Jambands.ca

Infected Mushroom Tour and Electronic Music in Canada...

YearsAlongTheSea

So, I'm not really sure where you all stand on electronic music or any of the infinite genres therein but, Infected Mushroon, a very good, reputable, sick, nasty, psy-trance DJ from Israel is coming to Canada and playing about five dates. My question here is somewhat multi-faceted.

First off, who's going? (Dates posted below)

Secondly, who likes electronic music around here?

And third, where is the DJ / Party Scene in Ottawa?

So, fill me in if you will. He'll be spinning the following dates:

Wed 09/27/06 Niagra Falls, ON Dragonfly

Thu 09/28/06 Quebec City, QC Dagobert

Fri 09/29/06 Montreal, QC Metropolis

Sat 09/30/06 Toronto, ON The Guvernment

Sun 10/01/06 Ottawa, ON Club Heaven

I've been a fan of electronic music for many years as a lot of my friends were heavy into the Toronto scene back when I was knee high to a grasshopper. Not quite sure about the Ottawa scene but Montreal puts out some great dj's. Here's a list of a few of my favorites.

Akufen

Legion Of Green Men

DJ Shadow

Richie Hotten aka Plastic Man

DJ Sneak

Mark Oliver

Dima, unless you're being sarcastic, I think we just agreed on something. I'm seeing white flags. Wonderful.

Thanks for the tips on the Montreal front AWeeJig, DJ Shadow is nasty, I could persuade myself to drive over for a set of that action.

This Club Heaven Place is as intruiging as it is vague. What kind of Club doesn't have a website? Anyways, I've heard good things about it and a set or more of Infected Mushroom should go over well there. I'm like a kid in a candy store; without all the sparkly shit, glow sticks and 14 year-olds sucking on pacifiers.

YATS - the dj's I mentioned are not all Montreal based infact I believe the only one that is would be Akufen. If you have yet to hear any of his stuff be sure to check it out. My friend threw his album 'My Way' my way back in 2003. It was quite rare that a day went by that I didn't listen to atleast one track for a year or so following. It's unlike any electronic I've heard before. This guy is stellar!

I'll be sure to check out Infected Mushroom as soon as I can.

Richie Hotten aka Plastic Man

ahem. Richie Hawtin' date=' Plastikman.

i do enjoy some electronic music, however i will not be at any future psy-trance, goa-trance, progressive trance, hard trance, soft trance, sticky trance, or any other event, featuring trance. bleeeechhhh!![/quote']

I knew I was wrong there. Thanx for the correction Questceque.

Living in Seoul 'til recently, they almost exclusively get house DJ's as far as international stuff goes, so I saw my fair share this past year. But they do get non-house on occasion. I saw Peter Kruder (of Kruder & Dorfmeister) and he put on a sick show. DJ Andy Smith (Portishead's dj) was great too.

I saw DJ Shadow a few weeks ago and to be honest, my review is not great. He's touring right now in support of his new album called 'The Outsider', which I'm just not into. Its a lot of "crunky" hip hop. He dips into the older stuff on this tour, maybe about 50/50, but the new stuff does nothing for me. He also brought out this brit pop singer for a few tunes and that guy was pretty much boo'd off the stage, poor bastard.

here's an article about heaven from xpress. i wanted to go about a month ago to see max graham, but i bailed. there have been some other familiar names [donald glaude, dj dan] in town but i haven't gone to see any. i used to go to DJ shows like crazy when i was in victoria, but somehow it seems like the experience should stay there...