tomato sauce

5. Place in a 375 preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.

6. Enjoy.

Creme Brulee

1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean

4 cups 35% cream

6 egg yolks

1/2 cup of sugar

Brown Sugar for the top

1. preheat over to 300

2. In a saucepan bring the cream to just a boil over meduim heat.

3. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together.

4. Slowly whisk the hot cream into the eggs.

5. Divide the mixture into ramekins or a baking dish. Place the ramekins into a roasting pan and place in the oven. Fill around the ramekins with boiling water. Bake for 30 minutes

i'm hungry NOW..do you deliver to East York?

• 2 months later...

this week was my first week back and I had one of the best classes Ive had to date. Here's the recipes for everyone. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Ginger and Carrot Soup

4 large peeled diced carrots

1/2 onion diced

2 tsp of fresh chopped ginger

1-2 Bay leaves

1 liter of vegetable broth**

salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large sauce pan, saute the carrot and the onion and half ginger, until soft.

2. Add the stock and bring to a boil.

3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

4. Puree in a blender and or with a hand blender and add the rest of the ginger.

5. Serve hot. A small spoonful of unsweetened whip cream may be added to the soup when its served to smooth the flavour and texture.

** Chicken broth can also be substituted.

Steve's BBQ Pork Tenderloin with Potato Rostii

BBQ Pork

2 pork tenderloin

6 strips of bacon

1/2 an onion diced

2 cloves of garlic chopped

5 tbsp malt vinegar

4 tbsp of brown sugar

1/2 bottle of ketchup

1/2 cup of water

2 tsp of ground corriander

2 tsp of ground cumin

salt and pepper to taste

1. Ready a hot saute pan and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Season the pork with 1 tsp each of corriander and cumin and salt and pepper. Wrap with 3 slices of bacon.

3. Sear the pork on all sides in the hot pan. Remove the pork and place on a baking and put into the hot oven for 15-18 minutes or until the pork reaches 165 degrees F internal temperature.

4. While the pork is cooking add the onion and garlic back into the saute pan and slowly brown in the bacon fat.

5. Add in the brown sugar and let it melt into the pan.

6. Stir in the ketchup and add the vinegar and leftover spices. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer until the pork is finished.

7. Slice the pork and serve smothered in the BBQ sauce.

Potatoe Rostii

6-8 large boiled and cooled potatoes any variety

1/2 an onion, julienne

salt and pepper

oil to cook

1. Peel and preboil 6-8 large potatoes. Cool under cold water and grate on a box grater.

2. In a large bowl mix the potatoes and onions, and season with salt and pepper.

3. In a hot skillet add a handfull of the potatoe mix and press flat with a spatula. Don't turn until golden brown and repeat the same for the other side. Once golden brown on both sides they are ready to serve.

• 2 months later...

This is the early word on whats happening in my class next Thursday. Im getting pumped for BBQ season and for farmers market season! Id also reccomend and nice dark or bitter beer to go with the steak. And for dessert and nice cold sparkling white wine/ champagne or wine sprizter.

[color:blue]NY Strip loin Steak topped with Goat Cheese and Cashews, Baked Sweet Potato and Grilled Red Peppers. An entire dinner from the BBQ and with very little mess or preparation.

1. After washing, wrap whole Sweet Potato in foil, drizzle with Olive oil and season with Salt and Pepper. Place on the top rack of the BBQ and let them bake on high heat for approx 45 minutes depending on the size. It is done when the Sweet Potato is soft when squeezed.

NY Strip loin

2-3 tbsp of Goat Cheese per steak and 2-3 tbsp of chopped cashews.

For Marinade; marinade the steak for at least 1 hr. Reserve 1/4 of marinade for the peppers.

1 garlic clove

1 tsp of thyme, rosemary,

1 tsp Worchester Sauce

1/2 tsp of cracked black pepper

1/2 tsp of dried mustard or Dijon mustard.

4 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar

1/4 cup Olive Oil

Salt to taste

1. Marinade the steak for at least 1 hr. Reserve 1/4 of marinade for the peppers.

2. After marinating the steak(s), season with Salt and grill to your desired doneness.

3. Allow the steak top rest at least 2-3 minutes before serving.

4. At serving time, top with Goat Cheese and Cashews.

Peppers

Cut the peppers into large pieces and place into the reserved marinade. This can be done just before grilling. Start the peppers at the same time as the steak and they will be done as the steak finishes or when they reach the most vibrant red depending on how you like your steak cooked.

For Dessert

Grilled Rosemary Skewered Strawberry's over Vanilla Frozen Yogurt and Balsamic Syrup.

1 bunch of Fresh Rosemary

1 pint of strawberries

2-3 scoops of Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

1/2 cup of balsamic, reduced to syrup.

Clean and wash Strawberries. Trim all the leaves off a sprig of fresh Rosemary and use the stem to skewer the berries. Grill lightly and be very gentle with the berries, they will get soft. Place the warm skewer of berries on top of the frozen yogurt and drizzle with the Balsamic syrup. ENJOY!

i'll do that very soon too!

where's the step that tells people to allow your steak to reach room temperature BEFORE grilling? That's important to get a seriously nice rare center without over cooking.

We dont tell people that because of the rules for holding food hot or cold. Room temperature is generally "in the danger zone". Its also against the law to serve a truely rare steak as meat must be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 140 degrees F. Your typical rare steak is around 125-130 degrees F. I eat mine at 120 which is Blue Rare.

I like my beef still mooing, with a texture like a cold, slippery leech on my tongue, blood dripping from my mouth.

Oh god. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

and here's where my good friend Denis Leary comes in handy

Just bring me a live cow over to the table. I'll saw off what I want and ride the rest home