Jambands.ca

EPL 2006-2007 Season

ollie

Quotes of the season~ holy fook some of these are hilarious

"If there was no good football or no bad football you'd have a Douglas and a Carsley in every team in the world."

- Johnny Giles, in two minds about the quality of Ireland's engine room after the 1-0 win over Wales at Croke Park.

"Now that Nos has switched to centre back he's got much less time on the ball, which is best for all concerned."

- Roy Keane, somewhat relieved his former full back Nyron Nosworthy is spending less time in possession this weather.

"I want our fans to be happy and for them to enjoy the experience of being at Old Trafford. I would appeal to them to just enjoy the performance we intend to put on for them."

- Francesco Totti, just ahead of Roma's 7-1 setback at Old Trafford.

"We have looked at his goals. They often come randomly. He has scored from some mistakes. He runs around a lot to try and get the ball, but he would probably not be in the Swedish squad."

- Swedish goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson when asked about the danger posed by Northern Ireland's David Healy. Two goals later . . .

Gabby Logan: " What about Manchester City? Would you be interested in becoming manager there?"

Sven-Goran Eriksson: "Manchester City? No. I am interested to have a good football team next season."

"I have accepted that the remainder of my career will be at smaller clubs. Aston Villa is perfect for me."

- Martin Laursen endears himself to the Villa Park faithful.

"Reports that I'd move to Tottenham are wide of the mark. If I had to leave Real, I'd choose to join another big club."

- Real Madrid's Robinho deletes Spurs from his list of destinations.

"When I left Fenerbahce, I would have liked to join a big club. That's not been possible."

- Nicolas Anelka, agog at the prospect of joining Bolton Wanderers.

"He crossed nine balls during the game, which was double anyone else."

- Steve McClaren congratulates Stewart Downing on putting in four-and-a-half more crosses than anyone else.

"The 2,000 away fans will be unhappy. In fact half of them have gone - there's only 500 left."

- Chris Waddle, in desperate need of an abacus.

"I know there will be a lot of fans who would love Neil Warnock as their club's next boss."

- It could only be . . . Neil Warnock.

"I'm aware that I'm on the wanted list at a number of big clubs, but specifically Chelsea, and I regard that as only natural."

- Marcello Lippi, hiding nothing under his bushel.

"If we don't change things right now and understand how crucial this moment is, we will waste another one or two months on two or three targets and we'll start having to sign third-choice players again."

- Rafa Benitez gives a big thumbs to up his more recent purchases, Bellamy, Gonzalez, Pennant and Co.

" We've not brought quality in . . . we can't gamble on players who have scored six goals in six games in the Pontin's League or in Belgium ."

- Joey Barton, somewhat questioning the quality of Manchester City's transfer market dabbling.

"San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on . . ."

- Steve Staunton, after Ireland's 2-1 thrashing of the team that previously lost narrowly to Germany (13-0).

"He can get young players who are upstarts, boisterous boys, and bring them under his wing and make good players out of them. Look at Wayne Rooney? If he had stayed in Liverpool he might be in jail by now."

- Bruce Grobbelaar compliments Alex Ferguson, and in the process loses every friend he ever had on Merseyside.

"He bears comparison with the incomparable George Best."

- David Pleat on Cristiano Ronaldo.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is a puffball who's never done it on the big occasion."

- Alan Shearer. Na, Eamon Dunphy, need it be said?

"Some of the managers I've dealt with have been pure class - David Jones at Cardiff, George Burley, Mick McCarthy."

- Roy Keane. Seriously.

" I always knew one day I would not be a champion."

- Jose Mourinho. Honest.

"I am not a cashpoint machine. Do you think you can stick a card in my mouth and cash will come pouring out of my a***?"

- Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan responding less than positively to manager Peter Taylor's request for transfer loot.

"In some respects I don't have any regrets. In other ways, I did blow £40 million, lost my wife, everything I had and was made to start from scratch."

- Mark Goldberg reflecting fondly on his time as Crystal Palace owner.

"Today will live with them for the rest of their lives. Well, at least through the summer."

- Jamie Redknapp, almost forgetting footballers have short memories.

"People forget he's only 20."

- Ex-Fulham manager Chris Coleman, forgetting Liam Rosenior is 22.

"We looked world beaters going forward - and panel-beaters when defending."

- Paul Jewell, now ex-Wigan manager, swooning all over his back four.

" I was in a barbers in Moss Side when my mobile phone rang. This voice said, 'This is Steve McClaren here,' so I just said, 'Yeah, whatever' and hung up."

- Happily for Manchester City's Micah Richards McClaren rang again to tell him about his England call-up. A close shave, though.

" Arsenal are like lounge lizards: plenty of movement but they don't score too often."

- Bill O'Herlihy leaves Gilesie, Dunphy and Co speechless.

"Cilla wants her teeth back, Cilla wants her teeth back, La, la, la, La, la, la."

- Liverpool fans welcome Ronaldinho to Anfield.

"If you sit in row Z, and the ball hits your head, that's Zamora."

- To the tune of That's Amore , Spurs fans say hi to their old boy, West Ham's Bobby Zamora.

"Nothing is surprising with David Beckham. His career's been full of surprises. When I first heard about it I was really surprised."

- Jamie Redknapp, unsurprisingly surprised by Beckham's LA Galaxy move.

"Glen Johnson is an England international in the making. Although he has already played for England."

- Tony Gale leaves his Sky Sports' team-mates befuddled.

"Reading just had a great five-man move that involved everyone."

- And Phil Thompson has the much same effect on his Sky pals.

"There's only one person who knows how he missed that, and that's Wayne Rooney, and even he doesn't know."

- Take a bow, George Graham.

Richard Keyes : "Has Emile Heskey something to prove against his former club?"

David Platt : "No, not at all, but he will want to show them they were wrong to sell him."

"The weather over here is killing me. We'll get one day of sunshine for every 30 days of rain and it is driving me to despair. My girlfriend and my mother are frightened about not seeing the sun in England."

- Julio Baptista, who lived under a dark cloud for the duration of his loan spell at Arsenal.

"I went to Tesco on Sunday and it was crazy. You go to Tesco in Middlesbrough on a Sunday and you can hear the flies buzzing. It's nice to be in a big city again."

- Fulham's Franck Queudrue, missing the late night shopping up north.

"The food is catastrophic and it's always raining. It's difficult for my wife and son. When there's no training and no match we watch a DVD under a warm blanket."

- Patrice Evra, wondering about the wisdom of moving from Monaco to Manchester.

"It is obviously not our dream to have to go to Blackburn. It's hardly the most fantastic place touristically."

- Arsene Wenger, tingling at the prospect of visiting Ewood Park.

Footballers, eh?

"I'm 28 now and they say you peak at 28 - so my best years are still ahead of me."

- Newcastle's Kieron Dyer, not quite grasping the definition of "peak".

"I am not sure exactly why the winter break started, but I'm sure it has something to do with the weather."

- Owen Hargreaves, wearing a woolly hat, thermals and ice skates, wondering why the Bundesliga shut down for 40 days.

"Well, I'm the Prince and I'm sort of slaying a dragon, which is something I've never done before. Obviously."

- David Beckham telling us about his photo shoot for Disney, in which he made his dragon-slaying debut. Obviously.

"I'm on the transfer list and I'm going to stay on there as long as I'm on it."

- No flies on Burnley's Gifton Noel-Williams.

"My dad had a massive influence on me, he gave birth to me."

- Fulham's Liam Rosenior, who was too busy playing football in his youth to attend his biology classes.

Reporter : "Do you see any of yourself in Gordon Strachan?"

Alex Ferguson : "I don't think so. I hope not."

Reporter: "Who would you prefer to be stuck with in a lift for two hours - Jose Mourinho or Alex Ferguson?"

Arsene Wenger : "Is there a fire exit instead?"

- Wenger spreads the love.

"We're not as good as we think we are: we need to go out there and prove that."

- And in fairness to Steve McClaren his England team did just that.

"Fourth spot is what we are aiming for - we don't want to be second best."

- Everton's Phil Neville. Even with our calculator we can't work this one out.

"Andy Johnson has been playing up front on his own with James Beattie all season."

- Alan Shearer on the impact James "Invisible Man" Beattie has made at Everton the past year.

Eric Cantona - The Frenchman was asked to describe himself in five words. In four, he said: “Politician, woman, lobster, grass. That’s it! No, wait . . . the sex of a fish. The big sex of a sports fish . . . Or maybe the little sex of a small fish . . . a stickleback. You know what I’m saying, right?â€

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a cool article. Its about my Uncle. Besides his playing career and being an agent he has also managed a few teams. He gave me my start at Queen's Park FC in the Scottish 3rd division. QPFC is also the only amatuer team in professional football.

SMITH LINKED WITH SFA ROLE

Posted 30/05/07 21:01EmailPrintSave

Scottish Football Association vice-president George Peat urged caution following a report that Gordon Smith is poised to be appointed the national body's new chief executive.

Smith, currently a pundit and player agent, played for Kilmarnock, Rangers, Brighton and Manchester City.

The SFA have their annual general meeting in Glasgow on Friday and BBC Sport Scotland, for whom Smith provides regular expert analysis, report that the 52-year-old is the front-runner to land the job vacated by David Taylor.

Smith may be a candidate, but Peat said: "No decision will be taken until the SFA board meets on Friday before the AGM."

Peat himself is expected to take on the SFA presidency on Friday, succeeding John McBeth whose four-year stint is drawing to a close.

With Taylor now employed as UEFA's general secretary, a number of high-profile administrators from within the Scottish game have been touted for the SFA chief executive role, among them Hearts operations director Campbell Ogilvie and former SFL secretary Peter Donald. Donald has retired in recent weeks, ruling himself out of the running.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm still a bit mystified as to why Henry went for so cheap even if he is 29, seems very strange.

i don';t think anyone doubts the quality of Bent (except maybe Maclaren), the question is how will he fit in with the other poachers- keane doesn't play with defoe all that often, i guess their styles clash. in the end i think bent will only start when Jol wants to give keane and dimitar a rest. in that light 16M seems like a lot but we'll see

well it's looking like Rafa's all but landed Torres for something like 27M, a staggering amount really. Hopefully this will mean that we won't be missing a slew of sitters next season.

now if they can sort out the wings i think there'll be noticable increased pressure at the top of the table

fun fun fun!

• 2 weeks later...