Jambands.ca

Ottawaians - Where do you buy furniture?

AD

I need to buy some furniture, probably just a couch and chair / loveseat. I've looked at IKEA, Leon's, Sears, Blue Oasis... can't find anything I like.

Anyone have suggestions for new, reasonably-priced, comfortable and somewhat funky furniture?

AD

I bought my couch at 7th Heaven Futons on Bank St. The unit I bought (which was $700, several years ago) is much more of a couch than a futon: it's queen sized, has a solid oak frame (with full arm rests and legs), and you can fold it down into a bed without having to move the frame.

I also recommend Simply Wood in Westboro, if you're looking for unfinished stuff.

Aloha,

Brad

AD, I recently had to do the same thing.....looked at a few places including the ones you mentioned....and then, just by chance happened to see "the brick warehouse outlet" on Huntclub (around Hunt Club and Merivale).

I bought myself a beautiful dark brown, modern leather sofa for $500...regular price $1300. They sell floor models from their showroom at the regular store and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Mine was in perfect condition.

I HIGHLY suggest you go there....tons of wicked deals and great stuff. You will not be disappointed.

Awesome, thanks LJFH (Jodie?) I work around the corner from there so that is where I will look at lunch today. I'll be in the market tonight, so I'll check out the place on Sussex, and I drive home from work past the futon place on Bank, so I'm all set.

Thanks everyone.

Of course if you have more suggestions please let me know!

AD

We've just purchased our first NEW piece of furniture from a store called Blueprint in the Parkdale area. It is far from inexpensive but it's beautiful and long-lasting.

You can find some good manufacturers at Sears Home (there's a few locations but there's one at Cyrville/Innes) as well as the La-Z-Boy store in the same area.

If you like danish teak there's the mostly danish guy on Wellington...he's a superstar and you'll find it hard not to buy something while you're there because he's very persuasive.

Then there's all of those boutique places like Philip van leeuwen in the market...but it ain't cheap either.

For anyone else that is interested, here are some more modern furniture stores in ottawa, one is downtown while the other two are out near merival and huntclub like so many others.

http://www.mobilia.ca/splash/

http://www.eq3.com/cat-eq3/splash.html

http://www.structube.com/

I went to Sears Home last night and wasn't impressed. Very expensive and quality didn't look any better than other places I checked out.

My beef with Leon's: Products are named differently on website than in store!! I wanted to sit on the Julia Collection to test it out after seeing it online, but nobody in the store knew what I was talking about!!

OK rant done.

AD

eq3 was quite good, forgot about that one. Their Merivale store is alot easier to navigate on a saturday than the market store.

My own beef with Leon;s, the brick, etc? They still sell furniture that only my 90 year-old grandma would think looks good.

Sofa World (St.Laurent I think?) was actually better than you might think, and they were very flexible on prices.

My own beef with Leon;s, the brick, etc? They still sell furniture that only my 90 year-old grandma would think looks good.

No way man...my sofa is beautiful, modern and looks like it came from somewhere like Structube or Eq3...not grannyish at all.